Pets

Which cat food do you guys recommend for cat?

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2019 1:09 pm
Jul 24, 2018
135 posts
71 upvotes
Hamilton
osuman wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 10:57 pm
How would you react if someone decides to put a horse on meat only diet?
Horses are herbivores with specialized digestive systems.

Dogs (and humans) are omnivores.

Cats are considered by science to be obligate carnivores, with specialized digestive systems like horses. Cats can, however, benefit from pre-digested plant matter from the intestines of the prey they eat.

I'm not a scientist or a veterinarian, and I can only go by the information available to search at my fingertips. I encourage everyone with an interest to do the same.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1130 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
jimmysack wrote:
Sep 10th, 2018 11:18 am
well how much does raw food cost? where can i buy it
Not sure if you started, but just in case, and if someone else is looking after.

I've managed to transition my cat from kibble to full wet - which was rather easy, once I found the right protein (which was a bit of a pain, I got like 50 cans on black friday of Salmon, but she would only eat chicken and duck lol).
She's been eating canned food like I'm eating a steak. She's literally cleans the plate.

Day before yesterday I decided to buy some small, not so expensive frozen raw food. I went to my local pet valu (to return those 50 cans of Salmon canned food...) and picked up a 2lb Chicken Dinner container. it was like 6-7 bucks; and as per calculators, she should eat around 80g per day. So around 11 days worth of food for like $7;

Now. I picked that just to test, but I won't be buying more of it. Firstly because it's a "dinner" lots of other stuff that aren't meat (Apples, Carrots, Organic Kale, Organic Spinach, Organic Blueberries, Organic Cranberries, Organic Kelp); and then - the container isn't that great. They're very fragile, they had a few of them broken at the store;

Once I manage to get her full on raw, I'm buying these:
https://www.carnivora.ca/html/Carnivora ... /index.cfm
They are single ingredient. The packaging looks better - they're in patties, and you probably can cut it frozen, don't need to thaw it all to portion it up. Only drawback is that they only sell 1.8kg packs (or I only saw that), but guess it's OK.
Cost-wise its about 16 (chicken) and up to the 40s I think, for the most expensive proteins;

So price-wise, it's actually cheaper than feed canned, and not much more than feeding dry (or cheaper than a top quality kibble brand)
But many will say that you'll also save on Vet bills (especially dental stuff)

update (Jan 7th) -

Bought that Chicken Carnivora, my cat loves it. I don't need to heat a bit, from the fridge to dish and she devours it in seconds! Her fur is nicer, and as mentioned by other users the poop barely smells.
I bought a bag of Duck Carnivora yesterday, it's a bit more than Chicken, but rotation seems to be good for them. 1.8KG bag isn't a big deal as I though originally.
Last edited by neonic on Jan 7th, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Jan 8, 2015
129 posts
56 upvotes
York, ON
stay away from anything that contains by-product in it's ingredient list. Here is why: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_product
by-product is found in 90% of the wet cat food out there, the remaining 10% is the real good stuff.

I found Authority from pet smart to be the best value (exclusive to petsmart). However, with that being said, Authority has recently released a "new look" to their cans which deceived many in hiding the reduced quantity per can, with that being said, it is probably still the best value.
The second best value I found at the time of my search was blue (another brand that did not contain any by-product). Prices are 1.49 and 1.99 respectively, here are the links:

https://www.petsmart.ca/cat/food-and-tr ... gid=200170

https://www.petsmart.ca/cat/food-and-tr ... gid=200170

FYI, my cats for whatever reason don't like the flaked or shredded meat types that Authority provides, the "Pate" is their favourite, you may want to try a few different types and flavours to see which one your cat likes.
Our feeding schedule: wet food morning & night. dried food through out their day.

Authority also has a good dried food line that is by-product free as well.

If anyone has any better suggestions to cat food I am all ears. From my research however, these two brands are your best bet (value wise). You can of course pay a premium price and get the really good stuff like Nutro, Blue wilderness etc... that is totally up to you and how much you want to spend on cat food.
Jul 24, 2018
135 posts
71 upvotes
Hamilton
From the Wikipedia article you linked to:
Animal By-Product in Pet Food
The leftover pieces that comes from the process of stripping meat from animals tends to get used for different purposes. One of them is to put these parts into pet food. Many large, well-known pet food brands use animal by-products as protein sources in their recipes. This can include animal feet, livers, lungs, heads, spleens, etc.
I feed a raw diet and include "By-Products" such as ground bone, liver, and hearts on my vet's insistence. Gizzards, tripe, lungs, brain matter...these are all parts my vet is for. Feline-Nutrition.org is also an advocate of animal by-products in pet food.

I too was once against by-products in pet food, until my vet encouraged me to do some more research. He educated me by informing me that a clean-flesh-only diet isn't nutritionally balanced and, for that I'm grateful.
Mar 17, 2016
933 posts
681 upvotes
What are your opinions on Frieskies wet cat food?

My parents have been feeding their cat that almost exclusively for the last 10+ years and the cat loves it. Is it average? Every store seems to have it in stock. Cat has been perfectly healthy (knock on wood).
May 6, 2009
43 posts
3 upvotes
Montreal
I feed my cat Acana dry food in the day and wet canned food in the evening . For wet food i give her differnet ones ziki to wlleness Fromm to crave.
She seems to like it. I 'd rather give better quality food than pay for vet bills.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
3760 posts
1560 upvotes
Vancouver
We fed our last cat First Mate wet food - it was good, limited ingredient quality food and was relatively inexpensive. Unfortunately my new cats won't eat it. I've since switched to Wellness wet cat food.
Feb 18, 2019
4 posts
2 upvotes
I don’t choose the food from grocery cat food, it might be cheap but I had bad experience for my cats and I am scared from it.
Feb 16, 2016
482 posts
148 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
I have 2 cats and I feed them dry food only. I use Performatrin Ultra - Grain free. Here is the link: Your text to link here...

I also mix it with another dry food. Royal Canin for cats with dental care. Here is the link: Your text to link here...

They cost me an arm and a leg every time. The Performatrin Ultra is only available at Pet Value and costs about 65$. The Royal Canin one is only available at vet stores and it costs about 100$ for the biggest bag.

Should I switch to something else? My cats seem to like the food and I don't have a lot of hairballs on the floor... Also, should I introduce canned food? If so, which one?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1835 posts
272 upvotes
Canada
I feed my cat vet bought royal canin
Yes feed them wet food
They need variety and it’s better for them
The extra water and moisture
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8619 posts
6239 upvotes
Markham
bluenose2 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 12:31 pm
I feed my cat vet bought royal canin
Yes feed them wet food
They need variety and it’s better for them
The extra water and moisture
Royal Canin makes the worst food in the world. It's basically as good as the cheapest food you can buy at a discount grocery store.

The only reason it's expensive, is because its packaged nicely and they've got a huge advertisement budget.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2474 posts
719 upvotes
Woodbridge
jimmysack wrote:
Feb 15th, 2019 9:37 pm
This is what i feed my cat. best quality/ingredients + best price imo

grain free. big 17.8lb bag. but you can only purchase it from costco online for some reason they dont sell it in any stores.

https://www.costco.ca/Kirkland-Signatur ... 54098.html
Both of our cats had some digestive issues with wet stool and leaving spots around the house. Switched to this and haven't had a single problem since.
Dec 25, 2016
45 posts
6 upvotes
Ontario
Joeyjoejoe - I could not agree with you more! Science Diet and Hills is CRAP!!!! So not good for your animals.

My cat is a very picky eater and I have tried so many different brands. I did a lot of research because I wanted to make sure my cat was getting good quality ingredients without all the fillers. The 3 brands that I found are the best for my girl that she likes are Tiki Cat (high moisture content), Weruva and Feline Natural (also high moisture content). These all have really good ingredients. Yes, they are a little more pricey but my baby is worth it.