Careers

Casual work before starting full-time work at same company?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2019 3:07 pm
Jul 15, 2012
313 posts
167 upvotes
Calgary

Casual work before starting full-time work at same company?

I have recently accepted a FT job offer that's due to start in a couple months, and have left my previous employer since then. The new company that I'm due to start with called me up and asked me if I was willing to work casually with them for the next few days, which is before the official FT contract start date. Since I could use the extra income I agreed to it and asked them what sort of arrangement it would be under. Apparently I would be starting as a casual employee for the duration of this work, and on my official FT contract start date I would be converted to a full-time permanent employee.

A couple questions for RFDers who may have gone through similar cases:

1) Does signing another employment contract with the company (in this case a casual hourly contract) void the previous contract that I've signed with them (FT permanent contract)?
2) Any specific terms in the casual contract that I should be looking for? I have not signed this contract with them yet, only the FT job offer that I was given a while back.

The company is a fairly reputable firm in a professionally regulated industry, so I don't believe there would be any sketchy business going on here. Still, better safe than sorry.
7 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4621 upvotes
GTA
Never been through it but perhaps have the dates stated on the casual contract, so that it doesn't overlap the ft one.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1826 posts
1876 upvotes
Why don’t they just move up the start date of your original FT contract?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3533 upvotes
What industry is this?

1) No
2) The only thing you should be aware of if there are any perks being casual you'll miss from being FT, just to be aware of them not so much monetary or contractual. For example, in one place I know, full timers had to ensure they badge in and out, if they didn't they must complete exception report (illness, business travel, meeting). Contractors/part timers did not have to at all, entry/exit times were not really monitored and easier on department budgets if contractors took vacations or away so managers didn't mind.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
i have done this and the reverse of this. Yes you can work for them casual before you start full time, since you start work casual, your hire date will be the date you accepted casual, which might benefit you down the road to having an earlier start date for stuff like vacation bidding and such.

another thing when you get laid off but are offered a contract/casual job, in the interim, your seniority may continue and it will help you down the road to find future full time employment with this same company. and usually your vacation and pension carry forward when your casual, some exceptions apply tho
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
plus forgot to mention when you are being moved from casual to full time your not being "hired" since your already with them, your simply changing your position status in their payroll and human resources systems so you already have a file its just being updated instead of entered from scratch so its less work for the administrators, and a few clicks of a few buttons to update you and it is done.
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Jul 15, 2012
313 posts
167 upvotes
Calgary
ProductGuy wrote: Why don’t they just move up the start date of your original FT contract?
I have personal things tying me up for the few weeks before I start the FT role. This casual work would come before then. Essentially I'll go from casual work (few days) -> personal break (several weeks) -> start FT work.
bhrm wrote: What industry is this?

1) No
2) The only thing you should be aware of if there are any perks being casual you'll miss from being FT, just to be aware of them not so much monetary or contractual. For example, in one place I know, full timers had to ensure they badge in and out, if they didn't they must complete exception report (illness, business travel, meeting). Contractors/part timers did not have to at all, entry/exit times were not really monitored and easier on department budgets if contractors took vacations or away so managers didn't mind.
This is in engineering/consulting. I don't really mind not having benefits, given it's only a few days of casual work when I would be otherwise doing nothing. I would also expect my record of employment (ROE) at the company to show the earlier date that I'll be starting casual work. However, I am more curious as to how this will affect tax reporting. Hopefully there's still one T4 slip and I don't have to do any weird tax assessments because of this. I've only done FT work up until now.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3533 upvotes
easylistener wrote: I have personal things tying me up for the few weeks before I start the FT role. This casual work would come before then. Essentially I'll go from casual work (few days) -> personal break (several weeks) -> start FT work.

This is in engineering/consulting. I don't really mind not having benefits, given it's only a few days of casual work when I would be otherwise doing nothing. I would also expect my record of employment (ROE) at the company to show the earlier date that I'll be starting casual work. However, I am more curious as to how this will affect tax reporting. Hopefully there's still one T4 slip and I don't have to do any weird tax assessments because of this. I've only done FT work up until now.
*not a payroll expert*
If they are payrolling you directly, i don't think they would issue a ROE when your casual gig ends because technically your employment is not ending just changing terms. If they are payrolling through an agency/service, you will get a ROE. It won't affect your tax, you just have to enter both T4's. The only thing that would be slightly affected depending on timing and amount, you may overpay EI/CPP contributions but you'll get it back anyways. You won't be losing out on anything.

But as you said it's only a few days, it won't affect anything really, just more cash in your hands.