Beauty & Wellness

Cash back from my Dentist

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2017 7:14 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Oct 21, 2016
110 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto, On.

Cash back from my Dentist

Hey!

I went to my dentist for a cleaning and had a cavity. Since he was using my benefits I asked him for cash back? What do you guys think is fair?

This is what you sound like when you start to ask for money back. As an agent, this is my decision and can come in a form I choose. I don't mind hooking someone up with a nice gift, but to be expected to do so is often infuriating to see/hear.

Carry on.

J.
Sales Representative, Right at Home Realty, Toronto.
21 replies
Sr. Member
Nov 2, 2014
839 posts
198 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
This thread is silly and should be deleted.

You are better than this and have contributed great insight to this forum in prior posts, stop whining.
Last edited by RobertSmalls008 on Sep 25th, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Oct 21, 2016
110 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto, On.
RobertSmalls008 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 8:18 pm

This thread is silly and should be deleted.

You are better than this and have contributed great insight to this forum in prior posts, stop whining.
Agreed. Making a point. I get in this convo and I'm one to help out when it makes sense - on my terms.
Sales Representative, Right at Home Realty, Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2011
4437 posts
1706 upvotes
Thornhill
I agree with RobertSmalls008.

The nice thing about this job is that we all get to choose the clientele, level of service and cost we deem appropriate and who we will choose to work with as clients.

We can't appeal to everyone but that should be because we don't want to appeal to everyone.

Respect to you for this post in here!
Member
Feb 7, 2006
327 posts
46 upvotes
Realtor1981 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 8:10 pm
Hey!

I went to my dentist for a cleaning and had a cavity. Since he was using my benefits I asked him for cash back? What do you guys think is fair?

This is what you sound like when you start to ask for money back. As an agent, this is my decision and can come in a form I choose. I don't mind hooking someone up with a nice gift, but to be expected to do so is often infuriating to see/hear.

Carry on.

J.
If your dentist is willing to do this, I don't see why not.
But I doubt he will do it because dentists are not a dime a dozen and did not get their license with a two month course after high school.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2011
4437 posts
1706 upvotes
Thornhill
Roonis wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 8:51 pm
If your dentist is willing to do this, I don't see why not.
But I doubt he will do it because dentists are not a dime a dozen and did not get their license with a two month course after high school.
You guessed right? Because yours is a classic shoot-from-the-hip example of a response of someone oblivious to the facts.

Try this from 2015 which would translate into almost as many dentists per capita as there were Realtors per resale transaction. If we consider that Realtors also work new builds but are not counted in the resale stats, the disparity between the number of dentists and Realtors is probably marginal:
Current work-force data suggest that there is an oversupply of dentists throughout most regions of Canada, and the current supply of dentists will continue to significantly outpace the population growth," the report notes.

A 2016 CDA study shows one dentist per 1,622 patients in Canada in 2015, compared with one for every 1,742 patients in 2005. And the problem is particularly acute in Canada's big cities, where the density of dentists "is now roughly three times that in rural areas," according to the association.

Both young professionals and the growing ranks of foreign-trained dentists "all seem to want to live in the city," says Henry Doyle, owner of Al Heaps & Associates Inc., a Vancouver-based brokerage that specializes in selling dental practices Canada-wide...
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/report ... ndmail.com&
Member
Jul 27, 2017
499 posts
139 upvotes
GTA
When I had a dental plan through my employer the dentist always maxed the provincial dental association rate to charge the insurance company.

I asked the dentist 'what if' I paid you without going through the dental plan?

It was an immediate 40% saving

Now that we are retired, same dentist our cleaning cost including xrays is $80 each - per visit. Other procedure also have a discount from the provincial dental rates.

I asked the office manager/receptionist who has been with the dentist as long as we've been going to this dentist, the second part of the 'what if' ... what if we pay cash can we get a further discount. No she said because you have a file for every visit with each procedure recorded & that the dentist gets audited.

End result... we pay cash anyway & figure in 5 years since I have been off an insurance plan the dentist keeps on charging us the same fee for services.

The invoice shows the full provincial codes & charges, second line is marked 'discount'

So when you ask any professional or those that 'live for what they bill' if you can get a rebate or cash back discount (remember you negotiate everything) see how turns out & just keep on negotiating.

My local mechanic will give us a discount for cash which is basically the same as cash back, this is no invoice. We have the same with certain merchants that also do this or a bakery that will throw in a few freebies 'no charge'

So will the real estate agent bark when you ask for half of his/her commission, will it be a 'frek off'?
Last edited by porticoman on Sep 25th, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Oct 21, 2016
110 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto, On.
I saw this article today.

My Dentist example is just an example. I am not comparing the training, education, etc. Just a point.

Again - don't read just to reply. Take in my point. Here we are, in a forum to those seeking advice/guidance for free (which is fine/great/whatever) but then when it comes to pay - ohh, no no no!! Lol. It's a joke.

For the record, I charge less than most agents for what I feel is great work - I'm not just whining here - just making a point:
Last edited by Realtor1981 on Sep 25th, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sales Representative, Right at Home Realty, Toronto.
Member
Jul 27, 2017
499 posts
139 upvotes
GTA
the point is 'bargaining/negotiating a sweet deal'

When an individual is asking for a lower rate or rebate/cash back, then of course it's OK to do it (snickers).

When you the person is on the receiving end it becomes an insult.

RE agent says 'I do great work & charge lower commissions to my clients'. Well that just isn't good enough I say, I also want a percentage of your commission. Why won't you give me the percentage of the commission that I am asking for?
Last edited by porticoman on Sep 25th, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Feb 7, 2006
327 posts
46 upvotes
licenced wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 9:06 pm
You guessed right? Because yours is a classic shoot-from-the-hip example of a response of someone oblivious to the facts.

Try this from 2015 which would translate into almost as many dentists per capita as there were Realtors per resale transaction. If we consider that Realtors also work new builds but are not counted in the resale stats, the disparity between the number of dentists and Realtors is probably marginal:
Sorry, my comment about "dime a dozen" is based on this article

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/the-craz ... ot-market/ which states:

"Membership of the Toronto Real Estate Board has ballooned 41 per cent since 2012 to 48,000. That’s approximately one real estate agent for every 96 people aged 18 to 69 in the Greater Toronto Area"

Since you are comparing dentist per capita, it would be best to stick to comparing real estate agent per capita and not per transaction as some dentist could also be part time, semi retired, on sabbatical.

However, I do not retract my statement that a real estate agent license is much easier to get than a dental license.

B
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Oct 21, 2016
110 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto, On.
Let me be clear - again. I'm not against forfeiting commissions when it makes sense. I've never lost a deal based on commissions. Ex: client is a few K's apart - you and the other agent try to hash it out. Oh, they took the blinds?! Let me purchase you some nice new black out blinds to smooth it out (all real life examples).

When a home owner signs a Listing Agreement, they are agreeing to pay XX commissions to a co-operating agent (buyer agent). It could be a range of percentages but is often 2.5%. If it's lower, I take lower and I don't seek the remainder from the Buyer despite it being in a Buyer Agreement (I think it's poor taste).
Sales Representative, Right at Home Realty, Toronto.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 10, 2010
769 posts
264 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Realtor1981 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 9:15 pm
I saw this article today.

My Dentist example is just an example. I am not comparing the training, education, etc. Just a point.

Again - don't read just to reply. Take in my point. Here we are, in a forum to those seeking advice/guidance for free (which is fine/great/whatever) but then when it comes to pay - ohh, no no no!! Lol. It's a joke.

For the record, I charge less than most agents (Website) for what I feel is great work
- I'm not just whining here - just making a point:
So first you made this ridiculous thread and then you go ahead and smoothly advertised yourself. Atta boy...no worries the moderators will never catch that. Wink Wink.

* Do not spam or advertise
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Oct 21, 2016
110 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto, On.
Oops. You're right. Not on purpose but I appreciate your point!

Take care.
Sales Representative, Right at Home Realty, Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2011
4437 posts
1706 upvotes
Thornhill
porticoman wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 9:21 pm
RE agent says 'I do great work & charge lower commissions to my clients'. Well that just isn't good enough I say, I also want a percentage of your commission. Why won't you give me the percentage of the commission that I am asking for?
Maybe for the same reason your employer when you interview for a job doesn't offer to pay you $X and claw back X amount.

I personally have no problem with people getting a very modest cash back from their Realtor given today's prices within the GTA.

As someone who negotiates real estate contracts, I would in fact say the more the buyer can arrange in cash back just to bribe the Realtor to earn a commission, the more I know they're hiring someone who will wilt in the face of negotiations and so deserves to forfeit as much as their commission as a buyer can finagle.

Why any such person would be hired is the big question.

From my personal experience, I can attest, that it is only in RFD and not in real life that people suggest they demand X rebate from a Realtor and get it. If it was really so the names of the realtors they so easily conned would be all over the internet.

Top