Off Topic Archive

Locked: Cat scratched my Son and acting weird lately...

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2009 9:06 am
Tags:
None
Nov 1, 2006
41 posts

Cat scratched my Son and acting weird lately...

We've had our female cat for 3 years. We had her since she was 6 weeks old. She's neutered/spayed. Now we are all of a sudden having issues....

Last week she peed in our laundry hamper. Yesterday she peed in our 1 year old baby son's laundry hamper. Today she actually scratched my son, and it was about 1cm away from his eye, so needless today, I'm a little pissed off...

My wife says that the peeing might be because of the fact that I recently brought in my winter tires, and I currently have them in the hallway (we live in a small 2 bedroom condo, so I have no storage locker for tires), and therefore the cat might feel the need to mark it's territory. The hampers are all new, as well.

The other thing I have 'changed' recently is the location of the cat's food. Before we used to have it on the dinning room floor, however since our son is crawling, he would feel the need to go play with the cat food, so we moved it to the laundry room on top of the dryer. THe laundry room however is also where the litter box is at. Could it be that the cat is protesting that the food is now there in close proximity to the litter box?

Either way, the fact that she's more agressive towards my SOn is pissing me off. Today was enough of a close call for my wife to re-consider keeping the cat. We love the cat, however if our Son is at any risk here from the agressive behaviour and almost got scratched in the eye today, then it's nota risk I'm willing to take...

Advice?
Share:
24 replies
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
1566 posts
4 upvotes
R. Hill
Unfortunately, it likely is due to all the changes. We had concerns when our son (11 months old) was born, so we went out of our way to keep changes to a minimum, making changes slowly and by spending more time with her as well. She's taken to our son and will even tolerate him "petting" her, although I keep a very close eye on both of them when they're near each other.

Other than patience, you may want to try corrective measures like spraying her with water when she does something bad.
Banned
Feb 6, 2009
772 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Cat jealous that baby is receiving more attention?
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12205 posts
92 upvotes
yeah move the food away from the litter box.

cats are pretty clean animals, and would protest eating and poo ing so close together.

change everything back.
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
8968 posts
551 upvotes
Cats (like humans) don't like to eat where they do their business. I'd move the food onto a counter or table where the cat can get to it, but the baby cannot.

The cat could just be playing with your baby. Once a cat knows its boundaries, it will stick to it. But accidents will happen. You should invest in one of those dremmel nail trimmers and trim every few days. That'll decrease the odds of an accidental scratch causing damage. Or you can get nail caps. Either way the nails won't be a problem. I would avoid declawing. This could be very traumatic for the cat. Especially since it's 3 years old now.

On the off chance, you may want to check for UTI. It's not deadly for female cats, but it causes behavior like peeing in random places.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1957 upvotes
When the cat was peeing on things, did she make sure you were watching? If so, she is upset and acting out. My cat used to do this to me when I left him alone too long. He'd pee right in the middle of a fresh basket of laundry.

As others have mentioned though, it is likely due to the changes. You should never put food near a litter box. Cats have a very strong sense of smell. If the cat can't or doesn't want to use her litter box (would you set up a toilet in the middle of your kitchen), she is looking for alternatives like the laundry hamper. They like to pee on things that are similar to the material of their litter boxes. I am assuming you have plastic litter boxes and plastic hampers. Going after your son could be jealousy or a way to try to get your attention since the peeing didn't work. Cats are smart animals. Are you sure that your son didn't do anything to her. Toddlers tend to pull tails, poke eyes etc. You need to teach them both how to co-exist. Move the litter box, spend more time with the kitty and teach your son to be gentle with her and they will hopefully become friends. Also make sure the litter box is always clean and that is another reason cats won't use it. If this doesn't work, take her to the vet to see if there is a medical reason for her behaviour change. Peeing on things can be a sign of number of conditions.
Banned
Aug 19, 2005
3661 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Kill it, it has rabies.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
2707 posts
27 upvotes
Kommander_KornFlakes wrote:
Apr 1st, 2009 6:47 pm
Kill it, it has rabies.

I bet you hear that all the time . ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
2233 posts
131 upvotes
GTA
Call a priest, it's possessed!
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28262 posts
802 upvotes
Better get rid of the kid, the cat is jealous. :o
Hail Eris!
Dec 4, 2008
390 posts
5 upvotes
Jimmmmmmmmmmmmboooooooooo
Banned
Feb 6, 2009
772 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Practical cat magazine says you can get the cat to behave by switching the cat's and baby's food for a week.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
2466 posts
134 upvotes
North Etobicoke
hagbard wrote:
Apr 1st, 2009 7:48 pm
Better get rid of the kid, the cat is jealous. :o

My thoughts exactly, as everyone is giving advice about how to make the cat comfortable. 1cm is close, how much more of a risk are you will to take!!! Get rid of your son. :confused:
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
3286 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa
cat scratch fever?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1578 posts
131 upvotes
Hampton
Reminds me of the "House" episode where the woman comes in with the cat allergy and refuses to take medication then asks if he has anything else he can give her, "well I've got a bag.."
× < >