Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Carrytel - ON

[Update 6: New cable subscription suspended until END of Mar] Cable service 100M/$39.99, 30M/$34.99, 15M/$29.99

Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2088 posts
1511 upvotes
Toronto
apvm wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pirate_Bay Most of the sites mentioned are in the grey area in terms of legality, Cogent has every right to block them.
I love how your reasoning went from; "it's unclear" to "it's black and white" all within the same sentence. And somehow, the uncertainty aspect is used as a way to justify an end? It's not hard to see how the logic of a blanket immigration ban flies with some people (no pun intended).

At the end of the day, no, Cogent doesn't have any "right" whatsoever, they're just in a position to do it, that's all. Until there's a consequence for that kind of practice (like losing a lot of money), not much will change (and even then, I wouldn't hold my breath). The sad thing is, regardless of what you think about TBP or any other website like it, this is part of what the whole "Net Neutrality" issue is. If you're ok with the practice (and defend it or be complacent to it), then don't be surprised when the same tactic is used in other situations where you might care.
Nov 20, 2005
163 posts
15 upvotes
I just got the Carrytel 50/10 hooked up today. Fortunately, the hub 2000 i purchased from kijiji still had the old settings. I kept a back up of the settings. The existing login work and looks like it connected to Bell directly. The speeds were a bit faster and no blocks from TPB or icefilms. On the other hand, if I connect with Carrytel usename and password. Speed was a tad bit slower. TBP and icefilms were blocked.

Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1154 posts
378 upvotes
Whitby
matt0323 wrote: I just got the Carrytel 50/10 hooked up today. Fortunately, the hub 2000 i purchased from kijiji still had the old settings. I kept a back up of the settings. The existing login work and looks like it connected to Bell directly. The speeds were a bit faster and no blocks from TPB or icefilms. On the other hand, if I connect with Carrytel usename and password. Speed was a tad bit slower. TBP and icefilms were blocked.
That's nuts! If you don't want to use the old username/password send it my way! :D

-Jamie M.
Home server: http://ywax.us
Speedtest: Image
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
Alexandero2 wrote: I love how your reasoning went from; "it's unclear" to "it's black and white" all within the same sentence. And somehow, the uncertainty aspect is used as a way to justify an end? It's not hard to see how the logic of a blanket immigration ban flies with some people (no pun intended).

At the end of the day, no, Cogent doesn't have any "right" whatsoever, they're just in a position to do it, that's all. Until there's a consequence for that kind of practice (like losing a lot of money), not much will change (and even then, I wouldn't hold my breath). The sad thing is, regardless of what you think about TBP or any other website like it, this is part of what the whole "Net Neutrality" issue is. If you're ok with the practice (and defend it or be complacent to it), then don't be surprised when the same tactic is used in other situations where you might care.
If these sites were part of my internet and I could not part with them, I'll just move on to another ISP and call it a day. No need to justify if it is right or wrong but that is just me. No offense.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13376 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... eutrality/

This will be interesting times as the now head of the FCC appointed by Trump is against net neutrality and is all for "free market" and more government controls on the internet. You'll have to dig a bit on the net for Trumps Ajit's stance to get the last points.
Jan 15, 2011
153 posts
36 upvotes
GTA
apvm wrote: If these sites were part of my internet and I could not part with them, I'll just move on to another ISP and call it a day. No need to justify if it is right or wrong but that is just me. No offense.
:) we think alike,
no need to stress oneself over such things,

That's precisely why I decided to cancel it, even thought the $40 for 100/10 was a really good deal, but all these little annoyances made me think twice if it was really worth it.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1580 posts
289 upvotes
has anyone been experiencing on and off in the past 2 hours?
Dec 5, 2013
72 posts
30 upvotes
busybe wrote: has anyone been experiencing on and off in the past 2 hours?
I had have no problems since the last maintenance.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
3174 posts
1083 upvotes
Toronto
Ditto. Everything has been good. No outages whatsoever!

Fingers crossed.. :)
Jan 15, 2011
153 posts
36 upvotes
GTA
marcsterr wrote: Ditto. Everything has been good. No outages whatsoever!

Fingers crossed.. :)
Not quite, there has been random 1 min ~ 2 min hiccups every now and then.
up to last week before I cancelled my service it was still doing those random short interruptions.

is very bad for MMORPG games, when you are in middle of a Boss fight.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
3174 posts
1083 upvotes
Toronto
AllGamer wrote: Not quite, there has been random 1 min ~ 2 min hiccups every now and then.
up to last week before I cancelled my service it was still doing those random short interruptions.

I should have been more specific - I'm just speaking from my own experience :)

I play a lot of Rocket League and haven't experienced any disconnections
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
AllGamer wrote: Not quite, there has been random 1 min ~ 2 min hiccups every now and then.

I play one or two games of CS GO, no spikes in ping or disconnections.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2008
1580 posts
289 upvotes
Thanks both. I have some issues, reset the router and then it was all right..
philmccox wrote: I had have no problems since the last maintenance.
Jimboski wrote: Same, all's been good since that 5 AM urgent maintenance.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
3174 posts
1083 upvotes
Toronto
crystallight wrote: So let me get this straight. If I wanted to get Carrytel that means TPB will no longer be available?
Yes, that is correct.
Dec 5, 2013
72 posts
30 upvotes
crystallight wrote: So let me get this straight. If I wanted to get Carrytel that means TPB will no longer be available?
I haven't been able to connect to the TPB main site. I have been using another site that directs me back to TPB and it works fine.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
1549 posts
65 upvotes
AllGamer wrote: Thanks for the heads up,
They told me the same thing when I went to return the modem.

but even if and after they do manage to get their own Canadian IPs and the blocked sites-unblocked,
I have a hunch they'll still throttle the download speed via VPN, after all the back bone is still Cogent.
I was told it's not them as they are not blocking anything, so it's definitely Cogent or whoever they are reselling... ugh.
Jan 13, 2017
113 posts
19 upvotes
You cannot go direct, but you can redirect.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)