Automotive

Catalytic converter - Dealer's vs Aftermarket?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2008 7:59 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1223 posts
227 upvotes

Catalytic converter - Dealer's vs Aftermarket?

I have a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire, and it failed the emission test. The dealer told me that the problem had been caused by the broken catalytic converter. To repair it at the dealership would cost me about $750 ($550 for the converter, and about 2 hrs of labour).

On the other hand, [rfdlink=1]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] is selling an after-market catalytic converter for my car for about $90. So there is a saving of $460 for the converter alone.

Is the after-market catalytic converter acceptable and it will help me to pass the emission test?
4 replies
Banned
Jul 16, 2008
524 posts
Pickering
There are many aftermarket convertors that cost much less than on from the dealer. Magnaflow has one with reduced back pressure for better performance. When I had to replace one on a V6 Beretta I used to have, I went to Thruway Muffler and saved a bunch of money over the dealer and it worked fine for as long as I had it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15078 posts
743 upvotes
Woodbridge
I didn't needed just inquiring since I upgraded to GReddy EVO2 Cat-Back. I couldn't help LOL when Acura quoted me $1,700+

My boy recommended Magnaflow too.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10908 posts
1323 upvotes
jedi1648 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2008 9:13 pm
...Is the after-market catalytic converter acceptable and it will help me to pass the emission test?...
Yes, if the cat is really what's bad.

A dealer OEM cat costs more because the original factory warranty has to guarantee it will last at least 8 years or 130,000Km (by government law in some areas). BTW, does you car fall into this category because the factory warranty might still be active?

An aftermarket cat only has to last a couple of years and doesn't have to comply with the government emissions warranty laws, so they can build them for a lot cheaper.

You would only install a dealer OEM cat if it was covered under a factory warranty, otherwise you would use the cheaper aftermarket version.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24603 posts
2344 upvotes
Ottawa
jedi1648 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2008 9:13 pm
I have a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire, and it failed the emission test. The dealer told me that the problem had been caused by the broken catalytic converter. To repair it at the dealership would cost me about $750 ($550 for the converter, and about 2 hrs of labour).

On the other hand, Canadian Tire is selling an after-market catalytic converter for my car for about $90. So there is a saving of $460 for the converter alone.

Is the after-market catalytic converter acceptable and it will help me to pass the emission test?
Really? A catalytic converter? I think I would get a second opinion on that. They are extremely reliable and like one of the other posters said, it should be on warranty, unless you are way over the mileage.
There are many reasons for failing the emissions test and the converter, while it could be, is very unlikely to be the problem on a car. These things are trouble free.
× < >