Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Carrytel - ON

[Update 6: New cable subscription suspended until END of Mar] Cable service 100M/$39.99, 30M/$34.99, 15M/$29.99

Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1536 posts
981 upvotes
GTA
AllGamer wrote: Yeah i agree, CarryTel it's still very good for most people that doesn't require advanced features, or have no issues with traffic shaping.

So, I already cancelled with CarryTel, and they are going to give me a full refund, and I need to send the modem back.

and I contacted Teksavvy to upgrade me to the Cable100 package, since it's only a few dollars more from my existing plan $59 (25/2) vs. $63 for unlimited 100/10
I just noticed this
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r312287 ... n-torrents

Might not be related but if this is going to be a wider problem then its an issue
Jan 15, 2011
153 posts
36 upvotes
GTA
Elfwood wrote: Have you tried Rogers cable? During promos it is cheaper than Teksavvy.
i'm never going back to Rogers or Bell, hate them with a passion.

and Teksavvy is still cheaper than Rogers / Bell by a few dollars :p

On another note...

So, I cancelled the CarryTel service, and returned the modem, and they will give me a full refund (I'll need to wait a few (3) days before I can verify my CC statement online.)

There was no hassle, everything went smooth.

For a small company, this is very good.

So, if You don't need any of the torrent sites that are in Cogent block list, and or you don't need to VPN HD streaming video from another country, then you should have no problem with Carrytel/Cogent service, and take advantage of their super low rate.
but if you are an advanced internet user that will steam TV from the other side of the planet, then it might not be a suitable service for you.
Jan 15, 2011
153 posts
36 upvotes
GTA
MadCanadian wrote: I just noticed this
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r312287 ... n-torrents

Might not be related but if this is going to be a wider problem then its an issue
Man, that really sucks, I hope it's not for every ISP.

AFAIK Teksavvy is working fine, since I still look for new episodes of shows in those blocked sites, and they download at full speed.

but the info mentioned on that thread at DSL report do have me worry a bit, as it seems like they do have plans to enable the SIRP filtering
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1611 posts
116 upvotes
I don't stream or download torrent but experienced quite a few short outage lately (at least twice today). It is very annoying .This has not happened with Teksavvy cable.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2014
5443 posts
3919 upvotes
Richmond Hill
which torrent sites are in Cogent block list? What streaming services are blocked?
Jun 9, 2006
574 posts
81 upvotes
Just got my Carrytel activated.
No installation visit. Seamless switch from Teksavvy on the same day. No down time.
Good speeds.
I'm a happy customer... for now.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
AllGamer wrote: i'm never going back to Rogers or Bell, hate them with a passion.

and Teksavvy is still cheaper than Rogers / Bell by a few dollars :p

On another note...

So, I cancelled the CarryTel service, and returned the modem, and they will give me a full refund (I'll need to wait a few (3) days before I can verify my CC statement online.)

There was no hassle, everything went smooth.

For a small company, this is very good.

So, if You don't need any of the torrent sites that are in Cogent block list, and or you don't need to VPN HD streaming video from another country, then you should have no problem with Carrytel/Cogent service, and take advantage of their super low rate.
but if you are an advanced internet user that will steam TV from the other side of the planet, then it might not be a suitable service for you.
No offense but when did streaming foreign TV become advanced technology for the advanced user?!
Last edited by apvm on Feb 2nd, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 6, 2008
401 posts
108 upvotes
bolton, ont
PCalvin wrote: Just got my Carrytel activated.
No installation visit. Seamless switch from Teksavvy on the same day. No down time.
Good speeds.
I'm a happy customer... for now.
cable?
afaik theres is no switch as carrytel sells as a new service, you would have had both services running
Jun 9, 2006
574 posts
81 upvotes
yes cable.
sorry I meant my "switch time" where I was supposed have a 24 hr downtime as Carrytel was supposed to activate service a day after Teksavvy was supposed to end it. I guess Teksavvy gave me an extra day for some reason. Maybe it happened on Rogers end, but it ended up being seamless. Guess I lucked out!
Jan 15, 2011
153 posts
36 upvotes
GTA
apvm wrote: No offense but when did streaming foreign TV become advanced technology for the advanced user?!
To put it simply, most regular users that do not frequent forums, reddit, investigate online, and have time to learn like we do, about all the tech knows-hows
People that wants to simply hit the ON switch, and expect everything to be working, without the additional Tech Knows-Hows.

That's like the majority of the population.
Since the introduction of IPTV with the Kodi boxes in malls and retail stores, it became a lot easier for the regular folks and people of old age to do the same, literally by turning on the ON button, but... they are still locked to the Geo Region they are in, unless they know how to use proxy, vpn, and stuff.
Heck most people still has trouble setting up their IPTV boxes to hook up with their WiFi.

Common question I get from older people that switched from cable to IPTV, is always.... "why is the TV always loading?" "why it's not streaming?" "what is WiFi?" "Which box is the router/WiFi to reboot?" ... etc... (you get the idea.)

Not everyone is well versed in these "Hi Tech" / "Advanced" internet stuff as they call it :p

Heck even my Kids... falls into the same category, like old age people they expect to hit the ON button and everything should magically work.
They have no interest in learning IT, I tried to teach them but for they consider it's too complicated, too much stuff to remember.
As for Old age people... well they want to learn, but they keep forgetting, because it's again too many steps to troubleshoot when something doesn't work right after you hit the ON button.

in a perfect world, things should work, you'd expect to set it once and forget it, but reality doesn't work like that, there are always these little annoying hiccups with "technology", it could be your typical connection issue, most of the time is just WiFi interference, other times are the account issues, and they get locked out after too many failed attempts, other times is the router that lost all its settings, sometimes it's simply the computer or the IPTV box that borked on some update, or hung, or well... yeah technology, you love it, you hate it, but you need it.

That is your typical Cable TV main customer base, those that wants to hit ON, and expect things to work without the technical know how.
and indeed, many that has tried the Netflix, IPTV way, they just quit and went back to Rogers/Bell because it's too "difficult" to use.

That's how my Architect / Accountant / Car Mechanic / other types of businesses customer always complains about their email system, software, Windows, Office, they hate Outlook but they are all afraid to switch away for a better email software...
so, yeah the typical average user Non-Tech people are your Standard Users.

We, and people that understand the ins & outs of the "internet" we are considered "advanced" users.

to drill even deeper even within the "advanced users" there are the "pro users" and the actual "advanced users" like my co-worker, he's advanced, he knows the ins & outs of the internet, but he doesn't know about the DD-WRT, Tomato, Pfsense, Opensense, etc...
just like there are IT people that are good with computers, great DB, or great Programmers as a Pro-user, but has never touched a server, or setup and run a server farm, firewall, a multi-gateway load balancing, setup their own security system, cameras monitoring, security channel live stream, etc... the pro users, and standard users will usually only access what is there already, they don't go deeper.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
AllGamer wrote: To put it simply, most regular users that do not frequent forums, reddit, investigate online, and have time to learn like we do, about all the tech knows-hows
People that wants to simply hit the ON switch, and expect everything to be working, without the additional Tech Knows-Hows.
Kodi is a fine piece of software, too bad there are so many addon that tap into copyrighted content which saddened the developers of Kodi especially how the malls and retail stores advertise their "Kodi boxes".

VPN is a very good tool to secure private personal data from ISP records, protect online transactions from unsecured networks or harmful sites, and generally provide a layer of encryption using a secure protocol. Sadly some people are using it to mask themselves from downloading copyrighted content or access geo-blocked media content (unlike copyrighted content, this is still a grey area in Canada).

As for sites like icexxx.info or TPB, nothing wrong with them except they are walking on thin ice, they don't host the copyrighted content but have links pointing to them.

Myself?! I am a hobbyist at best. Plenty of information for the above if you google but will I tell the old and young, most likely not since I don't want them to walk a thin line but that is just me.

Once again, no offense and thanks for your clarifications.
Jan 15, 2011
153 posts
36 upvotes
GTA
apvm wrote: VPN is a very good tool to secure private personal data from ISP records, protect online transactions from unsecured networks or harmful sites, and generally provide a layer of encryption using a secure protocol. Sadly some people are using it to mask themselves from downloading copyrighted content or access geo-blocked media content (unlike copyrighted content, this is still a grey area in Canada).
Totally agree, if only more Businesses were as open like Netflix pushing for "open online borders" then people wouldn't need to resort to this kind of things to access content from other countries.
People are willing to pay for services, and for easily accessible contents, but when no one offers them locally, it's up to the end user to find alternatives.

The thing that doesn't make sense is that people for example us Canadians we want to watch USA content, yet when we try to sign up legitly for Hulu or other similar USA only content we get denied, just because our IP is from Canada.
Like why would they not want our money?

Heck other countries are more than happy to accept foreign business for their online subscription services.
Only UK, Australia, USA, and Canada are hell bent on locking people to local contents.

For example USA users are barred from watching online "free content" (like CTV news / CBC news, or similar contents) from Canadian TV stations websites, it's ridiculous.
It'll make sense if it's paid content, but when it's freely accessible for Canadians, why are USA users blocked -_-
A few times I was in the USA travelling, and wanted to keep up with the new back home, and was surprised by that Geoblocking of stuff we access every day in the office/home.

Anyways, their own loss, if they don't want customers willing to pay for content.
All these old schools licensing methods and publishing restrictions are just in the way of accessibility and open borders for the internet world.
Old capitalist are trying to hang on to dear life to prevent contents out of their grasp.
If they were not stupid, and offered it online to the world at a subscription fee, they wouldn't need to fight the world to keep the stuff locked in.

For example I'm subscribed to some online Japan TV streams, no need for VPN,
yet some other Japan Station contents, because they have back room deals with Mr. USA,
then they are subjected to the same stupid Geo restrictions to make USA happy.

Same goes for some content from Spain, India, China, etc. there are some that will accept, and some other that will not accept.
No issues from South America (Chile, Venezuela, Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, etc) basically places that don't give a damn about USA policies will welcome worldwide customers,
those that have "exclusive" dealings with USA are shooting themselves in the foot.

Like UK and Australia, they don't like foreign customers.

The most stupid thing is The Olympics and Football Mundial ( world cup soccer), the name says it all, it's for the entire planet, it's for all the participant countries, yet, no you are not allowed to watch it in your favourite language because you are in another country,
I'd have to say Americans / Canadian broadcasters their commentators are very poor at live coverage of the world cup, you don't get the same satisfaction as Spanish commentators, that describe every little bit live in real time as if you were sitting at the stadium.
Watching World Cup through Canadian / USA TV makes me fall asleep, Watching the same World Cup from a Hispanic channel or from Spain channel as it's meant to be, it's super exciting.

The same applies to TV shows from their respective source countries, like the Latino, Chinese, Korean, Indian (Bollywood), Japan Soap Opera Dramas, it kills my ears when watching it in English horrible voice sub, I much prefer watch the real thing and listen to the real thing with subtitles, than to stand the poorly translated English version of the same shows. Which also helps you learn correctly the language from another country, when you watch it in its raw original format.

Thanks God Netflix was smart enough to include all the original versions of the dialogs.
If only more streaming services were like Netflix, the world would be a better place.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1154 posts
378 upvotes
Whitby
I just got an e-mail back from carrytel about blocking TPB and other websites:
Dear Jamie ,
We are glad to hear from you, your user-experience is important to us.
Recently, we received a couple of reports about the website-blocking issue. After an investigation, those websites are blocked because of “Copyright Infringement” by Cogent Dispute Department. We have filed a report on your behalf to our IP supplier and we are waiting for the response.
The action is taken immediately, we are working on IP deployment for our own, the progress is estimated to be completed in 6-12 weeks. After the full setup, the issue will be resolved. For updates, please check our website.
We truly appreciate your valuable feedback and support, let us build a better Carry Telecom together.

Carry Telecom
Looks like they are working on a solution.

-Jamie M.
Home server: http://ywax.us
Speedtest: Image
Oct 6, 2008
401 posts
108 upvotes
bolton, ont
so let me get this str8, if i use vpn to tpb it will be throttled, if i dont vpn then tpb is not throttled?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
vincom wrote: so let me get this str8, if i use vpn to tpb it will be throttled, if i dont vpn then tpb is not throttled?
Because they won't throttle Linux ISOs. It's unlikely a Linux ISO if it must be hidden inside an encrypted VPN channel. :)
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Oct 21, 2005
564 posts
420 upvotes
Toronto
bogolisk wrote: Because they won't throttle Linux ISOs. It's unlikely a Linux ISO if it must be hidden inside an encrypted VPN channel. :)
What about transfer of company files that you want to keep from public eyes? One of the very original use of VPNs before people get creative.

Btw, do they restrict VPN traffic during peak hours only? Or 24/7?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
6023 posts
3615 upvotes
Toronto
bogolisk wrote: Because they won't throttle Linux ISOs. It's unlikely a Linux ISO if it must be hidden inside an encrypted VPN channel. :)
It is not the job of a transit provider to censor content, and certainly not guessed-at content. Unless the transit provider is in a non-free country (eg. China's Great Firewall, Russia, ...). It would be interesting to see a justification and to see if it holds water.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
I don't have VPN and I have no problem downloading using qbittorrent at full speed. It is always funny to me whenever torrent is involved, Linux ISO came into play but to be honest why would anyone need VPN to download Linux ISO or anything legit. As always no offense.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
toysareforboys wrote: I just got an e-mail back from carrytel about blocking TPB and other websites:

-Jamie M.
The solution will be very costly to them. IMO right now they are reseller of Cogent, ie we connect via either Bell or Roger's last mile (wires and cables) to connect to Cogent servers and back bone to the internet. Carrytel manage us through login into Cogent management server to determine who got the throttle etc. If what they mentioned in the email is true, they will need their own servers and use Cogent as backbone only. This will upgrade themselves to the level as Teksavvy, CIK, Start.ca etc, If they are serious, I don't think they can maintain their own servers with just $39.99 per month from us.
Jan 15, 2011
153 posts
36 upvotes
GTA
toysareforboys wrote: I just got an e-mail back from carrytel about blocking TPB and other websites:

-Jamie M.
Thanks for the heads up,
They told me the same thing when I went to return the modem.

but even if and after they do manage to get their own Canadian IPs and the blocked sites-unblocked,
I have a hunch they'll still throttle the download speed via VPN, after all the back bone is still Cogent.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)