Pets

Cat has dermatitis, food recommendations please.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2018 10:13 pm
[OP]
Apr 25, 2018
3 posts

Cat has dermatitis, food recommendations please.

My poor cat has dermatitis and i have metal bowls for food and drink. He scratches constantly at his ears, so i need to put a cone on him, I do have another cat and he is fine so it is nothing contagious. I tried a human grade food but this only made him have diarrhea, so went back to the food he was on grain free turkey as main ingredient. I have tried all kinds of treatments, I have been to the vet and it is very costly for steroid shots and the condition returns within a few weeks of finishing his steroid regime. I have looked at the prescription Hills diet and general consensus is that they charge way to much for this food available via vets. Please can anyone who has had a cat with this condition recommend a good cat food to help with the dermatitis as at this point this is my only hope of getting my poor cat any long lasting relief. He is an older Bengal cat if that makes any difference. Thank you.
4 replies
Apr 25, 2011
785 posts
336 upvotes
British Columbia
If it is an allergic issue in relation to food then it is trial and error until you find something that works.

Stick to a novel protein source, such as venison or duck, in a limited ingredient form. The less ingredients the better and only one protein source.

Do not let your cat eat anything besides that food or it's all for nothing. Make sure it is not a protein source the cat has had before. The food trial will take a few weeks to see results if it is working, and keep in mind with any initial food change you can get GI upset due to the switch, not necessarily the food itself. The best way to avoid that is to gradually switch over within a week-long period.

Some people report great success with raw food diets. They are not cheap however if you buy them premade, and to do them correctly yourself is time-consuming and difficult to get correct in the proper ratios required to keep a balanced diet.

If that doesn't work, try one of the veterinary diets with hydrolyzed protein. Those diets aren't something you'll find in a pet store; Hypo HP or Z/D.

Lastly, it could be enviromental allergies. In which case there isn't a whole lot you can do besides what you're doing. Allergy testing is expensive and not usually all that helpful - but worth a shot as a last resort.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2018
3 posts
Thank you so much for y our input Karala, you have helped me in my decision as i was looking at the limited ingredient cat food and came across the venison and peas , does it matter which brand? I will do some more research before making the switch. Thank you again. do you know what would be the best shampoo to use as he has started to smell a bit and any other suggestions to help my cats ears heal as even with the cone on the scabs come off as he shakes his head because he cannot itch them... i have checked for fleas and mites. Thank you again.
Apr 25, 2011
785 posts
336 upvotes
British Columbia
The brand could very well make a big difference. One issue could be processing plants do not clean machinery between different batches of food and you may get contaminated food even if it is limited ingredient; there's no telling whatever may have been processed in the machine beforehand. I don't have any insider knowledge in which brands to avoid.

Frequently I've heard Natural Balance LID works for pets with allery issues. There are other less commercially available brands from independent pet stores that you may also have great success with... But every animal is an individual so there's unfortunately no telling which will work for your pet. Like I said, trial and error.

For the rest of your questions it sounds like they're the type that may be best evaluated by your veterinarian. If you've been in recently, perhaps give them a call and ask for advice on a shampoo and how best to proceed with the healing process.
[OP]
Apr 25, 2018
3 posts
Hi Karala,
I will try the Venison and peas Natural Balance LID as my cats have been on Turkey based diet, I'm assuming to stay away from any kind of poultry to eliminate possibity of that being the allergy. I heard black tea is good for the skin, wondering if good as a rinse. Thank you again for your help.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)