Pets

Cats : Is it true that wet food is better than dry food?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2017 10:46 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36009 posts
2103 upvotes
Toronto

Cats : Is it true that wet food is better than dry food?

RE: CATS!

I've been doing a lot of kitty research b/c I got a cat this summer... Many reports suggest that wet food is better than dry food! MAny suggest that even the WORST wet food is better than the BEST dry food.

Should I switch my cat to an all wet food diet? Those cases of wet food at Walmart aren't too expensive...
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9639 posts
802 upvotes
Yes and no.

Wet food is better than dry food in terms of hydration. Dehydrated cats can lead health issues (like kidney stones)... which could cost more in the long run.

However, it terms of nutrition, high end dry food trumps no name wet cat food that's made from Chinese newspapers and old shoes.

raw > quality wet > quality dry > garbage wet (avoid) > garbage dry (avoid)

If your cat is like mine, I cannot go full wet. So I do a balance of wet and dry.

I would avoid Walmart. Check out catinfo.org. They only recommend wet, but some cats (like mine) just won't eat enough wet food to get enough nutrients. I couldn't find it, but there's an old thread with recommended brands in the Pet forum for cat food. It's a few years old, but the information should still be mostly relevant.
Apr 23, 2008
389 posts
51 upvotes
Kanata
Yup. I had a cat who had diabetes and we switched all our cats to wet. They got much healthier, lost fat, got more energy and a nicer coat. We feed half a can twice a day (one can of 156g) only paté (nothing with cheese or gravy, which is basically carbs and fat) from Friskies or Special Kitty (Walmart brand, 52 cents per can). Cats love them and we feel much better about feeding them food with real protein content and less filler like carbs. Also, I've noticed that most cat rescues now request/require that you use wet food only when you adopt from them. It's part of showing that you care for your cats and will feed them good food.
Nov 17, 2014
372 posts
133 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
The only benefit to dry is it helps clean their teeth.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1614 posts
163 upvotes
i do wet/dry for my cat
but for health reasons, wet is better for cats
they are carnivores by nature
imagine you eating dry food for the rest of your life!!
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
1130 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
Male cats are more susceptible to urinary problems such as crystals building up in the urinary bladder. As their urethra is smaller in diameter than a female cat's it is more difficult to remove them. If the crystals block the opening, the bladder can increase in size and the cat can die unless treated asap. By giving them wet food this puts more water into the urine and the crystals can be moved out faster when they are small. After our cat experienced the crystal blockage and we experienced a very large vet bill we now give him some solid food and also some wet food which we add water to get more water into his system. The cost of wet food is small to the vet bill you could encounter and the possibility of losing your cat.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1388 posts
332 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Nov 21st, 2016 1:29 pm

raw > quality wet > quality dry > garbage wet (avoid) > garbage dry (avoid)
I agree with your scale. I would personally add "grain free" to that. And OP, keep in mind that Wellness (one of the higher end brands) offers coupons for their products. Currently for wet food, buy four cans, get two free. And $5 off (I think it is) on their dry food. You subscribe to their newsletter and you get a coupon every month. You can print up a few at a time. It's not the cheapest food, but keep in mind also that, particularly with grain-free varieties, your cat will eat less of it. So you can't compare just by price point. Grains are like Chinese food to cats LOL. It fills them up, but they're hungry an hour later.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"

Love TV? The Episodium
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
3901 posts
458 upvotes
Just an anecdote, but my cat is 20 years old and we've been feeding her a combination of Friskies Dry and wet food. She has never had any issues.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1614 posts
163 upvotes
Kherani wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 11:47 pm
Just an anecdote, but my cat is 20 years old and we've been feeding her a combination of Friskies Dry and wet food. She has never had any issues.
it's genetics, as with female humans they live very long long lives
purina dry food is junk, bad for cat
Apr 25, 2011
611 posts
208 upvotes
British Columbia
Kherani wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 11:47 pm
I'd say the majority of cats live to their life expectancy no matter the food you feed; it is genetic.

I have fed two of my cats almost exclusively Friskies pate and one lived to almost 18 while the other we do not know the current age of however we hadzard a guess at 20+ years old. She was feral and did not appear young 15 years ago (bad teeth and an unreadable ear tattoo from the start); we joke that she's secretly the Guinness world record holder.

However if a cat is predisposed to health concerns (such as the ones listed above) then feeding wet food can preempt some serious problems.

For that reason, I believe low quality wet food is better than high quality dry food.
Banned
Nov 23, 2016
43 posts
45 upvotes
I'm pretty sure cats just like wet food because it's more similar to meat, and it tastes better, but it's more unhealthy compared to quality dry like Orijen and Acana. I give my cats a mix of both, so my cats can get nutrition from dry and hydration from wet.
Banned
Dec 6, 2016
18 posts
I think that everything depends on a certain type of food, the ones with really good quality don't differ much in such case Electric Light Bulb
Feed me with a kiss...(c)
Jan 4, 2017
8 posts
You can make your own raw food. It's not that expensive either. I make 6 months at a time and freeze it. About 100 dollars to feed both my cats per 6 months.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1260 posts
58 upvotes
I feed my 6 month old kitten Fromms Grain Free dry food M-F and on the weekends i feed him some quality wet food (brand name eludes me). Occasionally i throw in some wet 'filler' to mix with the dry (it's not a pate, it's like chunks of tuna/chicken/salmon/etc that you`re supposed to mix with dry food).
Buy/Sell/Trade with confidence, 50+ positive feedback.