• Oct 17th, 2017 9:57 pm
[OP]
Feb 12, 2010
105 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Case and Lens for A6000

Hey Everyone,

Just got a Sony A6000 and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a good case that fits the camera.

Also, what would you guys suggest for a prime lens? Mainly for vacation shots and baby pics. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
14 replies
May 5, 2010
798 posts
208 upvotes
If I can choose only 1 prime lens, I'll get a 23mm with at least F2 or faster. That'll give you a 35mm equivalent to full-frame. It's one of the most versatile lens length in my own opinion.
Oct 4, 2017
6 posts
16 upvotes
Does this guy know what he's talking about? what is this mystery 23mm with F2 or faster lens?

One of follwing
Sigma 30 1.4 for maximum IQ
Sony 35 1.8 for less IQ but handheld video
Sigma 19/30 2.8 for good IQ on a budget

Plus
Samyang/Rokinon 12mm 2.0
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11397 posts
1056 upvotes
Kanata
For me, you would figure out what you want the camera bag to hold. Is it just the prime lens and camera? or would you also want it to hold an additional battery or two? Extra memory cards as well? Shoulder strap? Additional lenses also?

As for the lens, you could think about the 35mm f/1.8 OSS. If you think you would want wider, the 28mm f/2 is a good option, or the 24mm f/1.8 if you have the money.
[OP]
Feb 12, 2010
105 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the suggestions! I ended up getting the ThinkTank Mirrorless 10 but I might order the Kata that @sandav has to try out.

As for the lens I'm leaning towards the Sigma 30mm 1.4 just cause it seems the most versatile for my needs.
[OP]
Feb 12, 2010
105 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
goofball wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 10:04 pm
For me, you would figure out what you want the camera bag to hold. Is it just the prime lens and camera? or would you also want it to hold an additional battery or two? Extra memory cards as well? Shoulder strap? Additional lenses also?

As for the lens, you could think about the 35mm f/1.8 OSS. If you think you would want wider, the 28mm f/2 is a good option, or the 24mm f/1.8 if you have the money.
It would have to hold mainly the prime lens and maybe an additional battery. Definitely shoulder strap. I think I can get a big enough memory card for my shooting needs lol.

Would you suggest the 35mm over the 30mm 1.4??
May 5, 2010
798 posts
208 upvotes
I have an Ona Bowery bag that can fit my Fuji X-T1 with a small lens attached plus an Instax 90 with room to spare. The strap on the bag is very smooth and confortable on the shoulder.

The 30mm Sigma is faster in aperture, less expensive, sharper (some say a little bit), slower in autofocus, no OIS, bigger and heavier than the 35mm Sony. If you're looking for fast autofocus and small foot print, the Sony is the way to go.
But if you want something a little wider (7.5mm in difference, in 35mm equiv.), brighter and sharper, get the Sigma.
Nov 30, 2015
146 posts
54 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I have not bought yet. For me I feel that size matters since that was a key criteria when I chose the body. Smaller is better and I have to keep that in mind for my purposes. That said, the Sigma 30mm 1.4 is almost twice the size of the Sony 35mm f1.8.

I also considered the Sigma 30mm f2.8 which affordable plus is nice travelling size. But am I really gaining very much more compared to the kit lens. Others may argue that anything is better but the kit lens is not a bad everyday lens around the house. Let's put it this way -- I'm not selling pictures to marketing agencies and I'm not a super photo hobbyist.

So... I'll wait for a good deal on the Sony 35mm f1.8 maybe around Black Friday or Boxing day. And the Sony has OSS. We'll see.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11397 posts
1056 upvotes
Kanata
The advantage the Sony 35mm has is that it uses all the PDAF sensors, which is great for tracking and video (along with OSS).
Sigma 30mm does not have the same amount of use with the PDAF sensors.
Also, it is not about having a single memory card large enough but also having a spare in case something goes bad with the memory card. These events are not predictable.
I use a Manfrotto Solo II, which can hold the A6000 with shoulder strap, battery, wall battery charger (standalone), memory card easily. If I don't use the shoulder strap, it can hold battery + memory card + 16-50mm + 55-210mm lens (one mounted on camera, does not matter which).
[OP]
Feb 12, 2010
105 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
All you bring up a valid point about the size of the lens and OSS for the Sony. I will definitely have to factor that into my decision. I wonder if there is a way to try out both lenses for a day or so before making a final purchase. I'll look into rentals but I have a feeling it won't be worth it.

Do lenses usually go on sale around Black Friday? I've never paid attention and wouldn't mind waiting to save a few bucks.

Great point @goofball about the spare memory card in case of emergencies. That did not even cross my mind...
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3448 posts
271 upvotes
the price of the Sigma f1.4 is a no brainer
you'll forget about its slight hefty and length once you edit the images taken by it...hangs with the best of that system like the Zony 24 and Zeiss Touits...glass that are in the 4 digits
it's also made in Japan if that matters to you.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9419 posts
1184 upvotes
Toronto
lazybummer wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 11:29 am
So... I'll wait for a good deal on the Sony 35mm f1.8 maybe around Black Friday or Boxing day. And the Sony has OSS. We'll see.
Do these ever go on sale? There are some used in the $450-$500 range. About a $150-$200 savings from retail.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3448 posts
271 upvotes
they used to go on sale $399 when the dollar was better
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.