Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Carrytel

[ON] Carrytel Cable Internet service 100M/$39.99, 30M/$34.99, 15M/$29.99

Oct 15, 2008
9 posts
36 upvotes
xinhai wrote: I am with Teksavvy currently. I am thinking to switch to CarryTel 100/10 cable internet service and use their modem which is Hitron CDA3. Also I use freephoneline.ca service at my home. I am wandering that my home phone still working with CarryTel 100/10 cable internet service? Since IP address is showing in States. Is this would be a problem? Please I need some experts advice.
Anybody?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
xinhai wrote: Anybody?
Your IP address geolocation, in of itself, has nothing to do with whether Freephoneline will work properly. FPL will work from the U.S.
However, anyone using any communication service (or even when playing online games or using other online services) should understand that the longer the path to the server being used, the greater the potential exists for a problem to occur somewhere along that path. FPL's servers are located in southern Ontario.

Jitter and pings between you and the SIP server being used matter.

A.Use winmtr http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/

B. For Freephoneline.ca (based in Ontario), test to voip.freephoneline.ca (let winmtr ping about 100 times), voip2.freephoneline.ca, and voip4.freephoneline.ca. You can copy text to clipboard and paste your results (do not post your own IP public address though) and post them for others to examine if you want.

C. Look at the very last hop or line. Take a look at your average ping--and your maximum. You want those values to be relatively close.
You do not want high pings and lots of jitter (you do not want a lot of variation between each ping). If you get horrible results (pings over 200ms), you will experience issues.

I get between 11 (voip.freephoneline.ca and voip2.freephoneline.ca)-24ms (voip4.freephonline.ca) on average, depending on the server I'm testing to. Preferably, you want pings below 100ms.
Note that I'm not using Carrytel.

Anything over 200ms is unacceptable. You'll begin to encounter crosstalk, even if an untrained ear doesn't notice. So, if you're getting really high pings and jitter, you're going to have problems.

What you don't want to see is 40, 45, 50, 35, 500, 40, 30, 45, 700. That's bad jitter.
You want relatively consistent pings without a lot of variation.

Ping is a measurement of data packet transmission, and ping does affect delay or lag. All gamers know, almost inherently, that lag affects them negatively. A PC gamer will pound his or her keyboard in hope that a character will respond on his or her monitor, quickly, but when there's a delay or lag, reality doesn't meet expectation. A gamer can see this problem visually. Over VoIP, anything over 200-210 ms, you will typically start to encounter crosstalk due to increased delay, even if the untrained ear doesn't notice. All VoIP services are subject to the same scientific principles including the fact that speed of transmission affects delay.

If you want a good explanation of what's required read the first four pages of the PDF guide located at http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839.

Also . . .

Nettis 4422 modem from Carry Telecom (click the "Internet" tab)
http://www.carrytel.ca/support.aspx.
Q : DSL - My VoIP phone does not work with Netis 4422 modem.
A: Please download the newest Netis firmware file at www.carrytel.ca/download/netis1228.zip
and update the firmware file netis1228.img for your modem. The new firmware has been tested
and working with most of Voip phone providers

Btw, the official RFD Freephoneline thread is over here: freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... ip-821229/.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on May 23rd, 2017 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Sep 28, 2008
95 posts
24 upvotes
Ottawa
ripsnort wrote: I signed up for service to give it a try. Currently with Rogers and annoyed at the annual price increases.

Does anyone know if Carrytel provides a mail relay host that can be accessed by IP addresses on their network?
Answering my own question after I found some time tonight to test: no mail relay host, but gmail can be used as a relay host without issue. No ports blocked. My service runs at full 100/10, no issues.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
Anyone in Oakville signed up for the cable?

How is it locally?

THX
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1204 posts
465 upvotes
Mississauga
I just signed up, switching from rogers. setup is next week, they offered me rental wifi router, is anyone using that? how is the signal with that?
Dec 20, 2015
28 posts
4 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Anyone that could advise how to setup a static route to Hitron modem in Gargoyle? I'd like to avoid disconnecting the router just to check the modem stats. Thank you.
Sep 9, 2015
316 posts
125 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Just a quick update.

I just got off live chat with netflix. I was subbed to Canadian Netflix and all of a sudden my IP has been switched to WASHINGTON, US. Brooklyn Nine-Nine just released and it's no longer available for US Netflix.

I was advised to call the ISP to flush the DNS... very peculiar indeed.
Feb 1, 2012
59 posts
11 upvotes
NEPEAN
rainyeyes wrote: Just a quick update.

I just got off live chat with netflix. I was subbed to Canadian Netflix and all of a sudden my IP has been switched to WASHINGTON, US. Brooklyn Nine-Nine just released and it's no longer available for US Netflix.

I was advised to call the ISP to flush the DNS... very peculiar indeed.
That's already been discussed your IP will change to a Canadian one in 2-8 weeks according to support.
May 19, 2012
422 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
djjungly wrote: I just signed up, switching from rogers. setup is next week, they offered me rental wifi router, is anyone using that? how is the signal with that?
i was told there is no rental modem for 100 mpbs.
Dec 2, 2016
443 posts
224 upvotes
GTA
Anybody experience slow buffering on YouTube?
Sep 9, 2015
316 posts
125 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
dirtydenim86 wrote: That's already been discussed your IP will change to a Canadian one in 2-8 weeks according to support.
No I already had a Canadian ip. It got switched BACK to an American IP.

This started about a week ago at 3 am on Thursday my internet crashed and the next day my internet came back with American Netflix.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1204 posts
465 upvotes
Mississauga
anshen wrote: i was told there is no rental modem for 100 mpbs.
I was told I couldn't buy wifi router for 100MBPS but I can rent it for 6.98
Sep 24, 2013
13 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
stebum wrote: Anybody experience slow buffering on YouTube?
Yes, I've experienced it with Carrytel, but with DSL service.
Oct 6, 2008
401 posts
108 upvotes
bolton, ont
stebum wrote: Anybody experience slow buffering on YouTube?
yes but only when utorrent was running and even if utorrent was just seeding at ~ 100kb/s
but that was a few days ago, it now seems better
May 22, 2013
466 posts
41 upvotes
Is there a way to get free installation for DSL.
It says free installation on the main page for DSL, but at the order I'm being charged $39.
I'm using my own modem.
Oct 17, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
I just got the carrytel installation and ask them to split the cable line so that I can have 2 providers.

It's been over 1 hour and I can't get any internet access. Connected my computer directly to the modem and tried 192.168.100.1 and it doesn't even load.... Anyone had the same issue?
Oct 17, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
Just installed carrytel today and I'm currently having issues.

It's been over 2 hours...

Connected directly to modem but won't let me see 192.168.100.1 or access the internet
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1819 posts
1393 upvotes
Toronto
I just placed an order with Carrytel today. Currently I'm using Acanac Cable. Do I need to completely disconnect my Acanac Cable before the Carrytel/Roger's tech comes to my home for installation? I live in a condo in downtown Toronto.
Aug 26, 2011
127 posts
79 upvotes
nubletslol wrote: Just installed carrytel today and I'm currently having issues.

It's been over 2 hours...

Connected directly to modem but won't let me see 192.168.100.1 or access the internet

Reset your modem ... press and hold the small the reset button for ten seconds.
Nov 25, 2012
75 posts
5 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Happy with the service so far. Speedtest by Ookla reports 13ms ping, 94.97 Mbps Down, 10.12 Mbps Up and that's through a router.

Had issues at the beginning but after resetting the modem (press and hold the reset button for ten seconds), everything is fine. The modem probably had an old hardware profile that was incompatible with network.