[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2009
1386 posts
107 upvotes
Niagara Falls

Cat Litter Box/Litter

Hey all,

My wife & I are adopting a cat and I’m looking for a litter box/good litter.

The litter box is going to be kept in our basements laundry room as our home is quite small & if it was to be on the main floor it’d be in the kitchen or family room which is not ideal.

I’d like a litter box/litter that does a good job at containing/hiding any odour. We are okay with spending a bit more money to achieve this. Cleanliness is a top priority for me. I’m a bit of a clean freak at home.

My wife is also 3.5 months pregnant so I’ll be on litter duty for a while, lol.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4101 posts
911 upvotes
Sask.
We have our litter box in the kitchen, no smell (others tell us).

Large covered cat pan, get a decent scooper as well

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cove ... p.html#srp

For litter, we use no name unscented clumping litter, hardly notice dust, clumps well.

I am curious, though, why you are adopting a cat when you have a baby coming?
Before our son was born, we reluctantly rehomed our two cats because I knew I would have my hands full with the baby.

Good luck with both!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2009
1386 posts
107 upvotes
Niagara Falls
natalka wrote:
Jul 30th, 2019 7:04 pm
We have our litter box in the kitchen, no smell (others tell us).

Large covered cat pan, get a decent scooper as well

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cove ... p.html#srp

For litter, we use no name unscented clumping litter, hardly notice dust, clumps well.

I am curious, though, why you are adopting a cat when you have a baby coming?
Before our son was born, we reluctantly rehomed our two cats because I knew I would have my hands full with the baby.

Good luck with both!
Why did you re-home your cats? Solely because you were having a baby without seeing how they’d react to the baby first?

Not to be harsh but my parents adopted a dog a few years ago who was surrendered simply because the couple was expecting. They didn’t wait to see how the dog would react to the baby, how he’d behave, etc. Turns out he is the sweetest dog ever & loves children. It’s too bad that family didn’t wait & see that but we are thankful because he is a doll.

I don’t think expecting/having a baby is any reason not to have a pet :)
Jul 28, 2019
64 posts
25 upvotes
If you're a clean freak, you'll want some kind of a double system where the box is within a box with some kind of a mat to help catch the litter on the cat's paws. It's awful. Clumping litter (scented) is best for odor but worst for sticking to their paws and subsequently scattering around the house. There is a type of crystal litter that's supposed to be good but many cats won't use it. Honestly, every type of cat litter has something negative about it. The best is to try the various options and see what's best for you. But a box within a box will cut down on odor and litter scattering for sure. I personally didn't like no name clumping litter as someone else mentioned. I used a store brand from Mondou and it was much better.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19222 posts
4331 upvotes
Thornhill
disgruntledmama wrote:
Jul 31st, 2019 7:42 am
If you're a clean freak, you'll want some kind of a double system where the box is within a box with some kind of a mat to help catch the litter on the cat's paws. It's awful. Clumping litter (scented) is best for odor but worst for sticking to their paws and subsequently scattering around the house. There is a type of crystal litter that's supposed to be good but many cats won't use it. Honestly, every type of cat litter has something negative about it. The best is to try the various options and see what's best for you. But a box within a box will cut down on odor and litter scattering for sure. I personally didn't like no name clumping litter as someone else mentioned. I used a store brand from Mondou and it was much better.
Double system works well for me, I modified an Ikea storage bench, put in a litter box inside it, with a mesh metal drying rack so the cats have to walk through it and catches majority of the dust and litter.

It still doesn't solve all the litter tracking but helps a lot.

The pic isn't mine but mines is similar,except the exit is on the side not the front .

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/79938962112952163/
Jul 28, 2019
64 posts
25 upvotes
coriolis wrote:
Jul 31st, 2019 9:19 am
Double system works well for me, I modified an Ikea storage bench, put in a litter box inside it, with a mesh metal drying rack so the cats have to walk through it and catches majority of the dust and litter.

It still doesn't solve all the litter tracking but helps a lot.

The pic isn't mine but mines is similar,except the exit is on the side not the front .

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/79938962112952163/
Yep, that set-up is exactly what I'm talking about. And the best is to use a covered litter box and place the entrance at the opposite end of the entrance to the second box. That way, the cat is forced to walk along the mat or grill or whatever you use in the second box so the maximum amount of litter actually comes off in the box rather than all over your house. Honestly for me, litter scattering is the worst part of owning a cat.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4101 posts
911 upvotes
Sask.
@Nurse2B - yes, because of the baby coming. We had thought long and hard about it, it was obviously a hard decision to make; we had the cats only for two years and they were wonderful. We didn't like the idea of a cat snuggling up with the baby while sleeping, for example.

When our son was four, we did get two cats, furever ones.
Nov 9, 2015
17 posts
9 upvotes
My partner and I have a cat in a 1bdrm apartment we share. Silica crystals have been the best for us, tracks a bit less out of the litter box, and is actually odour free (until it's time to change). Have never found a clay litter that didn't make the apartment smell like cat litter. Also not dusty at all.

Can buy the crystals at Loblaws or Walmart, I think Canadian Tire too. Pick up this scoop: https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/lurvig-cat ... -70377056/. The holes are big enough for the crystals to fall through so you can scoop the poop. Most other scoops won't work.

We end up changing out the litter every few weeks once it starts to smell.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
3828 posts
1588 upvotes
Vancouver
Also, you might want to consider getting a second litter box. Some people say number of litter boxes = number of cats + 1, but not 100% necessary of course. We had 2 boxes when we had 1 cat, and now have 3 boxes for 2 cats - gives them a choice, lol. We're currently using pine litter because it's cheap and does a decent job of hiding odour, but it does track easily. We do have a litter mat under the box but still gets out.

We also got 2 cats while my wife was pregnant. We actually got 1 cat right before my wife was pregnant, but she sadly passed away a few months after we adopted her due to cancer. I then wanted to adopt 2 cats so they could keep each other company and my wife was quite hesitant, but I thought it would be great for my kid to grow up with pets. Definitely more work with 2 cats and a baby, but I have no regrets. Was really cute, 1 of the cats kept sleeping on my wife's pregnant belly, almost like he knew there was a baby in there. I have heard horror stories of some cats not adjusting to babies and will act out (peeing everywhere, aggression, etc.) Thankfully both of our cats have adapted quite well to the baby. One of them (the one that kept sleeping on my wife's pregnant belly) is comfortable enough that he will sleep next to us while we hold the baby and will occasionally come into the baby's room to check her out. The other one is not particularly interested in the baby but is not bothered by her either.

Good luck with the cat and the baby!
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2379 posts
822 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
My litter-cleaning system is hubby. :-) He keeps the litter boxes clean. If you keep the boxes clean, the only issue with odour (in my experience) comes from what you use to store the litter until you throw it out. We use a stainless steel garbage can that seals well at the top. With that, there's simply no odour. We also use the No-Name unscented clumping litter from the Superstore. And we use two litter boxes for two cats.
So let it be e-mailed...so let it be done!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2009
1386 posts
107 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I am at the brink of insanity. Our kitten has been with us for approx. 5 weeks (she is 15.5 weeks old) She took to her litter box instantly with no issues/accidents. Over the past week she’s suddenly started stepping in her own poop in the box & I’m having to bath her foot/paw every time she goes, followed by practically sanitizing the entire house because I am a clean freak.

I initially thought it was the cheap Costco Qualicat litter we tried (initially started with Tidy Cats). Purchased World’s Best Litter yesterday. Nope, she did it again tonight.

I’ve read it’s a kitten “learning to bury” but she only recently began doing this and had no issues burying until now so I’m not sure that theory applies. I took the lid off her box, clean it 2-3x/day, completing switch out the litter weekly. I’m just reaching a breaking point.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2261 posts
871 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Get a bigger litter box? Our cats very occasionally step into their own poop accidentally. More room gives them more space to maneuver.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19222 posts
4331 upvotes
Thornhill
I agree with above poster. Your kitty might prefer a large box, or they only cover if the litter box is completely clean.

One of my cats only covers if she's the first one to use it after being cleaned. Yes my two cats share one box, if get a second but I live in an apartment.
Sep 10, 2008
197 posts
17 upvotes
We have 3 litter boxes for two cats but they have decided to only use two. All 3 are

We use wood pellets. If you scoop regularly, it doesn’t smell. It is noisy though when they dig in. I think it’s like 40lbs bag for 4$ and a bag lasts quite a while. A pair of salad thongs from the dollar store works wonders for picking up solid waste (since pellets are too big for most sifting scoops).
Jan 1, 2015
414 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I got the arm & hammer clump & seal and it seems to be working well with my new kitten. Definitely make sure to get a litter mat for the litter box though because the litter pebbles are everywhere around the litter box.