• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2018 9:04 am
[OP]
Dec 24, 2017
91 posts
34 upvotes
London

Cat Dental Issues & Care

I'm looking into adopting a cat and the humane society called me today and said that I needed to talk to their vet tech about weight loss (i knew about this already) and dental care. I was not aware of any dental issues when filling out the application, and though I can afford the regular costs and the odd unexpected vet visit, I'm concerned about what kind of dental issues the cat could have & what the expenses for the care would cost. I'll be talking to them tomorrow to learn the exact issue, but am concerned about how much dental care costs.

If your cat has any dental issues, what kind of care is required? How often? and if you need to visit a vet, how much does the visit typically cost?

Update: The vet tech told me that she has gingivitis, and that they were taking her in to a full vet tomorrow to see if one tooth is being reabsorbed and may need to be pulled. They told me that because they run on donations, they cannot afford the costs for dental care like that in cats and as such it would be something I might have to do down the road. My research has shown that some people within the past 6 years have paid as low as mid-200s for extractions, but mostly 500-800. I should be told tomorrow what the outlook on the situation is but its looking like I may not be able to get this little girl :(
Last edited by bpboop on Oct 24th, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18919 posts
4027 upvotes
Thornhill
Gotta start brushing their teeth. I am a bad owner because I told myself this too last year and have yet to start brushing it. My cat mostly eats wet, kibble only as a treat. They're young still so I really should start putting my fingers near their gums.

Subscribing for more info.
Apr 25, 2011
850 posts
383 upvotes
British Columbia
Some cats are simply more predisposed to dental disease such as resorptive lesions. Some also have stomatitis. Siamese types especially.

Dental disease is extremely costly to treat. Adopting one with dental disease can be a lot to take on... it may not just be a single cleaning with extractions required but rather something that needs to be done frequently in a cat with dental disease, as even a year later they could have further issues. In severe cases the cats will be unable to eat so it is something that needs to be addressed.

Just so you are aware, 800 can be a base price in some locations for a straight cleaning without extractions. Extractions could run you well over 1,000. Country vets are less expensive than city vets in general if you are looking to save on costs but please keep in mind prices always go up and a cat lives for roughly 15 years.
Jul 16, 2018
28 posts
3 upvotes
How do you get around the brushing part? I usually bring home rescued cats and some of them have gingivitis. I've tried using a toothbrush on them but they get all angry and aggressive and then they either try to bite my hand or just try to run away.
Nov 5, 2018
3 posts
Brushing teeth. Also raw bones like from the chicken wings are good for their teeth too.