Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2654 posts
1170 upvotes
Vancouver

Cat keeps getting poop stuck to her

We just adopted our adult medium/long-hair cat last week. Whenever she poops, she always has some stuck on her (usually the tail). It's not diarrhea, the stool is well-formed but soft. We found out because there was always a smear on the litterbox or on the floor around the litter box. We are currently using the pine pellets as a litter. I read it might be diet-related, we're currently using first mate wet food which is what she was eating when in her foster home. We're trying switching to Wellness wet food to see if that will make any difference. Any other suggestions?
14 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18842 posts
3954 upvotes
Thornhill
How big is the litter box? Does she groom herself after a poop?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2654 posts
1170 upvotes
Vancouver
Standard size litter box, she is a small cat only 8 lbs. Yes she does groom herself but her tail is pretty fluffy, so I'm guessing she's missing some spots. Confirmed poop is on the tail by my wife, she found small pieces stuck ot her tail.

Problem is, I don't know if it's sticking to her in the act of pooping, or she is stepping/rubbing against it after she has pooped (although I suspect it's the first).
Feb 2, 2018
2 posts
1 upvote
toronto
Perhaps try to change her litter. My two cats prefer a "harder" litter. Once they tried a much softer/lighter coconut shell-based litter, and they seemed to have trouble standing in the litter... (maybe they were sinking? so its harder for them to lift their tails and butt high enough from the litter bed). Now they use walnut shell- based litter and they are fine with it.
Sep 20, 2003
312 posts
58 upvotes
Burnaby
trim some fur around its butt. We have to do that for a couple of long haired cats. sometimes the fur covers the butt and they can't get to it to clean. also shorter fur means the poo won't get on it so easily. i do it once a month with non pointy scissors.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3540 posts
189 upvotes
Georgetown
Had a cat with the same problem... only happened when feeding it wet food. Never had the problem with dry food.

Dead serious response. Been there... it sucked! Was super glad it had an easy resolution (for me at least).

I hope switching to dry food works for you too.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1725 posts
472 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
I'd try a larger litter box even though she's small herself. For instance, we used to use one of those plastic baby baths that we got from a second-hand store. Many cats crouch and lift their tails up when they poop, but then of course they circle the poop and sniff it to cover it. I'm wondering if somehow the size of the litter box is causing her to drag her tail in the poop when she's sniffing it and covering it because of a lack of room. Just a thought. Could you possibly watch her when she poops? Seriously, it could give you a clue. Cats can just do all kinds of odd things that become habits.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1640 posts
332 upvotes
Everywhere
Smelly cat needs a haircut Face With Tears Of Joy
May 23, 2018
3 posts
batcave wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 11:57 pm
Smelly cat needs a haircut Face With Tears Of Joy
Yeeee, one of my kitties had the same issue, so kinda shaving a bit - often solved that. >.<
However, he got a bit bigger and that solved itself out.
Aug 20, 2009
6485 posts
1130 upvotes
Grimsby
As someone else suggested I would start with trimming the hair. Long hairs can have all sorts of problems cleaning because of it.
Aug 13, 2006
294 posts
32 upvotes
Also another vote for a hair cut. Ask your vet when you go in for a check-up. Alternative is to buy a trimmer. I find scissors are not great unless you have a really sharp one.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13642 posts
1258 upvotes
My cat gets poobum too.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2654 posts
1170 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for the suggestion, we gave our cat a little butt/tail trim (much to her dismay) and it seems to have helped a bit.
Sep 20, 2003
312 posts
58 upvotes
Burnaby
cats also get wet shits from stress. prolly will sort itself out when it gets used to the new home. Also we feed a different flavor food each meal on a weekly rotation. they rarely have stomach problems due to eating new stuff or people food.