Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Carrytel - ON

[Update 6: New cable subscription suspended until END of Mar] Cable service 100M/$39.99, 30M/$34.99, 15M/$29.99

Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
285 upvotes
toysareforboys wrote: Nope, everything is unblocked!
Thanks, I'm thinking to subscribe to Carrytel. Can you explain why your Speedtest shows Rogers ISP, assuming you're a Carrytel cable customer? Also, how long would I have to wait until my cable modem IP changes from US to Canadian IP? Once it changes, what will be geolocation of that Canadian IP? Will it be a different IP, or the same IP re-assigned to Canada Rogers location were I leave?

You mentioned that everything is unlocked now, so Cogent doesn't block access to Pirate Bay etc. Does it get unlocked only after the modem IP is re-assigned to Canadian location? I ask because Cogent seems to continue blocking certain sites for its US customers. For example, is it possible to access US Netflix for Carrytel customers?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1154 posts
378 upvotes
Whitby
arnycus wrote: Thanks, I'm thinking to subscribe to Carrytel. Can you explain why your Speedtest shows Rogers ISP, assuming you're a Carrytel cable customer? Also, how long would I have to wait until my cable modem IP changes from US to Canadian IP? Once it changes, what will be geolocation of that Canadian IP? Will it be a different IP, or the same IP re-assigned to Canada Rogers location were I leave?

You mentioned that everything is unlocked now, so Cogent doesn't block access to Pirate Bay etc. Does it get unlocked only after the modem IP is re-assigned to Canadian location? I ask because Cogent seems to continue blocking certain sites for its US customers. For example, is it possible to access US Netflix for Carrytel customers?
Check out the date on that speed test, I was with Big Red back then. RFD won't let me update that pic in my signature :(

Here's 50/10 FTTN with a lot of stuff on that connection:

Everything is unlocked, pirate bay, kat, etc. No torrent throttling either, super nice.

My IP has been showing up as Canadian for a long time:

They don't block any ports either so you can run a mail server or web server too (I run both).

-Jamie M.
Home server: http://ywax.us
Speedtest: Image
Feb 9, 2009
719 posts
285 upvotes
toysareforboys wrote: Everything is unlocked, pirate bay, kat, etc. No torrent throttling either, super nice.
The guy on DSL Reports said Carrytel blocks Kodi plugins, torrent sites, doesn't give Canadian IP. Can you use Kodi based Android media players with some popular (some call "pirated") plugins on Cogent network?

If Kodi and its plugins aren't blocked, can you reply in that DSL Reports thread, because CanNet trolls post tons of garbage about Carrytel in DSLR Canadian Broadband section. I'm concerned Carrytel with such flow of trolling thrown on them may not be able to keep low rates in the future, so does it make sense to invest in their modem now?

Also, incumbents recently jointly filed for rate hikes with CRTC. How its going to affect Cogent rates and respectively Carrytel sub rates? I guess, Cogent will also raise their rates to follow the suite?
Last edited by arnycus on May 18th, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 6, 2008
401 posts
108 upvotes
bolton, ont
pbay in browser gives "Your connection is not private", its a https thing, if i use a vpn like browsec, a chrome addon, it works fine, odd

rcable, bolton ont. @12pm eastern.

Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2004
1154 posts
378 upvotes
Whitby
vincom wrote: pbay in browser gives "Your connection is not private", its a https thing
No issues for me in chrome, check and make sure your date and time are correct:

-Jamie M.
Home server: http://ywax.us
Speedtest: Image
Oct 6, 2008
401 posts
108 upvotes
bolton, ont
toysareforboys wrote: No issues for me in chrome, check and make sure your date and time are correct:

-Jamie M.
time is correct, only on pb it happens for https, other https sites work fine. tried other browsers and same issues and did stuff like clear caches etc
and pics or media content dont show up for canadian sites, eg canadian tire website works fine, pics and all, but not the "flyer" pics as they will not load unless using vpn browsec set to u.s., theres no canadian ip setting in browsec..
it has something todo w/my ip 38.110.105.x , i might call in to get a new ip, hard resetting modem or keeping it offline for 30min didnt give me a new ip
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2007
1001 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
A tech came in to check the line, then left. I followed the setup steps for cable until step 5 where it wouldn't bring up the configuration interface.

I think my ip address isn't within the range. How do I change it?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2011
6190 posts
1546 upvotes
GTA
Been experiencing disconnects or major web traffic slow down, daily. Power cycling the modem helped.

See the small red bars on the 48hr jitter chart, Fido didn't have those, nor does the worst of VDSL (Contact.N*T).
Sep 29, 2009
816 posts
1427 upvotes
Kitchener
Hey, I currently have Bell fibe internet but my promo package is ending. Can I use my Bell homehub with carrytel? Thanks!
Nov 6, 2005
140 posts
21 upvotes
Can anyone pm me a referral code for Carrytel cogeco referral code? Thanks
Aug 9, 2017
1 posts
I moved to Carrytel a few days ago for a 50/10 VDSL line. My download speed is decent 47-49, but upload is/was terrible.

I called and they told me my upload was being throttled because of poor quality lines (Bell was to my house same day I moved to Carrytel and ran new lines and in my area generally upgrading lines). I could not get above 3.5m. I told them I had no problem with my old provider getting consistent 10-11m uploads for the 2 years I was with them.

They said they would unthrottle and give me 50/11m. I rebooted the modem and now can get 6.5m, still far from 11.

I called again and they said because at my old provider I was on a 25/10 plan my lines could handle it and now with a 50/11 it is too much in total and Bell will not give me above 8m on the up.

I don't know if they are BSing or if this is true. Any comments would be appreciated.
Aug 29, 2011
91 posts
24 upvotes
Is Carrytel actually having certain sites blocked through Cogent?
Is this an old issue?
Is it a phony issue invented by competitor shills?
Oct 6, 2008
401 posts
108 upvotes
bolton, ont
mlieber201 wrote: Is Carrytel actually having certain sites blocked through Cogent?
Is this an old issue?
Is it a phony issue invented by competitor shills?
old issue. cogent was blocking some p2p sites awhile back, not anymore, i can go to any torrent site like pbay, eztv etc. i have a private tracker that was never blocked. p2p is the main reason i have internet. im a current customer of carrytel via rogers cable
May 18, 2016
193 posts
223 upvotes
Mississauga
tebore wrote: I just literally just got my connection activated. About 20 mins ago.

Pings are relatively good, I'm getting 12-20ping to local test servers. Pings to 8.8.8.8 range in the low 50s so in terms of latency I'm happy there.

The problem I can see right now maybe that they are nearing Capacity in my area (North Markham) as I'm getting really jittery speeds, downlink is solid, will eventually hit 100.00Mbps (literally my avg speed is 100.01Mbps out of 15 speedtests.) Jitter is a bit on the higher side.
The problem I'm having is upload. I can see some really obvious traffic shaping as the connection ranges from 7 to 9.2Mbps. Averaging ~8Mbps. I never saw 10Mbps out of 20 tests. That concerns me. The jitter is also higher than I like but as I don't online game as much as I used to, it's not so bad for $40.

Tracerts show that there's 1 hop in YYZ then it goes to 1 Hop in Cleveland and down to Chicago for the majority of the hops. If you're concerned about Privacy, then VPN up as it looks like the majority of your traffic flows through Cogent's US networks.

Sorry for the lack of screen shots but it's just faster for me to post than to upload screenshots. Apart of my really misses Start.ca already, but $40+Tax for 100/10 is just too good to pass up. I just hope they don't turn out to be like the Nightmare Acanac was.
I'm with Acanac right now and I was wondering what issue did you face with them? was it customer service or throttling? or something else?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)