Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7324 posts
1158 upvotes

Cat Chewing on cables

My cat chews on my cables when im not home, or when i am sleeping. he knows that I will yell at him when I catch him in the act.

Any ideas how to stop him from chewing cables? He is specfically into coax cables and VGA cables.

Our second cat doesn't chew on cables.

Not sure what to do. I tried covering it up, but he digs it out. Tried bitter spray. Tried wrapping it all together with electrical tape Anything else?
8 replies
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10601 posts
1268 upvotes
I have the same problem... but mine prefer the thinner wires. I bought so many extra phone chargers, iPod chargers, DS chargers, and USB cables... :mad:

I tried the Bitter Apple, but this cat like sour things. He likes orange juice and cats are supposed to hate citrus. I did try making a cayenne + water mixture, but that back-fired when I touched the wire and then rubbed my eyes.

There are products which cover the wire and has a vile taste to it, but it's not cheap. There's Chewsafe in Canada, but I don't think it's available anymore. Also it was only offered on a website that sold cable covers and not a pet related website. There's another company in the US called CritterCord. It's about $12 for 10 feet. No idea wha tthe shipping is like. I stopped looking last year, so there might be some new products on the market.

Other than that, the only option left is hiding the wires really well.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
1725 posts
178 upvotes
NeverNeverLand
Just rub some hot sauce (Tobasco) on the cables/wires....and they will never play with them again. Not too much...what I do is sprinkle some on tissue and rub the cable with the sauce...they RUN!!!
“My generation? We drink because it’s good. Because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar. Because we deserve it. We drink because it’s what men do.”
Roger Sterling

"I'm so gifted at findin' what I don't like the most" Kanye West

"oh kwa tan zin wan" Riley Martin
Nov 5, 2009
56 posts
Ottawa
Try the hot pepper spray from the pet store. Also, many cats don't like citrus smell (my four cats hate it, you should see their faces when they accidently smell it. :) )
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7324 posts
1158 upvotes
stallas wrote:
May 12th, 2010 3:15 pm
Try the hot pepper spray from the pet store. Also, many cats don't like citrus smell (my four cats hate it, you should see their faces when they accidently smell it. :) )
I'm going to try this ...hmm..
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7404 posts
1554 upvotes
Edmonton
They sell some sort of cable wrap devices at Costco that might seriously work... I think it was around $20 for several of the devices. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
26 upvotes
I've lost touch with what the cable wraps are made of. But, several years ago I looked at metal covers for cable that fasten to the wall/baseboard. I was thinking of hiding mine and wanted something that was more visually appealing and secured.

Although more expensive, I know HD carries them so if the wraps are plastic or something like that and the cat still gets through, you might want to then go with the metal. They come in various lengths and you can run them horizontally or vertically.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2033 posts
318 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
In harder to reach spots (for the cat) like behind the sofa and where its hidden I have run cords through the carboard tubes from wrapping paper the thicker heaver ones though, not the flimsy ones as he can chew through those.
I also picked up something from the dollar store called a Cable Tidy Kit, works okay but he has still managed to put teeth marks in some cables.

By far the best thing I bought was this from Petsmart he has tried to chew it but can't get his teeth in it and gave up.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... 1&lmdn=Cat

This with the thick cardboard tubes has been the best solution for us.

One warning the stuff from Petsmart smells awful, they put some kind of repellent on it, I had to soak it in a pail of dishwashing soap in the garage for several days to get it out. Otherwise it will stink up your whole house.

Someone had suggessted to me to use PEX pipe from Home Depot, I never looked into it figuring it would be expensive but you may want to look into that too.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1703 posts
57 upvotes
Windsor
Had a cat who would do that about 10 years ago.

SuperSoaker.

After awhile he learned to associate getting wet with chewing on wires.