Ongoing Deal Discussion

[carrytel] Carrytel internet 150 mbps for 49.99 (Ont)

Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8022 posts
2355 upvotes
SolutionisT wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:54 pm
if thats the case i will prefer to save $35 a month and downgrade... most likely go with Carrytel?
Not that I'm a fan of Rogers, but why would you deal with a 3rd party ISP to get your problem fixed? That's just going to take longer than dealing with Rogers directly.
Deal with your problem first (if you actually have one). Then think about switching.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
279 upvotes
McLaren__F1 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 4:43 pm
Because it was a 1 year promo and after that it would be $59.95 plus tax
Big deal... After one year, prices for 75/10 plan level will further drop, so you will only gain by jumping on another plan then. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Feb 16, 2011
35 posts
3 upvotes
SkimGuy wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 12:59 pm
I ordered the service a few weeks ago and had the technician come last Saturday to install it. Everything went smoothly and enjoying the full 75/10. Would recommend at this price point, deal can't be beat.

Thanks OP
Same here.. have been using for nearly a month now with no problems. Was with Rogers earlier 300gb with 30 Mbps cap and paying $59 per month.

Thanks OP.
Nov 5, 2013
191 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
espo2k wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:56 pm
If you have full speeds (or close to) on speedtest.net but crap actual speeds such as on servers such as speedof.me, testmy.net, torrents/etc then it's the ISP that is bottle necking you.
youre correct, speedtest.net shows 500+ and speed of me 35

http://speedof.me/show.php?img=170913032428-5955.png

Last edited by SolutionisT on Sep 12th, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8022 posts
2355 upvotes
espo2k wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:56 pm
If you have full speeds (or close to) on speedtest.net but crap actual speeds such as on servers such as speedof.me, testmy.net, torrents/etc then it's the ISP that is bottle necking you.
If it's to a single specific server . . . there's other things to consider, including server load, faulty routers along the path dropping packets, routing to the destination/peering, etc.
If the problem is occurring internationally, then you need to consider the transit providers being used by the ISP.
Regardless, the point I'm making is that I sometimes see people jumping from a cable ISP incumbent to a cable ISP indie, hoping that will fix local node congestion, and it doesn't.
Last edited by Webslinger on Sep 12th, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Dec 15, 2012
672 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
Webslinger wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:29 pm
If it's to a a single specific server . . . there's other things to consider, including server load, faulty routers along the path dropping packets, routing to the destination/peering, etc.
If the problem is occurring internationally, then you need to consider the transit providers being used by the ISP.
Regardless, the point I'm making is that I sometimes see people jumping from a cable ISP incumbent to a cable ISP indie, hoping that will fix local node congestion, and it doesn't.
Yeah @SolutionisT, I'd weigh @Webslinger's advice a lot more as he is very experienced on these forums. Moreover, you already have Rogers as your isp, which is the backbone to other isps like Carrytel so if you're struggling there at peak hours, there is a chance that your problem could carry over. Kinda interesting to see Rogers struggle in a speed test.

I'm going to delete my earlier post because it could mislead future readers and @Webslinger has already quoted and addressed it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8022 posts
2355 upvotes
SolutionisT wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:27 pm
and speed of me 35
When using speedofme, you're basically looking at a single threaded test to, what's likely, Chicago (or some other U.S. server).
http://speedof.me/howitworks.html
"Ashburn(2), Atlanta(3), Boston, Chicago(3), Dallas(3), Denver, Los Angeles(9), Miami(2), New York(2), Newark(2), Philadelphia, San Jose(5), Seattle(2)"
There's no local servers there; all of them are in the U.S.

Using speedtest.net, you're using a multithreaded test to Toronto. Toronto is closer; it's a multithreaded test, so you're going to get better results.
Speedtest.net is more useful for looking at potential issues between you and your ISP.

The speedofme test could indicate poor routing tables being used by Rogers to that specific server; an overloaded speedofme server; a router dropping packets between you and the server, in the U.S., being used to test; etc. It could be an issue with your ISP--but it could be a problem outside of Rogers' control as well. If you're having specific issues with Rogers, I suggest contacting Rogers. Provide them with the information they request. Maybe talk to a level 2 tech. Bottom line is I would make sure there's no issue involving local node congestion and signal issues to your modem (or in your area) that Rogers can fix before jumping ship to another cable ISP.
Last edited by Webslinger on Sep 12th, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 5, 2013
191 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Make sense, will stick to Rogers and get it resolved :)
May 8, 2016
22 posts
1 upvote
Hey guys,

Need help! After researching over the internet, I've made my choice to go for Carrytel as my internet for my new apartment. I'm thinking of getting 150mbps for $49.99/m. Can someone guide me how to go about to order a connection? Is there any promo going on or any promotion code? Is there any way of saving in this plan?

I found some promo codes over the internet but mostly they are for the FTTH plans. Now for the same rate FTTH plan is giving 50mbps, is it worth the price?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7710 posts
1217 upvotes
London
jawadjaved87 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:47 am
Hey guys,

Need help! After researching over the internet, I've made my choice to go for Carrytel as my internet for my new apartment. I'm thinking of getting 150mbps for $49.99/m. Can someone guide me how to go about to order a connection? Is there any promo going on or any promotion code? Is there any way of saving in this plan?

I found some promo codes over the internet but mostly they are for the FTTH plans. Now for the same rate FTTH plan is giving 50mbps, is it worth the price?
Refer to post #779 on page 52 if you are deciding between cable or FTTN.
Nov 20, 2013
180 posts
77 upvotes
Burlington, ON
apvm wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 4:25 am
Refer to post #779 on page 52 if you are deciding between cable or FTTN.
I read the post and it indicates a clear advantage to FTTN. That is assuming all things are equal though. If I can get 40/10 unlimited cable (Cogeco land) with CarryTel for 25% less than 15/10/400 FTTN (My profile is only 15/4) with my current provider (TSI), would I not be better off?
Nov 8, 2013
15 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
TechDaddy wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 4:28 pm
Are you on Rogers or Cogeco?
Do you have an integrated modem/router or separate devices?
If separate, when this happens, do the modem status lights indicate that the connection has dropped?
What you describe almost sounds like the router is suspect.
Rogers/North York . The lights of the modem are ok. A router is ok but can't register in the network through the modem. I connected a computer to the modem directly while the outages and had not the connection. Obviously in a case of a router's issue the computer should get connected after restarting the modem but not. Only reset. Also while the network tracing the first gateway is reachable with stable ~40ms. Rogers and Start had it with 3-4ms.
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
279 upvotes
espo2k wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:39 pm
you already have Rogers as your isp, which is the backbone to other isps like Carrytel
Not true. Rogers, Cogeco, Bell are used by Carrytel as last mile carriers - only to their 1st closest to your home hub, where Carrytel traffic is redirected to Cogent Toronto server. Rogers network and routing tables hardly have impact on speed tests result, especially if measured speed drops are reported by users located in varying areas, as Cogent DNS servers are used to route Carrytel traffic, not Rogers'.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
7710 posts
1217 upvotes
London
TechDaddy wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 8:55 am
I read the post and it indicates a clear advantage to FTTN. That is assuming all things are equal though. If I can get 40/10 unlimited cable (Cogeco land) with CarryTel for 25% less than 15/10/400 FTTN (My profile is only 15/4) with my current provider (TSI), would I not be better off?
Entirely up to you. That post is only a suggestion for DSL if you are a serious online gamer since the chances for cable has ping jitters is higher than DSL.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
1882 posts
139 upvotes
I've been using Carrytel's 150/15 service for over a month now. At the beginning, I wasn't getting the advertised speed so I submitted a ticket and Rogers did something on their end and now I consistently get 130-140 Mbps (tested via fast.com).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)