Ongoing Deal Discussion

[carrytel] Carrytel internet 150 mbps for 49.99 (Ont)

Jan 19, 2017
7 posts
1 upvote
So what's the latest word on all the people who said that their 150 cable line shows 150 on the speed test sites but never in actual download speed/youtube buffering?

Was it a one time thing or is it ongoing?
Oct 23, 2007
244 posts
6 upvotes
Clarington
ncnmra wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:24 am
Maybe it is the time of year, or maybe as you stated this is the new norm for CS across the board. Over the last two weeks, I have had 45+ minute wait times with Rogers, Eastlink (small ISP up north), TD VISA, and a few others. I'm hoping it is just a "back-to-school" aftermath but I'm skeptical. Online "chat" seems to be the preferred method for the bigger companies, but that means that they seem to set a standard for the others that don't have it and therefore the phone support goes out the window. I'm not an old geezer by any means, but phone support was my preferred method, especially in sensitive cases like filing a dispute with my credit card. To have to wait 40 minutes and then get transferred three times, repeating the issue each time is a joke.

Rant over, sorry for the thread jack.

As to my Carrytel situation, I will be watching them over the coming months. My $69 deal at Rogers is month-to-month, so if the reports continue to show good performance/service, I'll make the jump. $20/mo difference for the same service is not something to scoff at. Carrytel DID confirm that my address does have the 150u available.
Happy CarryTel subscriber since May 2017. Heavy daily use with streaming etc. Never an issue. Called Teksavvy Sales about a month ago to set father in law up. Was on hold for almost an hour then hung up. Was kind of embarrassed actually. I was talking up Teksavvy to my father in law and convinced him to switch and then couldn't get in touch with them!
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2009
4511 posts
728 upvotes
Scarborough
I ordered the service a few weeks ago and had the technician come last Saturday to install it. Everything went smoothly and enjoying the full 75/10. Would recommend at this price point, deal can't be beat.

Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1522 posts
263 upvotes
I've used teksaavy for years. Called their sales department to set up my friend. 2 hour wait... what kind of sales team do they staff?!
Dec 20, 2010
119 posts
36 upvotes
Took me just over 2.5 hours to get through to Tek Savvy to cancel rofl
Nov 8, 2013
15 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
TechDaddy wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:38 am
When people have encountered issues with Carrytel, it it typically due to:
1. The last mile providers (Cogeco, Rogers, Bell) or physical wiring/infrastructure
2. CarryTel themselves - servers, routers, DNS, etc...
3. Their backbone connection/provider (Cogent?)
Are the issues any more prevalent with DSL, Rogers or Cogeco?
Have the issues been more performance degradation or full outages?
Carrytel doesn't have own DNS and ping to third-party DNS is high. But to Google's DNS even worse. We didn't have big problems first one or two months with the cable and now it's like a nightmare. No degradation of speed just no internet occasionally at any time until we reset the router. Sometimes it works two days sometimes we need to restart it two-three times a day. Sometimes outages are 30-60 minutes and restarting the router doesn't help.
Nov 20, 2013
180 posts
77 upvotes
Burlington, ON
AnDru746 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:39 pm
Carrytel doesn't have own DNS and ping to third-party DNS is high. But to Google's DNS even worse. We didn't have big problems first one or two months with the cable and now it's like a nightmare. No degradation of speed just no internet occasionally at any time until we reset the router. Sometimes it works two days sometimes we need to restart it two-three times a day. Sometimes outages are 30-60 minutes and restarting the router doesn't help.
Are you on Rogers or Cogeco?
Do you have an integrated modem/router or separate devices?
If separate, when this happens, do the modem status lights indicate that the connection has dropped?
What you describe almost sounds like the router is suspect.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
6496 posts
515 upvotes
6ix
sambul92 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 11:27 pm
Why didn't you take that promo? It sounds better than Carrytel's 75/10. But... for outside cable customers they offer Free Installation on transfer only. Yet add $50 activation fee - for what? Did anyone try asking them to cancel that fee? Plus $20 BYOD fee with your modem - why extra, this sounds the same as activation? The last 2 fees look like a rip-off to me.
Because it was a 1 year promo and after that it would be $59.95 plus tax
Mar 22, 2004
236 posts
7 upvotes
London, ON
mathewvc wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 1:35 pm
I've used teksaavy for years. Called their sales department to set up my friend. 2 hour wait... what kind of sales team do they staff?!
T_Ruff wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 1:36 pm
Took me just over 2.5 hours to get through to Tek Savvy to cancel rofl
Weak....Sauce.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
6496 posts
515 upvotes
6ix
lmntngrn wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 5:19 pm
Thank you for the insight. I was all ready to switch over, especially with an additional 2 dollars off a month from the group promo ($31/mo) then the additional $6 for the modem/mo... what ticked me off was that they called me with an unexpected fee for installation as Fido apparently uses a "different" technology than Rogers. This will add another $50 to the whole 12 month venture I was going to commit to..

You vouch of confidence with Ebox made me go ahead and commit to the service. It's still cheaper than CarryTel for the year by about $50 by the end of year.

Thanks
I had the ebox group promo as well, i was paying $47.40 after taxes for the 30mbps package ( I had my own modem DCM476). I had to pay for the $49.99 "Cable Installation Ontario" fee when i first signed up because i was using Teksavvy DSL previously for 6 years.
Lemme know if you need a cable modem, i have one for sale :)
Nov 5, 2013
191 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Carrytel or Cannet for stable internet?

Currently i'm on Rogers - student plan for $85 500/20 peak hours i get 20/20 with google speed test. Not happy - Carry tell and Cannet have mixed reviews not sure which one to choose for 150/15
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
SolutionisT wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 6:34 pm

Currently i'm on Rogers - student plan for $85 500/20 peak hours i get 20/20 with google speed test. Not happy - Carry tell and Cannet have mixed reviews not sure which one to choose for 150/15
Overall it seems carrytel has better reviews and less instances of slowdowns. There are of course users who lose service or have issues like every other isp but carrytel doesn't seem to have from my viewing of both threads as much systematic throttling/slowdown at night
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8022 posts
2355 upvotes
SolutionisT wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 6:34 pm

Currently i'm on Rogers - student plan for $85 500/20 peak hours i get 20/20 with google speed test.
That Google speedtest isn't overly useful. Use a wired, ethernet connection directly from your modem to your computer.
Try http://start.speedtest.net/. Choose "Begin Test (your preferred server)."

If you're dealing with local node congestion, switching to another cable ISP from Rogers isn't going to change or improve anything.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2758 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
I'm currently with Cannet and going to cancel. Can I just transfer without having an installation tech come by, if I cancel and close Cannet a week before the Carrytel activates me.

Or must my line still be active by the time carrytel connects me?
Nov 5, 2013
191 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Webslinger wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:39 pm
That Google speedtest isn't overly useful. Use a wired, ethernet connection directly from your modem to your computer.
Try http://start.speedtest.net/. Choose "Begin Test (your preferred server)."

If you're dealing with local node congestion, switching to another cable ISP from Rogers isn't going to change or improve anything.
if thats the case i will prefer to save $35 a month and downgrade... most likely go with Carrytel?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)