Computers & Electronics

Carrytel Speeds Unbearably Slow (SOLVED)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2018 10:13 am
Dec 7, 2016
46 posts
76 upvotes
Where are you located? Might be in certain local areas. I just got this deal and would like to know if other people the boxgrove area are having this issue.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2010
5386 posts
1040 upvotes
Toronto
Been with them for 2 months. Works great. There are times during peak time when I get a lag spike for half a minute. Other than that, it's been good.
---> Buy With Confidence! Over 80+ Feedback <---
Mar 5, 2014
23 posts
13 upvotes
lePetitPrince wrote: Where are you located? Might be in certain local areas. I just got this deal and would like to know if other people the boxgrove area are having this issue.

Scarborough
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3039 posts
1529 upvotes
Markham
Solid service for 2 years, I think it's your line that has problems
Not buying something on sale ISN'T a crime, buying something not on sale IS.
Sep 19, 2012
626 posts
353 upvotes
Kitchener
On canadianoutages.com theres tons of other Rogers customers complaining about same thing (upload below 2).

Someone mentioned that a tech told them it was because of a downed trunk line in upstate NY, and eta on fix is Monday.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32148 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
unclepac wrote: Don't know DB rating on their upstream but this is what it is right now. Pretty sure carrytel is reading the thread and pushed my modem proper config, now my upstream is still garbage but my down is where it should be (for the time being and so is ping) Thanks for reading threads carrytel.
Saturday night, traffic in your neighbourhood might be down with people going out for dinner and a show Winking Face
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1819 posts
1393 upvotes
Toronto
Other than occasional modem reboot, I have no issues with Carrytel

OP, is it possible that the VPN you are using is causing you trouble? I'm using PIA and there are periods that the service is slow due to server transitions.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
2043 posts
696 upvotes
Ottawa
It is probably a rotational throttle by cable.
I have speed issue occasional.
Rogets bandwidth judt saturated from all new deals
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2010
1733 posts
789 upvotes
Looks like my problems were related to an outage. Some folks on Rogers are claiming there is an issue with some lines in New York and this is the reason for the downtime. Some may not see any improvements until Monday. I even had to reboot my modem today to fix some issues. I'll have to test my PS4 out again tonight and see how it goes.
May 6, 2013
70 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver
Latency, ping problems?

You people all do this this Intel puma 6 chipset test for your modems? It's a large problem with Shaw on the west coast for sure that they don't want to discuss (I'm in discussions with Shaw retentions right now, and they want to give me a modem with one) there's lots of them out there.
I'm currently using a really old Arris Motorola 5100 that's not affected so I'm not going to get one, I asked for a xb6 (puma 7) and was declined.
http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
mumbles wrote: I've been getting horrible speeds today too during and after E3. I'm starting to miss TekSavvy... they may have been slower but they were more reliable. I just hope CarryTel picks it up a bit and improves their service. Their speeds are all over the place, no doubt due to throttling their bandwidth.
Given how much cheaper their service is, they're going to have to cut corners somewhere. Looks like they have limited max capacity in some areas.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32148 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
engineered wrote: Given how much cheaper their service is, they're going to have to cut corners somewhere. Looks like they have limited max capacity in some areas.
Indeed, this is why i have stayed with Teksavvy, i like cheaper price but i need reliable service.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Mar 5, 2014
23 posts
13 upvotes
Real_GM wrote: Other than occasional modem reboot, I have no issues with Carrytel

OP, is it possible that the VPN you are using is causing you trouble? I'm using PIA and there are periods that the service is slow due to server transitions.
Actually, zero issues right now on wifi with my VPN other than the upload as you can see. I have no idea what happened the last while. Maybe it is rolling throttle. I have no idea, but when I was down to 6 mbps down and 0.25 up I had just about had it. Like I said I recommended Carrytel to everyone. I guess its just the growing pains of of a smaller competitive business. I also have a PIA sub, but I found it to be too slow for my faster internet speeds, also google was always checking to make sure I wasnt a robot and that got old quick. I have a few VPN subs and found a few as you can see can keep up with a fast router and internet connection. Logicweb is PIA Powerhouse is vypr. Tests done 1 min apart....US East on PIA is a bit congested midwest was best speed I could get out of PIA tonight. It's not my VPN slowing things down. Besides that I posted speedtests earlier without my VPN on. Hoping the issue is resolved soon and I can get back to a stable ISP and recommend them to friends again. Glad to hear I wasnt the only one experiencing issues.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 10.01.14 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-09 at 10.10.00 PM.png
Sep 19, 2012
626 posts
353 upvotes
Kitchener
darryldmbcgt wrote: Latency, ping problems?

You people all do this this Intel puma 6 chipset test for your modems? It's a large problem with Shaw on the west coast for sure that they don't want to discuss (I'm in discussions with Shaw retentions right now, and they want to give me a modem with one) there's lots of them out there.
I'm currently using a really old Arris Motorola 5100 that's not affected so I'm not going to get one, I asked for a xb6 (puma 7) and was declined.
I'm waiting it out to see if issue is resolved without jumping to buy a new modem.

I ran ok with this modem since signing up, its only the last few weeks that have been really bad.

Going away for 2 weeks in a week from now so maybe when I get back it will be resolved.
Oct 12, 2014
24 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
On 70/10 with Carrytel. Switched over for similar deal a few months ago. Attached speeds have been more and more frequent over the past 3 weeks. Just about had enough.
Images
  • Carrytel 06.09.18.png
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
darryldmbcgt wrote: Latency, ping problems?

Puma 7 have same issue http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r315575 ... -7-as-well
http://www.badmodems.com/Issue3.htm
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Upload Speed looks ok now
I tested different servers
Images
  • Speed test.png
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Dec 24, 2011
379 posts
113 upvotes
Pickering
Same problems I have upload only only hardly 2mbps I am on 100 down 10 up but never had any issues since 2017 but now it’s got lots of hiccups.…
Mar 5, 2014
23 posts
13 upvotes
Keigotw wrote: Upload Speed looks ok now
I tested different servers
I agree it appears to be getting better....but we will see how it performs during peak hours...its 4am and you can see the history of my results both behind VPNS and without them. Without a doubt its improved. (fingers crossed)
Images
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 4.27.04 AM.png

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)