Automotive

Cash for cars & Toronto Scrap Yards... best place to get rid of an old car????

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2018 8:58 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
8037 posts
78 upvotes

Cash for cars & Toronto Scrap Yards... best place to get rid of an old car????

The insurance for my old & working car is expiring very shortly. I can't store it in my parent's garage forever and if I don't get rid of it in a few days I'm going to end up paying extra $$ for insurance. I thought I could at the very minimum receive $1000 on Kijiji but 99% of the buyers in the market for a < $1000 car are either too shady (i.e. they want me to meet at Yorkdale at night), unreliable (don't show up) or just too cheap (lowball me for $500). The car still runs as a winter beater & daily driver from Point A to Point B, plus the wheels and tires (~10K mileage) are worth $400 alone so why would I sell the vehicle for so cheap unless I was doing someone a favour???

What are my options? Is it worth selling to the scrap yards in Toronto or will I get lowballed even more?? Please advise.
Last edited by MtX on Oct 21st, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2395 posts
1671 upvotes
what kind of car? Ill give you 50 bucks
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2395 posts
1671 upvotes
MtX wrote:
Oct 21st, 2018 7:15 pm
Plastic toy Ferrari. Face With Tears Of Joy
if its an autoart lets talk ;)
All seriousness, prepare to be lowballed. Whats wrong with the car? Worth to get it certified/etested And hold firm at 1500?
Smash that like button!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7431 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
I just sold an old car on Facebook marketplace. I used to use Craigslist or kijiji it was easy to post (good interface). A lot and I mean a lot of tire kickers.

Ended up selling for $1400 down from my ask of $1900 In about 24 hours. The car was in good shape and had to sell due to a move.

My only tip say offers in person only and have them come to your home or office. Hold firm and be specific
offers to be made in person. Do not entertain or respond to offers by private message. Just say come on down and see if people actually ask you for an address. I usually gave them a major intersection and to text when leaving house.

I wouldn’t bother with safety. Maybe do e test because it’s free if you qualify.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2870 posts
669 upvotes
Edmonton
What car? I might be interested, though I usually prefer to buy non-running cars
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8