• Feb 13th, 2006 4:47 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20230 posts
1496 upvotes

Cash Check- Not In Name

Is it possible to cash a check that does not have your name on it? Reason is that I got $5 from an online survey, but it has MY name on it. I do not have an account, my dad does. Can he cash the check for me?
11 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
Kasakato wrote:Is it possible to cash a check that does not have your name on it? Reason is that I got $5 from an online survey, but it has MY name on it. I do not have an account, my dad does. Can he cash the check for me?
In theory, you can sign in the back of the cheque and your dad can cash it. I know this used to work but I have not done this for over 20 years.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1897 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
gman wrote:In theory, you can sign in the back of the cheque and your dad can cash it. I know this used to work but I have not done this for over 20 years.
done that a couple times recently. It works
May 17, 2005
243 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
yep it works... it is called endorsing the cheque.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2005
1937 posts
42 upvotes
It can work depends one a few things. Like the amount, the quality of customer the person doing the cashing is to the bank, and of course if it makes sense.

If its alot they may want the person to be there to ID them that they signed it. Sometimes they wont touch it.

For $5 no worries.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
215 upvotes
Have your dad do it through the ABM, sign the back of it, you'll have no problems.
Banned
Jul 10, 2005
2489 posts
Bullseye wrote:Have your dad do it through the ABM, sign the back of it, you'll have no problems.
The dad would be better off to sign it then there would be no issues at all.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
215 upvotes
sportsfan99 wrote:The dad would be better off to sign it then there would be no issues at all.
Why would the dad sign it when it isn't made out to him? It's going into his account, so his signature isn't necessary, but the signature of who's name the cheque is made out to is.
Dec 22, 2005
751 posts
4 upvotes
Dundas
I've had a problem in the past getting this done.

My insurance compnay sent a cheque to my dentist even thought I had clearly sent them a copy of the invoice showing I had paid already. My dentist endorsed the cheque for me, however my branch (RBC) refused to let me deposit the cheque into my account. They told me that I should go to the branch that my dentist uses so they could verify the signature.

In the end I just ended up gettin the insurance compnay to reissue a cheque in my name.

Why don't you just open up an account or have your dad open up an account in your name?
Dec 18, 2005
28 posts
Toronto
By law, endorsing a cheque is completely legal. It should work as if the person endorsing the cheque had written you a check himself (which is why if the cheque bounced, you could take both the original issuer and the endorser of the cheque to court for the money). I suppose they could have the right to verify it, but the process should technically be the same as for regular cheques.
:razz:
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4675 posts
48 upvotes
Local
I did it, through the machine too. I don't even understand how it works, but the cheque WAS depositted and transferred to my account. Even though the account paid to someone else.
So you made $5 from online surveys? What website? I want to make like $500 off surveys, I would do every survey.
× < >