Ongoing Deal Discussion

[carrytel] Carrytel internet 150 mbps for 49.99 (Ont)

Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
99 upvotes
hunt3rshadow wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 4:57 pm
Maybe your rep didn't know what they were doing?
I personally trust a lot more forum members with long standing on RFD forum, even if they change subs often. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

I added a few useful FAQ links to the thread Summary on the 1st page. Everyone is welcome to contribute to the FAQ. Add your links to the posts you found the most informative. Avoid adding "opinions" and "1st impression" links that are not tech loaded, since there're plenty here, and they all vary, some misleading, some objective but seldom confirmed by others.
Apr 22, 2014
67 posts
15 upvotes
North York, ON
I tried to switch from Tecksavvy cable internet to Carrytel. The order keeps getting refused by Rogers third party administration. They say that I do not have cable internet service at my residence which is a lie. My service with Tecksavvy was initially setup by Rogers. I went so far as to call Rogers directly to clear up the matter. They have refused so far to clear up their records to allow the switch. I even explained to the rep that I was speaking to them through vOIP on my cable modem. After about an hour of wasted time, they tried to convince me that easiest way to clear this up is the sign with Rogers (like that's going to happen).

Very frustrating! Anyone else experience these type of games from Rogers where they try to bully people in to signing up with them?
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
99 upvotes
Did you try "transfer" through Carrytel CSR instead of new install? Let TeckSavvy and Carrytel talk to each other, because CRTC sets the transfer rules they must follow. You can also file a complain to CRTC or CCTS, and they will direct it to TS for resolution.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
6496 posts
515 upvotes
6ix
I have had Carrytel 75mbps plan for about a 1.5 weeks now, its been Good. Minor slow downs when watching Youtube but overall pretty impressed.
I just cancelled my previous ISP Ebox internet yesterday.

Apr 3, 2005
279 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
I knew what I had signed up for. I mean I am paying almost half what Rogers is charging for a similar plan so I knew reliability is not comparable to the big 3. But I thought it would go down once a while and only for a short period of time. Luckily I am back online this afternoon so the outage lasted almost 12 hours.

Speed is fairly consistent for me so far. I am getting 75Mbps/10Mbps throughout the day, I have tested the speed during peak hours as well.
discostar wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 4:03 pm
The service is very inconsistent. It has been very good for the last week but today again it is down to 20 Mbps all day.
I have to admit, Carrytel is cheap but it is not even close to the quality of the big guys.
Aug 12, 2017
81 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
BlueEL wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 8:03 pm
I knew what I had signed up for. I mean I am paying almost half what Rogers is charging for a similar plan so I knew reliability is not comparable to the big 3. But I thought it would go down once a while and only for a short period of time. Luckily I am back online this afternoon so the outage lasted almost 12 hours.

Speed is fairly consistent for me so far. I am getting 75Mbps/10Mbps throughout the day, I have tested the speed during peak hours as well.
Maybe you did but I did not after reading all the positive reviews on this forum.
Had I known that I will be saving close to $20 but will be receiving only 50% or less of the service that I am paying for then I would have not switched the providers. I do not really see it as cost saving but rather paying less for getting less.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3027 posts
173 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
discostar wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 4:03 pm
The service is very inconsistent. It has been very good for the last week but today again it is down to 20 Mbps all day.
I have to admit, Carrytel is cheap but it is not even close to the quality of the big guys.
Are thes low speeds and outages actually a CarryTel problem or does Rogers play a part in that?
Because I don't understand why people are having so many problems.

I'm currently with Teksavvy in Cogeco territory, have been with them just over two years and in tat time I had two short outages that affected me.
I couldn't live with more than 2 or 3 outages a year, and short ones at that - no outages that last days.
Dec 20, 2015
322 posts
129 upvotes
Nunavut
If this service is completely garbage for me the first month, can I switch to start.ca for a free transfer and keep the $99 tc4350 modem from carrytel? There's no contract so I can't see why this wouldn't work.
😃😃😃
Aug 12, 2017
81 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
I think that you may have to wait about two weeks before you can use the modem with another provider.
Dec 20, 2015
322 posts
129 upvotes
Nunavut
discostar wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 9:53 pm
I think that you may have to wait about two weeks before you can use the modem with another provider.
Thanks. I'm going to keep my Fido running for a month as a backup plan and switch to Start.ca after a month if the service is flaky. I'm more concerned about outages than slow-downs.
😃😃😃
May 5, 2017
21 posts
7 upvotes
McLaren__F1 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 6:55 pm
I have had Carrytel 75mbps plan for about a 1.5 weeks now, its been Good. Minor slow downs when watching Youtube but overall pretty impressed.
I just cancelled my previous ISP Ebox internet yesterday.

Hey, I am about to switch to ebox from Fido. Ebox has the 33$ for 75/10 promotion for 1 year. Did you have a bad experience with ebox?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
6496 posts
515 upvotes
6ix
lmntngrn wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 10:17 pm
Hey, I am about to switch to ebox from Fido. Ebox has the 33$ for 75/10 promotion for 1 year. Did you have a bad experience with ebox?
I had EBox for about 1 year before just now switching to Carrytel.
My experience was EBox was excellent, no throttle no slowdowns or outtages, i had the 30mbps package. They do give you an QC/MTL IP address btw.
When i cancelled yesterday they tried to offer me that 75mbps 1 year promo.
My connection was downtown Toronto btw.
Sep 12, 2014
8 posts
1 upvote
Burlington, ON
hunt3rshadow wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 4:57 pm
That's odd. When I installed with them (Aug 13th) , they said that I don't have to cancel my current ISP at the time (Teksavvy). In fact, I was still running both Carrytel and Teksavvy for about two weeks before I finally cancelled on Teksavvy. Maybe your rep didn't know what they were doing?
When you signed up did they send a tech out to your place? Did you have two modems one for each service?
Aug 17, 2008
482 posts
8 upvotes
Joe914 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 10:43 pm
When you signed up did they send a tech out to your place? Did you have two modems one for each service?
Yes - it's a Rogers tech though (I got the Cable 75/10 package). And yes, I still had the old modem with my Teksavvy service, while the technician installed another modem for Carrytel. He used a cable splitter so that both the cables could plug into the outlet at the same time.
Banned
Dec 22, 2013
377 posts
99 upvotes
McLaren__F1 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 10:35 pm
When i cancelled yesterday they tried to offer me that 75mbps 1 year promo.
Why didn't you take that promo? It sounds better than Carrytel's 75/10. But... for outside cable customers they offer Free Installation on transfer only. Yet add $50 activation fee - for what? Did anyone try asking them to cancel that fee? Plus $20 BYOD fee with your modem - why extra, this sounds the same as activation? The last 2 fees look like a rip-off to me.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)