Pets

Which cat food do you guys recommend for cat?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2018 12:39 pm
Mar 25, 2006
196 posts
89 upvotes
If you value your cat's long term health, avoid dry diet. Lack of water intake only exacerbates the renal problems most of the cats are prone to as they age. Raw diet is the best, I had excellent results with https://www.reddogbluekat.com/shopping/ ... t-products, which is sold frozen in specialty pet stores.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18919 posts
4027 upvotes
Thornhill
I adopted my bonded pair at 4 months, and the shelter provided a few bags of dry food which the cats loved. But they would vomit half digested kibble from time to time and their poops smelled really bad. They are shelter mutts so they're some sort of mixed shorthair cats, one possibly a Russian Blue mix and the other possibly being part calico.

At 6 months I slowly eased them into raw food, sometimes chicken,sometimes turkey, sometimes beef and pork. They seem to like it but I've noticed that their poops smells a lot less and no more puking! Their fur is super soft too.
Aug 13, 2006
297 posts
33 upvotes
Talking to people in the cat food industry, they recommended Purina. Apparently they do a ton of research on their product.
Jul 3, 2018
17 posts
2 upvotes
jimmysack wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 3:58 am
Hi i just wanna get your opinions on the cat foods out there.

my cats about 14 months. I want to get opinions on cat foods as theres so many different ones and some are a lot more expensive then others.
The foundation of a healthy cat diet is a flesh-based protein like meat, fish or poultry. Dry food should be high in animal proteins. Carbohydrates should make up no more than ten percent of the mix of cat food ingredients. Throughout your cat’s life you will need to modify her diet to accommodate changing metabolism and dietary needs. Feel your cat’s backbone and ribs. If the ribs and backbone show through her skin, she is too thin. If you can’t feel the ribs, your cat is likely overweight. Adjust her portions accordingly.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2880 posts
1249 upvotes
Vancouver
So my cat prefers Wellness wet cat food over First Mate so it was an easy switch. However, we've had her for 2 weeks now and she still refuses to drink any water. I've bought several water bowls and a water fountain and she refuses to drink from them. I've been adding about 100mL of water per day to her wet cat food and she's okay with that. She's also peeing normally, so I know she's not dehydrated, but it'd be nice if she actually drank some water!
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1912 posts
560 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
notenoughsleep wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 12:27 am
So my cat prefers Wellness wet cat food over First Mate so it was an easy switch. However, we've had her for 2 weeks now and she still refuses to drink any water. I've bought several water bowls and a water fountain and she refuses to drink from them. I've been adding about 100mL of water per day to her wet cat food and she's okay with that. She's also peeing normally, so I know she's not dehydrated, but it'd be nice if she actually drank some water!
The wet cat food gives a lot of moisture. Adding water to the food is a great thing to do even if your cat drinks out of the water bowl. As far as I know, there's zero downside to a healthy cat having lots of water other than the fact that you have to clean out the litter box more.

Where is the water located? Sometimes it's just that. I've never had a cat who will drink water that's around the food. As an example, our cats' food is in the kitchen, while their water bowls are in the bedroom under the TV. Try a different location and make sure to change the water at least once a day.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1749 posts
219 upvotes
Canada
my vet suggests

royal canin vet brand and hills science diet.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2880 posts
1249 upvotes
Vancouver
My cat really likes to eat wellness, but it makes her poop soft and more smelly. We tried to put her back on First Mate, since her poop was more solid and smelled less, but she doesn't like it, lol (I'm guessing it's not as flavourful as wellness - hence less smelly poop). We're going to try mixing it half and half.

We've had her for 3 weeks now, and she still refuses to drink water from either her bowl or the water fountain I bought her, so I'm still adding water to each meal. I've put one bowl by her food dish, one bowl by the window, and the water fountain near her scratching post - won't touch them. I did make some fresh chicken broth (no salt added) and she seems to like that. I'm going to experiment mixing that with the water in her bowl and see if she will drink from that.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1912 posts
560 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
notenoughsleep wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 5:21 pm
My cat really likes to eat wellness, but it makes her poop soft and more smelly. We tried to put her back on First Mate, since her poop was more solid and smelled less, but she doesn't like it, lol (I'm guessing it's not as flavourful as wellness - hence less smelly poop). We're going to try mixing it half and half.
What flavour(s) of Wellness are you using? I'm curious as we don't have this problem with two cats who eat Wellness. Mind you, we use the large cans, which has limited flavours, so that's why I'm asking. You could also try the Performatrin brand that's available at Bosley's as well. It's grain free too and not a bad value, somewhere between First Mate and Wellness I'd say. It also comes in an "Ultra" variety, which as far as I know involving the addition of antioxidants or something:
http://bosleys.com/products/cat/food#!/ ... le_type=72

Our cat who doesn't like First Mate turkey likes Performatrin turkey, so who knows?

As long as your cat is eating soft food, I wouldn't worry so much about the water. For what that's worth coming from me, a person you don't know at all. I found this article that pretty-much sums up points about cats drinking water:

https://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories ... t-drinking

There are just so many things that influence a cat's interest in drinking water. Adding it to the food always does the trick of course.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2880 posts
1249 upvotes
Vancouver
TheHans wrote:
Jul 20th, 2018 4:55 pm
What flavour(s) of Wellness are you using? I'm curious as we don't have this problem with two cats who eat Wellness. Mind you, we use the large cans, which has limited flavours, so that's why I'm asking. You could also try the Performatrin brand that's available at Bosley's as well. It's grain free too and not a bad value, somewhere between First Mate and Wellness I'd say. It also comes in an "Ultra" variety, which as far as I know involving the addition of antioxidants or something:
http://bosleys.com/products/cat/food#!/ ... le_type=72

Our cat who doesn't like First Mate turkey likes Performatrin turkey, so who knows?

As long as your cat is eating soft food, I wouldn't worry so much about the water. For what that's worth coming from me, a person you don't know at all. I found this article that pretty-much sums up points about cats drinking water:

https://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories ... t-drinking

There are just so many things that influence a cat's interest in drinking water. Adding it to the food always does the trick of course.
It's specifically the beef flavors that are giving her smelly poop (which is a shame because she really likes the beef & salmon). We've put her back on first mate for now, but will occasionally give her some of the chicken&lobster and turkey&salmon as a treat.
Sep 23, 2011
73 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Buy a grinder and make it yourself! We have been doing it for the past 6 or so years - much cheaper, not very difficult (we make the main stuff once every 2-3 months) and you control the ingredients. If anyone is interested PM me and I will provide more info.

I even thought about starting a company and selling it but after a few weeks of working on it figured I wasn't passionate about it. Maybe one day...
Banned
Jul 29, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
Instinct Variety and Primal Raw. Though I like to give mine some raw liver.
Jul 24, 2018
111 posts
57 upvotes
CatLadyFitness.com has some informative videos for those who are curious about feeding a raw diet. She follows the recipe of feline-nutrition.org, but makes it interesting and emphasizes the importance of adding necessary supplements.

Here's a link to a list of her YouTube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ess+recipe
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
2936 posts
1422 upvotes
Toronto and London
Nature's variety instinct cat canned food.
Jul 24, 2018
111 posts
57 upvotes
Before I switched to raw feeding, I was alternating the following wet foods:

Petcurean Go! Fit+Free (BC HQ; Mfg. plant in ON)
Wellness Core
Nature's Variety Instinct
Nulo

I then moved up to Kiwi Peak and Tiki Cat (after Dark) but because they are so expensive, I decided to learn how to make it myself.

If you can afford it then feeding wet food over dry kibble will be a healthier choice for your cat(s). See: http://www.feline-nutrition.org for more info.