Computers & Electronics

Carrytel Speeds Unbearably Slow (SOLVED)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2018 10:13 am
Mar 5, 2014
23 posts
13 upvotes

Carrytel Speeds Unbearably Slow (SOLVED)

Those debating this new carrytel thread, with 3 months free I'm advising to take a pass right now. I can no longer recommend Carrytel to friends. Carrytel used to be reliable. Im on 75/10 and would consistently get in the 45mbps on slower days and mid 60's on average and that is behind my VPN.
Now I am lucky to get over 10mbps, and 1mbps up. I actually ran a speed test and got 0 up, then 0.25mbps up and 6.75mbps down with zero devices but the one connected to carrytel. Not to be a conspiracy theorist but I think they sold more than then have the capability to handle and are pushing lower configs to all modems until they figure out what to do about it. This is NOT a problem with congestion on Rogers node in my area, this is limited to Carrytel. Rogers Ignite running fine. The pings are ridiculous. When I would ping my vpns I would constantly get 30 to my CDN one 35 to my NYC one 37 to Chicago, now I'm getting pings that resemble VPNS from hong kong 180 from CDN over 300 for my others. Even the pings on Carrytel are inconsistent. Customer service is incapable of dealing with this. I've even been the their little head office where like 3 People work handling everything when I picked up my modem. I asked questions about their config files and apparently they had no idea, just the services they offer. With that said Carrytel was rock solid and I was happy with them for the 3 months prior to this.
Anyone know a comparable and reliable plan? I missed the 500 ignite plan that was posted here awhile back.

Frustrated I cant even get close to what I'm paying for. Caveat Emptor I guess this is just the nature of small business growing pains.

UPDATE: Seems there was a major fiber outage in NY that affected Rogers, and thus Carrytel. Carrytel had no control over that situation. The advertised speeds are back to normal and Carrytel is running smoothly again.

Last edited by unclepac on Jun 14th, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
58 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2016
1821 posts
1999 upvotes
i'm on 150/10 plan works fine for me... I guess it depends on your area?
Jul 18, 2014
812 posts
1881 upvotes
Tillsonburg ON
I was thinking of switching from Fido Thanks for the heads up but probably posted this in the wrong section
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3818 posts
112 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I always get advertised speeds (100/10). In Woodbridge, running tomato fw on an r7000.

I would suggest testing directly from the modem. I can't tell you how many times ive seen older/cheaper routers cause crazy bottlenecks. (e900 being notorious)
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2010
1733 posts
789 upvotes
I've been getting horrible speeds today too during and after E3. I'm starting to miss TekSavvy... they may have been slower but they were more reliable. I just hope CarryTel picks it up a bit and improves their service. Their speeds are all over the place, no doubt due to throttling their bandwidth.
Mar 5, 2014
23 posts
13 upvotes
Nah...behind nothing. Downvote the thread, my apologies for posting reality of a cold deal in the hot deals section. Mods here can check my ip. I'm posting from Carrytel.
Images
  • IMG_20180609.jpg
Jun 1, 2018
144 posts
275 upvotes
GTA
I have been on this 75/10 cable plan for about 1 week. No issue so far.
Jun 1, 2018
144 posts
275 upvotes
GTA
Presume you are connecting directly to the modem not thru wifi.

Did you check your modem signals / SN ratio / bondings etc?
Sep 19, 2012
626 posts
353 upvotes
Kitchener
Ya Carrytel is shit. I can't play any online games that require a good connection. I feel like I am playing CSGO with dial up.

They haven't called me back to fix my shit either. Gonna dump them on the next promo that comes up for literally any other company.
Oct 15, 2015
114 posts
92 upvotes
St. Catharines
Working okay in my area (St. Catharines).

Paying for 60/10
Images
  • upload.png
Jul 16, 2016
139 posts
58 upvotes
Running on their 25/10 fttn in Pickering without issues for the past 8 months. Ping is sub 5.
Mar 15, 2007
29 posts
24 upvotes
No probs for me. In Mississauga and a line downtown Toronto. Just did this speed test downtown
Images
  • Screenshot_20180609-201739.png
Sep 19, 2012
626 posts
353 upvotes
Kitchener
Even worse is that I just called them and they just pass the buck onto Rogers, saying its a "group issue" with no eta.

If it's not fixed tomorrow I'm just gonna sign up for the Teksavvy DSL promo.

Paying for 75/10 btw. And in CSGO ping says 80 but its definitely playing like its 2000.
Images
  • ping.png
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
mumbles wrote: I've been getting horrible speeds today too during and after E3. I'm starting to miss TekSavvy... they may have been slower but they were more reliable. I just hope CarryTel picks it up a bit and improves their service. Their speeds are all over the place, no doubt due to throttling their bandwidth.
It seems these no name companies are not interested in user experience, they sign up more people attach them to the network and hope for the best. Sometimes this works, sometimes you get hosed. Then you get lots of customers who say its great switch to them and lots who say its crap never use them, and both are right... :facepalm:
Jimboski wrote: They need to stop taking in new customers until the lag has been dealt with. I've had some hiccups but nothing that really made me angry, hopefully they address the problem.
Its not likely to happen if their goal is maximum profit and who cares about our reputation or investing in stability as long as more people are coming in... :facepalm:
bmosucks wrote: No probs for me. In Mississauga and a line downtown Toronto. Just did this speed test downtown
Now i have the urge to buy a new Toyota. Not. Neutral Face
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2008
1034 posts
1076 upvotes
Ottawa
My mom in Cogeco-land Kingston is getting. 67/11.

She pays for 60/10.
Mar 5, 2014
23 posts
13 upvotes
Don't know DB rating on their upstream but this is what it is right now. Pretty sure carrytel is reading the thread and pushed my modem proper config, now my upstream is still garbage but my down is where it should be (for the time being and so is ping) Thanks for reading threads carrytel.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 8.23.06 PM.png
Mar 5, 2014
23 posts
13 upvotes
And I'm not behind a VPN. I can live with it for now. Hopefully they sort this soon.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 8.40.24 PM.png

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)