• Nov 28th, 2017 10:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 18, 2009
78 posts
6 upvotes
Fenwick

Cash Cab - Anyone been on it?

Always wonder this when watching Cash Cab... The meter is always running during the ride! So do they actually have to pay for the ride regardless of winning or losing? I've never heard anyone say, "at least we got a free ride". Wondering if anyone has insight on that?
22 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11212 posts
1442 upvotes
Mississauga
A friend of mine has been on it and won $700 with her friends. I have no idea if the contestants have to pay for the cab ride though. I did learn that you don't actually get the cash as soon as you leave the cab though as it's implied on the show. They send you a cheque afterwards.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106486 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Any idea how to get on the show?

Is it really a random occurrence as is presented, or is that all scripted and the contestants are actually selected in advance?
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7349 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote:
Jul 4th, 2012 7:39 pm
The US version was definitely cast weeks ahead of any actual taping
http://www.tv.com/news/cash-cab-confide ... all-24745/
http://www.avclub.com/chicago/articles/ ... ake,48754/
Doesn't necessarily mean the canadian version is the same but it wouldn't surprise me if it is
Canadian contestants are pre-screened as well.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12561 posts
642 upvotes
ronin1701 wrote:
Jul 4th, 2012 6:36 pm
Any idea how to get on the show?

Is it really a random occurrence as is presented, or is that all scripted and the contestants are actually selected in advance?
PCDawg wrote:
Jul 4th, 2012 10:45 pm
Canadian contestants are pre-screened as well.
prescreened yup. they tell you where to be, they tell you that it might not air on TV (you will still get the money), they also tell you to bring some friends and to bring the energy
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2006
4515 posts
192 upvotes
I don't remember who it was, but I do remember distinctly one member on here saying they got to be on the cash cab in Toronto. They said that for the "surprise" entry, they re-film it depending on the contestant's actual reaction. If it's enough to be a legit surprise or something, they don't need to. If the contestant clearly knew what was going on heading into the cab, they got them to redo it or something.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7050 posts
849 upvotes
Alberta
Thanks for the tip about pre-screening....I cannot stand fake shows anymore. Don't watch Cash Cab, Pawn Stars, etc.

Dave
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
3787 posts
67 upvotes
my understanding is that they do have random pickups as well as the pre-screened. . .but that is a small percentage.

they like the pre-screens because that increases the likelihood that they will get material that can be aired. but even with the pre-screens that get filmed, they don't guarantee that you will make it to air.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
15801 posts
685 upvotes
Stouffville
as for whether the cab ride is free or not.. pretty sure they usually say that if u get kicked out, you end up with a free cab ride to wherever they kick you out...

another terrible show like this, when dealing with pre-screening and such, is Instant Cash...i remember there were kijiji ads all the time before the show filmed, for possible contestants to go to the malls that they go to (upper canada, lawrence square, georgian mall, etc) and take some test to decide whether they want to use you on the show..not to mention when they are going up to the ATM machine, there is a big sticker on the ground with a picture of a video camera on it, and the big safe beside the ATM and the camera men everywhere lol...

i dont think there is any real reality tv....its all scripted, pre-screened and fake.. yet i still watch a lot of it lol

but these ones piss me off more because its implied that these are all random people that have never been screened or picked to be on these shows, and that its just random..but thats totally not the case
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6806 posts
563 upvotes
I saw them filming cashcab on queen west a few weeks ago on a Friday night about midnight. They made the guys film their exit out of the cans (everyone high diving etc) like three times, lol.

Would love to be on there just for the frustration that comes when people can't answer questions haha
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17811 posts
880 upvotes
So I'm guessing "Ice Cold Cash" on Food Network is scripted garbage as well..
Banned
Jun 30, 2012
513 posts
21 upvotes
still I like watching this show even its a fake show.
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
614 posts
27 upvotes
TORONTO
I think it is a cool show. But i don't think that anyone have ever make any money from this show. Its just for entertainment. :|
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106486 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Are the flashing lights really mounted in the ceiling of the cab, or are those added in post-production?