• Nov 13th, 2017 3:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2016
1827 posts
661 upvotes

Cat lovers, I need your help.

My dear wife, who is loved dearly by our siamese cat, managed to step on his paw as he was rubbing against her and almost tripping her. The poor cat is now limping and his paw is swollen.

Please, save me the vet bill. My common sense tells me that realistically there is nothing the vet can really do for him other than confirm a hairline crack or sprain in his paw. He seems content and is quietly sleeping on the couch. I think I should just leave him in peace and give him a few days/weeks to recover. Am I wrong?
20 replies
Oct 6, 2015
791 posts
400 upvotes
My cat jumped off the roof and landed wrong one time. Limped for a week, but no big deal.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1426 posts
352 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
bewiseman wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 5:47 pm
My common sense tells me that realistically there is nothing the vet can really do for him other than confirm a hairline crack or sprain in his paw. He seems content and is quietly sleeping on the couch. I think I should just leave him in peace and give him a few days/weeks to recover. Am I wrong?
Did that just happen today? I was wondering if he's eating. That's often a big hint that something's wrong. Regardless, I'm not a fan of most vets, but the truth is that even if it's a sprain or a hairline fracture, the cat might need some care re: his paw wrapped or something. So my advice would be to go to holisticat.com. It has an amazing forum with truly knowledgeable people. People there have helped me more times than I can count, with serious and less serious issues. You can register and read the posts and it costs nothing at all. But if you want to post yourself, you can join for $10 for three months or $25 for a year. You could post under Acute and explain the situation. I would highly recommend you do that at the very least. If you need to see a vet, I'm sure it would be clear after asking about your issue on there.

He's a beauty. :-)
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Apr 25, 2011
689 posts
253 upvotes
British Columbia
Unfortunately we can't ease your concerns over the internet. You would need a veterinarian for that. The cat may need x-rays for a diagnosis and may be put on pain medication. Depending on if/where/how it is broken there may be further suggestions such as cage rest or a splint or even surgery. Maybe the vet will simply tell you you monitor for a week, but who knows...

My most recent addition (a kitten that ran into our home one night and never left...) was limping for about 24 hours. No idea what he did but after that he appeared fine. Of course every circumstance is different.

If money is a concern you could phone around asking for a quote on an exam and x-rays. Vets outside of the city are also frequently less expensive as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2016
1827 posts
661 upvotes
TheHans wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 6:47 pm
Did that just happen today? I was wondering if he's eating. That's often a big hint that something's wrong. Regardless, I'm not a fan of most vets, but the truth is that even if it's a sprain or a hairline fracture, the cat might need some care re: his paw wrapped or something. So my advice would be to go to holisticat.com. It has an amazing forum with truly knowledgeable people. People there have helped me more times than I can count, with serious and less serious issues. You can register and read the posts and it costs nothing at all. But if you want to post yourself, you can join for $10 for three months or $25 for a year. You could post under Acute and explain the situation. I would highly recommend you do that at the very least. If you need to see a vet, I'm sure it would be clear after asking about your issue on there.

He's a beauty. :-)
Surprisingly, he presents himself as very content, sleeping, eating normally, begging for treats, jumping on piano and kitchen counter. However, he does all of this with three paws and spends a lot of time licking the one bad paw. This happened yesterday evening and has worsened throughout the day.

The trick now is to keep him inside. Originally, the goal was to keep him as indoor cat, however as soon as my 3 and 5 year old children outsmarted the child locks on the doors, its been impossible to keep him (and them) inside.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1426 posts
352 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
bewiseman wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 7:08 pm
However, he does all of this with three paws and spends a lot of time licking the one bad paw. This happened yesterday evening and has worsened throughout the day.
Cats are the most stoic of creatures. If a cat isn't well, often you wouldn't even know it until the cat is *really* ill and can't hide it any longer. So the fact that he's heavily favouring the one paw really suggests he's in distress. At the very least, keeping the cat inside would be paramount, as walking on it can only make it worse. Your cat might only have a sprain and need rest and possibly an anti-inflammatory, but (I hate to say it) you might need to go to a vet to find that out. You could try an ice pack?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2427 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
I have no advice, except watch and wait it out and see how it goes in a day or 2.
BUT, your cat is so beautiful! (And I'm not a cat person ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2016
1827 posts
661 upvotes
When I finally got home last night and inspected his paw, I discovered that the only part that is swelling is the pad of the paw ( palm of your hand). He seems better this morning. I'm glad now that I didn't rush him to the very expensive emergency clinic. I'll monitor him over the next couple of days and take him to the vet if it doesn't improve.

Thanks everyone.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1426 posts
352 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
bewiseman wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 10:58 am
When I finally got home last night and inspected his paw, I discovered that the only part that is swelling is the pad of the paw ( palm of your hand). He seems better this morning. I'm glad now that I didn't rush him to the very expensive emergency clinic.
That's great news! I'm glad he's doing better. You could still try to ice the paw pad if he'll accept it. As soon as he's fine he's going to guilt-out your wife for all it's worth haha.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2016
1827 posts
661 upvotes
TheHans wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 2:59 pm
That's great news! I'm glad he's doing better. You could still try to ice the paw pad if he'll accept it. As soon as he's fine he's going to guilt-out your wife for all it's worth haha.
It's largely his own fault. Smiling Face With Open Mouth He doesn't want to learn that begging for treats and rubbing legs while my wife is carrying an overloaded clothes basket down the stairs, might not be a very smart idea. My wife asked me to carry another basket down stairs this morning, and I almost tripped over him too. Crazy cat!
Sep 16, 2006
664 posts
82 upvotes
Pickering
bewiseman wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 5:47 pm
My dear wife, who is loved dearly by our siamese cat, managed to step on his paw as he was rubbing against her and almost tripping her. The poor cat is now limping and his paw is swollen.

Please, save me the vet bill. My common sense tells me that realistically there is nothing the vet can really do for him other than confirm a hairline crack or sprain in his paw. He seems content and is quietly sleeping on the couch. I think I should just leave him in peace and give him a few days/weeks to recover. Am I wrong?
You really shouldn't have a cat if that's your attitude.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2016
1827 posts
661 upvotes
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 1:52 am
You really shouldn't have a cat if that's your attitude.
Do you go to the doctor every time you get a little strain or discomfort in your body? If you do, then you're a fool and you're raping the health system of resources that can be better spent on others who really need it. In the case of a vet, all costs are paid by the pet owner, therefore there is nothing wrong with thinking first and evaluating before racing to the vet. It turns out that he was fine and has already recovered. I made the right choice thanks to the opinions I received from others.
Sep 16, 2006
664 posts
82 upvotes
Pickering
bewiseman wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 7:23 am
Do you go to the doctor every time you get a little strain or discomfort in your body? If you do, then you're a fool and you're raping the health system of resources that can be better spent on others who really need it. In the case of a vet, all costs are paid by the pet owner, therefore there is nothing wrong with thinking first and evaluating before racing to the vet. It turns out that he was fine and has already recovered. I made the right choice thanks to the opinions I received from others.
If I thought my cat might have a broken foot yes I would go to the vet or at least call her and ask what she thought I should do.
Also it's none of your business why or when I go to the doctor.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1426 posts
352 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
bewiseman wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 7:23 am
It turns out that he was fine and has already recovered. I made the right choice thanks to the opinions I received from others.
I'm glad to hear he's completely fine now. :-)