• Dec 28th, 2018 7:35 pm
Sep 3, 2006
183 posts
39 upvotes
Montreal
sumtimw0ng wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 7:37 am
yes, price increases
I called them. I asked them if the price is supposed to increase after a specific amount of time. They clearly said no. I insisted and once again said there is no plan to increase the price in the future for people that take this deal. I recorded the conversation (allowed by law) just in case.
Nov 26, 2015
298 posts
107 upvotes
Montréal
Are they new in Quebec? Correct me if I am wrong but I remember I checked them a few months ago and they didn't have Quebec services.

Either way the prices are solid I am switching too. Thanks OP.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2094 posts
2006 upvotes
Montreal
Voltz23 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 10:49 am
I called them. I asked them if the price is supposed to increase after a specific amount of time. They clearly said no. I insisted and once again said there is no plan to increase the price in the future for people that take this deal. I recorded the conversation (allowed by law) just in case.
Thanks for checking with them and posting but if they decide to raise their prices in the future, what use is going to be a recording? Are you going to take them to small claims?
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
13056 posts
2453 upvotes
Markham
Voltz23 wrote:
historically I haven't see Carrytel raise their price plan
if anything their promo been betting cheaper
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Sep 3, 2006
183 posts
39 upvotes
Montreal
Temporel wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 11:05 am
Thanks for checking with them and posting but if they decide to raise their prices in the future, what use is going to be a recording? Are you going to take them to small claims?
Well, any company can slightly increase their prices for various reasons. But if next year they suddenly rise my plan to 35$ (instead of 20$), I will ask them why. If they say it is because my promo price was for 12 months only, I will proceed to the small claims with the recording. A popular TV show in french (La Facture) pointed out everyone should record all their conversations with their ISP. The only thing that could void this recording is if the contract I sign online mention a duration for the promo. I will look for this when I signup today. :)
Sep 3, 2006
183 posts
39 upvotes
Montreal
I just checked their Terms. There is no specific end but they say the promo price can end at any time.. So yeah, I guess my recording doesn't have much value... :(

Any promotion or offering involving a discounting of the price of any of the Services (in each case a "Promotion") commences upon the initial receipt of the Service or Services by our customer and end on the last day of the period stipulated with respect to that Promotion. The customer will be billed for the relevant Service(s) at the regular price for such Service as set out by Carry Telecom or as otherwise communicated to the customer. It is understood and agreed that unless it is specified to the contrary, a promotion is available for a limited time only and may be changed or terminated at Carry Telecom’s discretion, although such change or termination shall not affect the period of the Promotion for which a customer has already agreed to, under the premise that the customer is entitled to the benefits of the Promotion involved. For greater certainty this provision shall apply, at the sole discretion of Carry Telecom, to all promotions whether they are signed up for by the customer directly with Carry Telecom or through the Carry Telecom’s distribution partners or agents.
Feb 20, 2004
10 posts
5 upvotes
Voltz23 wrote:
I just got off the phone confirming my order with them and asked the same thing.

The sales rep said that the promo price is a promo and can increase at any time, but they'll give an one month notice via email beforehand.

I still went ahead with my order because between the price + one month free, I'm still getting my money's worth even if I have to switch provider again in a year. Even if they increase their prices by $10/month, I'd still be ahead compared to what I'm paying with Teksavvy right now.
Sep 3, 2006
183 posts
39 upvotes
Montreal
Same for me. I was with Teksavvy. I called them to know if they can pricematch.. Unfortunately they do not.. Oh well.. I maybe come back later if Carrytel rise their prices too much and too soon ;)
Jun 26, 2011
14 posts
3 upvotes
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Temporel wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 10:17 am
No, it's also available in Québec.

Thanks to "menajen" (OP) for posting.
Yes, the 19.99$ /15 M and 29.99$/ 50M are available in Quebec. I signed them up last weekend.

I meant the 24.99$ / 75m is only available in Ontario.
Jun 26, 2011
14 posts
3 upvotes
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
menajen wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 9:58 am
How is it so far???
It'll be installed after two weeks. I signed up in advance in case it's a limited time offer.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
2094 posts
2006 upvotes
Montreal
Voltz23 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 11:36 am
Well, any company can slightly increase their prices for various reasons. But if next year they suddenly rise my plan to 35$ (instead of 20$), I will ask them why. If they say it is because my promo price was for 12 months only, I will proceed to the small claims with the recording. A popular TV show in french (La Facture) pointed out everyone should record all their conversations with their ISP. The only thing that could void this recording is if the contract I sign online mention a duration for the promo. I will look for this when I signup today. :)

I applaud you for reading the fine print. Maybe your recording will have some sort of moral value even if you don't use it in Small claims court. Like this: " - I'm sorry sir/madam the price was only for ... - Hey, you said this... and I have a recording to prove it! Were you lying to me?"

I did it once with Bhell but to no avail. I also had a recording. In the end, they did NOT honor what they promised. They only said "What!?! you recorded a call without our authorization?" To which I replied: "You do the same without offering an option out and it's legal in Canada to record a phone call if one of the parties is aware."

But who has time for endless complaints to the CRTC? Or whoever is in charge... And go to small claims court?

But as we say in French: "J'ai pas de coeur." I'm still with Bhell because of a special bundle.

But I'm about to jump ship now that I have found cheap Home Internet with Fizz. That will be my revenge on Bhell for constantly raising prices with BS arguments like "We have invested a lot in new infrastructures." Hey! I did not ask for those infrastructure "improvements" so you can make more profits by streaming your Crave TV to all corners of the Country! /rant

I can't wait for those "Please come back" offers. Too late! You had your chance and you blew it, Bye Bye Bhell Internet! (But I'm addicted to my PVR and commercial free Stingray music. Anybody knows how to get that some other ways? Please post or PM me. I eventually will go for an OTA antenna and a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun PVR or something.

I'm sure it'll be MUCH better with another BIG company like Fizz (Vidéotron) right? Lol! /sarcasm
Feb 5, 2013
82 posts
22 upvotes
Ok I'm going to explain once and for all how does the third party providers work in QC (and other places such as ON as well you can use the same model) There are exceptions of course, as everything in life.
I'm trying to make this as simple as possible so if you also work with IT bear with me in the terms here, this is on purpose to simplify for anyone. I'm not paid to write any of this, the below are just my 0.02 cents to humbly help people in the forum as others have helped me. Make your own decisions based on your research. This took me a lot of time to write so I hope it helps someone.

Ok so I will try to clarify for QC users... in case using DSL lines from Bell. This comes from a heavy user with 2 years with them.
I use internet to work, so I use all the time and it has to be stable. Also lots of downloads from ex. Microsft Live (huge gigabyte downloads usually at 35-40Mps . ) Carrytel is pretty solid. I'm actually leaving them to go to cable as I need faster speeds to work and bell is max 50/10( this depends on profile for your house, how bad the cooper wire gets rusty/interference/damage and how far is the DSLAM, for me was 25/10 or 50/4 I took 50/4 this would be the same with Bell (this VARIES a lot by house location).

What they do is that they use Bell infra ( and cable uses Videotron infra or Rogers /Cogeco in Ontario) up to their "datacenter" which is a provider in the USA that I forgot. The way this works is with VLANs on their side of course, so they use DSL Bell FFTN until Bell's datacenter that they put a router that aggregates traffic and routes them to their ISP provider where they have a big link . I'm sure Bell already sets up this for all the 3rd parties. So this is pretty much done everywhere in Canada. In some places I figure Bell/Rogers/Videotron can also offer their backbone to the internet to their providers, being the same service perhaps with different caps/priorities as has been speculated. But this not the case here.

As with all of the other providers, the integrated modem + wifi routers are pretty horrible. They get hot and crash a lot if you don't BRIDGE them as per instructions here: https://www.carrytel.ca/support.aspx . By bridging you make the modem a "dumb" connection to the Bell infra and your Wifi router will do the pppoe auth to get your internet / ip the same way it is done by the pre-configured modem's provider non bridge mode . So you need to be able to do this or ask a friend. You should ALWAYS do this except on Bell / Videotron's modems that you don't usually need. People often confuses the symptoms ( internet dropping / unstable) with the provider being bad, which is not this case. So bridge modem first to solve most issues. Provided you do bridge with a good (depends on model-firmware combination) NetGear/ D-Link / even TP-link you should be fine.

There are reports that their provider blocks some torrents. I'm not a heavy user but it seems to work fine for me. This mostly should affect people who runs/pays for private tormenting which I don't recommend anyway.

The other time the provider can be bad besides the modem is that when they start selling a lot because of new / low price and then they don't increase their backbone contract with their ISP. Even though Carrytel can be occasionally slowish during prime hours ( around 6pm-9pm I'd say, there were drops from sustained 40MBps to perhaps 20Mbps but this depends on a lot of other stuff and mostly didn't happen) I never had problems with it. Other providers have this problem a lot, so you should avoid year contracts as a rule.

The last thing is that their system charges by 30 days. So lets say you start on the 10th, next month your billing cycle can be changed one day sooner if the month is 31days, so it would charge on the 9th of next month, always pre paid. This is the fault of the billing system all the chinese providers use ( CIK, Carry, Altima etc) .

To sum up, The advantages of going with Carry is: no upfronts, no contracts, and good service if your not the kind of person who needs support. But they don't have the big resources the big guys have (and you're funding this when you sign with the big guys - I believe its important to foster competition by supporting the small ones). If you're not tech inclined to DIY and you like to call people to complain / help you, please forget these providers and pay a little more to the main providers.

I hope I clarified all common doubts people have with this provider and similar situations. I recommend to check this thread for QC: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-int ... c-2146261/
Last edited by BearBraz on Nov 29th, 2018 9:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4627 posts
575 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
One question I have that is not covered in the previous post.
I'm with Teksavvy on cable now in Ontario via Cogeco.
I wanted to add CarryTel (cable) and keep Teksavvy say for a month or so before I cancel Teksavvy to make sure CarryTel works out.
Put in an order with CarryTel, the order was accepted but they called me the next day saying I would have to cancel Teksavvy first before they can accept my offer.
I was a bit surprised because I know others have connected two different ISP's via one cable link just using a splitter at the house.

But assuming it is true that I have to cancel Teksavvy first, how long would I typically be without any internet between the time Teksavvy disconnects and CarryTel is operational?

And right now, with Teksavvy, the speed is all over the map. On a 40/10 plan I sometimes get 39/11 which is great and then it drops to 19 down, eben 0.75 Mbps down.
This has been going on for a while with no resolution even though we went through umpteen tests and Teksavvy support.
I'm just wondering if moving to CarryTel would solve that or is it a basic Cogeco problem.
We pretty much eliminated the modem & router as the issue - changed them, also tested direct at the modem, rebooted, the whole nine yards.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2012
49 posts
24 upvotes
COOKSHIRE
well folks...
I made my order online.... and 30mins after I get a call saying they cant be my provider because they can only offer 2mbps upload speed..... and they only offer 15mbps download 10mbps upload 🤦‍♀️. I said so? I dont really mind about the upload speed well she says we cant...

WHAT A JOKE....