• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2007 1:36 am
Tags:
None
Mar 25, 2005
526 posts
7 upvotes

Caulking In the Cold

Is it OK to put caulking on the inside of my windows in this weather? I have a few spots where I think I may have some air leaks where the window frame meets the wood around it and want to touch this up. Now should I do this now when its cold or do I have to wait till it warms up.

Just to make it clear I will be going this from the inside of the house. I am just worried that the cold air interfering with the drying process.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG
jpc82 wrote: Is it OK to put caulking on the inside of my windows in this weather? I have a few spots where I think I may have some air leaks where the window frame meets the wood around it and want to touch this up. Now should I do this now when its cold or do I have to wait till it warms up.

Just to make it clear I will be going this from the inside of the house. I am just worried that the cold air interfering with the drying process.
If you want to be completely safe, you can use DAP titanium reinforced caulking. It's $6 vs $2-3 for regular caulking. The directions say to apply between -37C and 60C, so I'm pretty sure you'll be within that temperature range.
HGTV Pro
DAP webpage
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2003
1291 posts
10 upvotes
like it was mentioned just get the right caulking. Guys caulk the windows in the cold all the time. The other day someone was caulking the outside windows of a new house I was at in -10c temps.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
Are there any companies that do this ? I need all my windows re-caulked
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
Or just tape it with masking-tape or shrink-film stuff temporarily until the spring? Might just be me, but I hate doing chores outside when it's cold :)

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
4040 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
As you said you are on the inside of your house. It is the inside temp that matters as the caulking will cure from the side exposed to the air which in your case is inside.

Dave
You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life!
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
4040 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote: Are there any companies that do this ? I need all my windows re-caulked
Do not do it now it is too cold. You may get someone to do it if you are paying for it but it will not last. There are a few tricks that caulkers use to get thru the winter. One is to use a picnic chest with 400 watt lights in it. Keeps the product soft enough to apply and if it freezes too fast you put the tube back in the case and start another one and keep switching till the tube is empty. Problem is you just applied a thin bead to an ice cold surface and freezing air all around it. I think you get the point.

Dave
You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something sometime in your life!
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
Rembrandt100 wrote: Do not do it now it is too cold. You may get someone to do it if you are paying for it but it will not last. There are a few tricks that caulkers use to get thru the winter. One is to use a picnic chest with 400 watt lights in it. Keeps the product soft enough to apply and if it freezes too fast you put the tube back in the case and start another one and keep switching till the tube is empty. Problem is you just applied a thin bead to an ice cold surface and freezing air all around it. I think you get the point.

Dave
I have no problem waitng until spring...justed wanted to know of companies that do this.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
4040 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
Yes there are many of them. It is all they do. I just looked in North York yellow pages and there are 8 contractors listed in 416 and 905 areas

Dave