Pets

Cat Litter - What's the best buy?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2017 3:57 pm
Banned
Nov 23, 2016
43 posts
45 upvotes
I might have to bump this, sorry, as I am also looking for the best value litter.

I've tried superstore ones and I think it was okay. I can't remember if it was more dust free or not compared with the Walmart in house brand Special Kitty (which I don't like because it doesn't clump well).

Besides superstore and walmart, what other value litters ($11 and below for 18-22 kg) are out there?

I'm in BC, just like OP, so no costco or TSC, please.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
1864 posts
383 upvotes
Kelowna
I am also in the same boat. I'm down to my last tub of maxx cat and I am now looking for a replacement. I may just have to start buying one of each and see what I, and they cats, like the best.
Apr 25, 2011
548 posts
181 upvotes
British Columbia
Haven't tried it myself but Canadian Tire has cheap cat litter.

I personally just stick with the Superstore one. We pour it outside into smaller jugs and it losses a lot of its dust.
Oct 16, 2015
365 posts
189 upvotes
Quebec
Sinyk wrote:
Dec 21st, 2016 12:57 pm
I am also in the same boat. I'm down to my last tub of maxx cat and I am now looking for a replacement. I may just have to start buying one of each and see what I, and they cats, like the best.
I ended up moving to "Fresh Start" which you can buy really cheap at Canadian Tire (like less than half the price I used to pay for Maxx). It's dustier and overall not as good as Maxx Cat was, but for the price it is certainly good enough, and the best (least worst) replacement for Maxx that I've found so far. My cat is not fussy about cat litter, but if yours is then grab a box of the new stuff now and start mixing it in.

I tried "Tidy Cat" as a freebie with a voucher from a Maxx Cat box, and it is horrible! The cat left grains of litter all over the house. Expensive too - don't waste your money. :)
Sep 3, 2008
170 posts
3 upvotes
Bump... those who switched from Maxx Scoop, what did you go to? Is there anything comparable in terms of quality? must be clay to work with my Litter Robot.

We had some Fresh Step (which is different from Fresh Start, mentioned above) litter that we liked from the USA, but I haven't seen this for purchase in Canada. And now were out of it, and no where near a border.
Sep 12, 2011
51 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
I'm loving THIS from Canadian Tire. It clumps really well, low dust and is often on sale for under $7/ 18kg.
I used to use Maxx Scoop- this is a great replacement. Comes scented or un-scented. Keeps odors under control.
Mar 7, 2011
5 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary, AB
We use the stuff from Canadian Tire, when it goes on sale. We have 4 cats, so go through a lot as well. When it goes on sale, we buy about 20 boxes. When not on sale, we use the house brand at the PetValu store. I can send pics when I'm at home.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2009
278 posts
72 upvotes
Duncan
Just as a quick update, we gave up on the Litter Robots as they didn't seem to make our lives much easier in the end with the multiple cats. Hasn't used clay litter in years and was reminded just how much I disliked it. Little bits of litter everywhere and tiny little dirty paw prints, unhealthy for the kitties and the environment. Very heavy, did not work with our limited garbage allotment, and was more expensive than the wood pellets.
We've gone back to wood pellets and I really can't recommend them enough to cat owners. I understand not all cats will agree to use them (though ALL of ours have) but it's worth a try at 5-6 bucks a bag. We sift them for economy, they reduce the odour of waste really well, the sawdust created is much lighter and better for the environment and your kitties health and they're cheaper. Try it if you haven't, you just might be a convert.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel