• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2017 3:57 pm
[OP]
Nov 25, 2009
278 posts
72 upvotes
Duncan

Cat Litter - What's the best buy?

Hey there, I was wondering where all the RFD'ers buy their cat litter? I recently switched back to clumping clay litter from wood pellets (roughly $5/40lb) because I bought the litter robot and I’m trying to find the most cost effective litter, considering I just spent a small fortune on litter boxes. So far I’ve gotten no name at superstore for a little over $7/20kg bag. I'm wondering if there are any better deals out there, or perhaps better products for around the same price point. We have a multiple cat household so we go through it.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
2404 posts
2343 upvotes
Normally, store brand is the cheapest if you are talking about everyday price. However, you get what you pay for. If you want better quality, you need spend a little bit of more money. "Arm & Hammer Clump and Seal " and "Precious Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter" are the best value so far .

Purina Maxx Cat used to be a good one, but stupid Purina discontinued the product and introduce a new brand called "Tidy Cat". I haven't used Tidy Cat before, so no comment about it, but I have heard lots of people are complaining it while some people are ok with it. However, I believe there is a quality and quantities control problem. If you look at the jar of the litter next time you are in supermarket, different bottle shows different level / quantities of the litter. I don't know if the litter is stolen by someone else (since the jar is NOT sealed) or the machine has certain packaging problem. Also, I believe the litter on the bottom tends to be more dusty as you can see (through the jar) that the litter particle is much smaller.
Dec 11, 2004
195 posts
3 upvotes
We get QualiCat from Costco. About $8 for 50lbs
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10227 posts
1283 upvotes
Toronto
Dollarama has both the $2 and $3 litter bags for a quick fix, (when money is tight)
but it's not cheaper than buying a pail of litter other places.
The $2 litter is garbage. Good to steer clear of that stuff.
The $3 litter is not bad, but again, it's only a good quick fix for times when money is tight.
(fills the litter box only twice)
[OP]
Nov 25, 2009
278 posts
72 upvotes
Duncan
nerak wrote:We get QualiCat from Costco. About $8 for 50lbs
Is that only available in Costco East, I'm in BC.
playnicee1 wrote:Dollarama has both the $2 and $3 litter bags for a quick fix, (when money is tight)
The $3 litter is not bad, but again, it's only a good quick fix for times when money is tight.
Yeah, budget's not tight so much as I have to buy massive quantities with multiple cats so we've got to be economical where we can.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10227 posts
1283 upvotes
Toronto
g_althena wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 8:50 pm
nerak wrote:We get QualiCat from Costco. About $8 for 50lbs

playnicee1 wrote:Dollarama has both the $2 and $3 litter bags for a quick fix, (when money is tight)
Yeah, budget's not tight so much as I have to buy massive quantities with multiple cats so we've got to be economical where we can.
$3 is still the best quick fix if you're also tight on time and can not get to costco... ie short notice that friends or family is coming over and you don't want them to see a litter box full of crap...hopefully the Dollarama is close to your home.
Otherwise, Costco seems to be your best bet for regular use. Best size pail for the money and their (dust free) litter is not bad.
Nov 10, 2015
717 posts
160 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I don't like the one from Costco as it has a small opening, forcing you to pick up the container to pour it out. The first and only time I bought one of these, I picked up the container and ended up with a torn back muscle.
I find the boxes at Superstore to be the most practicle to use, as they have a large, full opening.
Anyone But Justin 2019
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3627 posts
655 upvotes
Sask.
We use the NN unscented clumping from Superstore - not only is it cheap at $7 or less for 20kg bags, it's also the best all around litter for our two cats.
Dec 11, 2004
195 posts
3 upvotes
I'm not sure if it's available in BC, but I'm from the centre of the rfd universe...hehe. Costco has offered something different in the past called Simplicity Plus, interchanging for a while at my Costco. They look the same to me...same sized box and same price, same looking clay with some blue odour absorbing beads, but some internet reviews seem to prefer QualiCat but I honestly can't tell. You can't go wrong with either. I like them both over the one time I got arm and hammer.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2009
278 posts
72 upvotes
Duncan
I'm not sure, I haven't been in Costco for a couple weeks, but I think it west here we only have a green jug container of litter for sale. No boxes. I could be wrong as I haven't been looking for it for years.
Perhaps if the 20kg bags go on sale at superstore in future I'll just stock up. Or if I keep buying it I might see points pop up in my PC plus app.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
8894 posts
1468 upvotes
Toronto
poleman wrote:
Sep 21st, 2016 10:08 pm
I don't like the one from Costco as it has a small opening, forcing you to pick up the container to pour it out. The first and only time I bought one of these, I picked up the container and ended up with a torn back muscle.
I find the boxes at Superstore to be the most practicle to use, as they have a large, full opening.
I use a scoop...an empty 1 litre peanut butter jar does the trick for me.
Aug 13, 2006
258 posts
13 upvotes
I heard good things about Petsmart's house brand litter. I'm planning to try it out myself after I finish the last few precious buckets of the (now discontinued) Purina Maxx Cat.
Dec 28, 2008
590 posts
110 upvotes
Rural Ontario
The large 22kg boxes from TSC work great...especially when on sale for about 8 bucks a box.

Very low dust and absorbent. Keeps the smell down also.
"The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Build model airplanes!" says the little fairy, well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off your dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I've seen it a hundred times." - Tommy Boy.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel