Ongoing Deal Discussion

[carrytel] Carrytel internet 150 mbps for 49.99 (Ont)

Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
279 upvotes
raccoon wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 11:38 pm
Should I trust this provider? Seen some negative review
This thread is for Carrytel cable plans. Your link is about VDSL telephone line based internet plans. Bell offers Fibe plan 50/10 on VDSL lines, so its not FTTN direct to home. Carrytel just buys bandwidth wholesale from them, so they offer 50/10 too, and its done via telephone lines to home (ordinary twisted pair cooper wire). So the Fibe plans have nothing to do with higher speed FTTN Fiber plans using fiber cable direct to home. These FTTN plans may be time restricted to Bell service only, but they are not offered by Carrytel or other small providers.

"Existing Bell "Fibe" service is accomplished by providing a fibre cable to the neighborhood interface (that large gray green box around the corner from your home) and plain old twisted copper wire pairs to your home on the existing pole lines."
Mar 22, 2004
236 posts
7 upvotes
London, ON
Anyone from London using these guys? I have Rogers 150MBps and it works well in my neighborhood, and I rarely have issues, HOWEVER I'm sick and tired of being fleeced. I pay $92/mo with Rogers for 150Mbps/350GB. I just don't want to buy myself a headache if the service/support is not reliable.

I called Carrytel and waited on hold for a sales rep for about 8 minutes before getting someone, which is a bit of a disappointment. They confirmed that I can get 75 & 150 to my address in London.
May 5, 2017
21 posts
7 upvotes
McLaren__F1 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 10:35 pm
I had EBox for about 1 year before just now switching to Carrytel.
My experience was EBox was excellent, no throttle no slowdowns or outtages, i had the 30mbps package. They do give you an QC/MTL IP address btw.
When i cancelled yesterday they tried to offer me that 75mbps 1 year promo.
My connection was downtown Toronto btw.
Thank you for the insight. I was all ready to switch over, especially with an additional 2 dollars off a month from the group promo ($31/mo) then the additional $6 for the modem/mo... what ticked me off was that they called me with an unexpected fee for installation as Fido apparently uses a "different" technology than Rogers. This will add another $50 to the whole 12 month venture I was going to commit to..

You vouch of confidence with Ebox made me go ahead and commit to the service. It's still cheaper than CarryTel for the year by about $50 by the end of year.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1799 posts
54 upvotes
Vaughan
ncnmra wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 1:55 pm
I called Carrytel and waited on hold for a sales rep for about 8 minutes before getting someone, which is a bit of a disappointment. They confirmed that I can get 75 & 150 to my address in London.
8 minutes is amazing, try to call TekSavvy :)
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
279 upvotes
lmntngrn wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 5:19 pm
This will add another $50 to the whole 12 month venture I was going to commit to.
You vouch of confidence with Ebox made me go ahead.
Ebox also charges installation fee if not transferred, $50 sub activation fee, and $20 BYOM fee, plus taxes on these fees, so all bunch of extra cash making their 75/10 offer not that attractive.
Mar 22, 2004
236 posts
7 upvotes
London, ON
fooit wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:14 am
8 minutes is amazing, try to call TekSavvy :)
I used TekSavvy years ago and had a good experience, so I don't know how they are now. However I usually have noticed that SALES are much easier to reach than SUPPORT. If it takes 8 mins to reach sales, how long is the wait for support?

As much as I despise Rogers, they ended up offering me 150u for $69/mo (modem included) for 12 months (Was paying $92). It is still more expensive than the CarryTel offering, but I don't have to jump through hoops to to make a switch into the unknown. I will see what happens in a year with these other carriers.

The total degradation of customer service lately is staggering.
Nov 20, 2013
180 posts
77 upvotes
Burlington, ON
When people have encountered issues with Carrytel, it it typically due to:
1. The last mile providers (Cogeco, Rogers, Bell) or physical wiring/infrastructure
2. CarryTel themselves - servers, routers, DNS, etc...
3. Their backbone connection/provider (Cogent?)
Are the issues any more prevalent with DSL, Rogers or Cogeco?
Have the issues been more performance degradation or full outages?
Feb 10, 2015
33 posts
8 upvotes
London, ON
ncnmra wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 1:55 pm
Anyone from London using these guys? I have Rogers 150MBps and it works well in my neighborhood, and I rarely have issues, HOWEVER I'm sick and tired of being fleeced. I pay $92/mo with Rogers for 150Mbps/350GB. I just don't want to buy myself a headache if the service/support is not reliable.

Ya im in London (Byron) and Ive had the 100MBps plan with these guys since April and its been working perfectly. I highly recommend you switch especially given the price.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
2086 posts
340 upvotes
Montreal
Carrytel improve a lot (even though they don't sound nice on the phone seriously lol), internet down called them they give the basic support trying to bring it back then nothing work, the next morning Bell technician show up and fix it. Carrytel called back to make sure everything was working fine. This is a major improvement compared to the early days where it was almost impossible to reach support.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3027 posts
173 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
ncnmra wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:40 am
The total degradation of customer service lately is staggering.
Agreed.

I'm still with Teksavvy and last time I needed support about a year ago it was still fine.
Still had to wait about 10 minutes but then I got a support person ho actually knew what he was doing rather than someone just reading from a script.
But acouple of weeks ago I called Teksavvy support, not because I neede them, just to see how long it would take to get someone on the phone.
Well, all the system told me is that the wait time is over one hour. Ridiculous, but as long as things are working it doesn't affect me directly.

I assume that's all a result of too many ISPs chasing too few subscribers, driving prices and thus profit margins down and having to cut back staff.

At another location I'm with KOS out of Kingston, small local ISP. Their prices are a bit higher but one usually reaches very knowledgable support right way or after a minute or two wait.
Mar 22, 2004
236 posts
7 upvotes
London, ON
krs wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:10 am
Well, all the system told me is that the wait time is over one hour. Ridiculous, but as long as things are working it doesn't affect me directly.
Maybe it is the time of year, or maybe as you stated this is the new norm for CS across the board. Over the last two weeks, I have had 45+ minute wait times with Rogers, Eastlink (small ISP up north), TD VISA, and a few others. I'm hoping it is just a "back-to-school" aftermath but I'm skeptical. Online "chat" seems to be the preferred method for the bigger companies, but that means that they seem to set a standard for the others that don't have it and therefore the phone support goes out the window. I'm not an old geezer by any means, but phone support was my preferred method, especially in sensitive cases like filing a dispute with my credit card. To have to wait 40 minutes and then get transferred three times, repeating the issue each time is a joke.

Rant over, sorry for the thread jack.

As to my Carrytel situation, I will be watching them over the coming months. My $69 deal at Rogers is month-to-month, so if the reports continue to show good performance/service, I'll make the jump. $20/mo difference for the same service is not something to scoff at. Carrytel DID confirm that my address does have the 150u available.
Mar 15, 2011
2 posts
I signed up with Carrytel about 2 months ago and so far I have been impressed with the service (75/10 RFD Special). I was impressed with the service that I referred my in-laws and got it installed there too through their referral program. They offer $20 for every referral but what they don't tell you is that the person you refer cannot take advantage of any other promotions in order for you to get their $20 referral credit. This is just a warning for those who expect rewards for referring friends/family to this provider.
May 5, 2017
21 posts
7 upvotes
arnycus wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:38 am
Ebox also charges installation fee if not transferred, $50 sub activation fee, and $20 BYOM fee, plus taxes on these fees, so all bunch of extra cash making their 75/10 offer not that attractive.
The math still favours me going with EBox. I will save about $50 by the end of the year if I stay with Ebox as opposed to CarryTel.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)