• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 12:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1300 posts
232 upvotes

Cashmere sweaters

I'm looking to prep for the winter, and I am looking for 2-3 high quality, comfortable cashmere sweaters for work. Usually I've gone with the stock collections of BR - but I am looking to explore the sweater options a little more especially if I am able to source some good cashmeres.

Some of the places I've seen that I've not really heard of before

Black Goat Cashmere - they are a Canadian firm sourcing their long thread cashmere from Mongolia. Not sure where they are made, but I'd venture China. They have a local boutique which will allow me to try on some of their options. Very expensive though with almost $460 bucks for v-necks.

Maison Cashmere - this is an Italian joint, and made in Italy. They'll ship to Canada, but with DHL so expect hefty duties. Prices are very reasonable at about $150 USD.

Brooks Brothers - this is the known quantity here - and comes in at about $298 USD. But I am guessing you can pick up locally for about $375. Scottish cashmere.

Any experiences from anyone on these? Other cashmere brands or stores you'd like to throw into the mix?
10 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11019 posts
1519 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Made in Italy should mean no duty.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2007
2873 posts
217 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know much about except that majority's of the stuff out there is garbage. To be honest the one that stands out is the Canadian brand. The fact they use "long hair " is one or the hall marks of good cashmere. If you spending that much money on a cashmere garment the retailer should know where it's sourced and what kind of cashmere it is appose to "its soft"
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6744 posts
969 upvotes
Just make sure those are what you want for work. A heavy cashmere may be too much for a heated office, unless you work outside a lot.

A light merino wool may be more than enough and they go for a lot less.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1300 posts
232 upvotes
thanks, some good tips.

I'll try to stop by the Black Goat shop here in bloor to see quality.

wondering if others have any insight.
Sep 8, 2017
7 posts
1 upvote
How can I find out about Banana Republic in-store sales? All of them that get posted in Hot Deals are usually online only.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
1965 posts
429 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I have one Lacoste, one Daniel Bishop, and three BR. They're all decent quality and much comfier than wool. I got them all for under $100, I'd be willing to spend more for better but not any of the prices quoted in here. Is the quality that much better for this stuff?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4746 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
djdestroyer wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 10:10 pm
I have one Lacoste, one Daniel Bishop, and three BR. They're all decent quality and much comfier than wool. I got them all for under $100, I'd be willing to spend more for better but not any of the prices quoted in here. Is the quality that much better for this stuff?
Yes, definitely. I have a made in Italy one for $200 on sale and it's decent (forgot brand)...hasen't pilled much on me in the past 10 years. Ones under $100 are usually made with the shorter hairs. I was looking for another I'd spend minimum $350, not necessarily made in Italy.

I think the best thing about cashmere is how it regulates temperature. I was in NYC last week and brought it with me. Wore it in Toronto going to the airport and was warm when it was cold out, temperature high in NYC was 22C and I wasn't hot wearing it.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.