Cell Phones

Which case should I Get for iphone 7 Plus, do I need a screen protector too?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2017 6:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2657 posts
90 upvotes

Which case should I Get for iphone 7 Plus, do I need a screen protector too?

I'm purchasing my first iPhone 7 Plus and was wondering what is the best type of case to have, I'm a guy so I tend to give my phone in my pocket,

I tend to keep keep my car key fob and very few keys in the same pocket as my phone, I was hoping to just have a bumper type case to protect from drops and I was wondering if a screen protector is required? And if so, which one? I don't like the idea of a screen protector because in the past I find it took some of that nice screen feeling away.

Your input appreciated, if you could specify make and model of accessories if you recommend it, are apple cases the best?
22 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11815 posts
880 upvotes
Toronto
Definitely apply a glass screen protector. Spigen had some nice iPhone cases.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2657 posts
90 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 10:08 am
Definitely apply a glass screen protector. Spigen had some nice iPhone cases.
Is that glass screen protector noticeable or is it something you have to get used to? Is that case you are recommending a bumper case? What makes one bumper case better than another?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
22989 posts
2015 upvotes
Aurora
I'm not a big fan of glass screen protectors. I think it adds a little bulk to the screen even if it is only .2 mm. I prefer the plastic screen protectors.

You should apply a screen protector especially if you keep your phone in your pocket with keys and other sharp objects. The second reason for a screen protector is to protect the coating on the glass from premature wear.

For cases, I like the Apple leather case. It's expensive and I always buy the red one because part of the money is donated to charity. I've tried other cases and nothing fits like the Apple one. Especially on the jet black phone which is a fingerprint magnet.
Jun 30, 2013
68 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
I use the glass screen protectors. It is better as it takes the impact most of the time. And it does not bother me at all. I barely notice it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2657 posts
90 upvotes
Taylor Swift wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 3:33 pm
I use the glass screen protectors. It is better as it takes the impact most of the time. And it does not bother me at all. I barely notice it.
You think I would be okay with the Apple leather bumper case along with a glass screen protector for use in my front pocket along with some keys?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
22989 posts
2015 upvotes
Aurora
The leather case is great, but the screen protector will not cover the entire screen because it is curved at the edges.

I would try to keep the keys in an alternate pocket. Even if you manage to scratch the phone with your keys, it will not affect the screen, only the edge of the glass.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2657 posts
90 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 7:42 pm
The leather case is great, but the screen protector will not cover the entire screen because it is curved at the edges.

I would try to keep the keys in an alternate pocket. Even if you manage to scratch the phone with your keys, it will not affect the screen, only the edge of the glass.
No one makes a tempered glass screen protector that covers the entire iPhone Plus 7 screen? I only say tempered glass because I keep reading that is what people recommend.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1133 posts
500 upvotes
They can't make a tempered glass protector because the side of the glass are curved slightly. If they cover the whole screen, it'll be lifting at the sides and dust/dirt will get in and ruin it.
Current Fido customer. Great to be a Fido Customer.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3051 posts
458 upvotes
Brampton ON
Only case I trust for my phone is Ottetrbox, I recommend Otter box Symettry Series. All of my phone are still intact no damage at all from Blackberry to Samsung to LG to iPhone all of them are on Otterbox. I use regular screen protector only no fancy one.
VirginMobile $55 8gb (BYOP)Samsung A5 2017 Next Freedom Mobile $59 S8 or A5
Do A Math Before Signing Contract or Buying Phone Outright (this will vary on your plan price & usage)

[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2657 posts
90 upvotes
Smiling Face With Open Mouth
bomber17 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 9:45 pm
They can't make a tempered glass protector because the side of the glass are curved slightly. If they cover the whole screen, it'll be lifting at the sides and dust/dirt will get in and ruin it.
There seems to be plenty of tempered glass ones available on Amazon, I'm not seeing bad reviews, but I have zero experience.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2657 posts
90 upvotes
d1ulove3 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 7:03 am
Only case I trust for my phone is Ottetrbox, I recommend Otter box Symettry Series. All of my phone are still intact no damage at all from Blackberry to Samsung to LG to iPhone all of them are on Otterbox. I use regular screen protector only no fancy one.
When I think Otterbox, I automatically assume it is bulky, last thing I want is bulk to my phone, and I keep it in my front pocket, that makes it so much harder to pull in and out, no?

I'm open to anything, but I hear the Apple leather cases are fantastic in terms of fit and keeping it in your pocket, I would be willing to trade some of that very better protection, but not to the point where my phone is twice the size..i think anyways.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
3051 posts
458 upvotes
Brampton ON
Rockstead wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 8:05 am
When I think Otterbox, I automatically assume it is bulky, last thing I want is bulk to my phone, and I keep it in my front pocket, that makes it so much harder to pull in and out, no?

I'm open to anything, but I hear the Apple leather cases are fantastic in terms of fit and keeping it in your pocket, I would be willing to trade some of that very better protection, but not to the point where my phone is twice the size..i think anyways.
Otterbox have a bulky and slim one, if you don't like it well better get an insurance or apple care. leave your phone naked what ever happen you have peace of mind.
VirginMobile $55 8gb (BYOP)Samsung A5 2017 Next Freedom Mobile $59 S8 or A5
Do A Math Before Signing Contract or Buying Phone Outright (this will vary on your plan price & usage)

Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1133 posts
500 upvotes
Rockstead wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 8:01 am
Smiling Face With Open Mouth

There seems to be plenty of tempered glass ones available on Amazon, I'm not seeing bad reviews, but I have zero experience.
Sorry I meant full front protector. A lot of them just covers the screen and not right to the edge.

I'm using one myself. I don't mind it as it fits on cases better. The case adds some thickness anyways so it's usually level with the screen protector. I hate the feeling of plastic as it adds friction. Also if you put a case in it, often times it bunches up over time.
Current Fido customer. Great to be a Fido Customer.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel