• Mar 26th, 2017 10:37 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
7941 posts
1610 upvotes
Toronto

CBC 'Anne' (of Green Gables reboot) March 19 2017

Apparently another adaptation was made recently airing on YTV last year with a follow up that aired last month on YTV

Now CBC has yet another version debuting tonight (and on Netflix in May)

http://www.cbc.ca/anne/videos/season-1/ ... s-too-much

I liked the Megan Follows version but it's about thirty years old
5 replies
Sep 30, 2001
26011 posts
5130 upvotes
The original was just fine, but I'll give this a watch
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
22001 posts
4456 upvotes
GTHA
jenviea wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 6:11 pm
Apparently another adaptation was made recently airing on YTV last year with a follow up that aired last month on YTV

Now CBC has yet another version debuting tonight (and on Netflix in May)
This version is a darker take on this classic...

The showrunner and co-writer Moira Walley-Beckett, who won an Emmy for writing Breaking Bad's legendary "Ozymandias" episode, has promised a grittier take on Green Gables than its predecessor. "This is a very grounded, real version of the story. Life in Prince Edward Island in the late 1800s was a hard, gritty, scrappy life. It was messy, it was covered in red mud," she told the CBC. "It's not doilies and teacups, it's life."
from http://www.tvguide.com/news/anne-of-gre ... t-netflix/
Mar 15, 2017
10 posts
2 upvotes
Watched it, it was amazing. The take on Anne's character was very respectful to the book version. The darker take only refers to the flash backs to her very hard past, which is actually hinted to in the book and makes her more real. Therefore when you see the sweetness, optimism, and deep longing of Anne for a home in light of her hard upbringing, it makes it that much more impactful. In a way, you get to know Anne better. Loved the actress playing Anne, very talented and expressive. Some of the feminist theme in this episode was a little too in the face, but other than that, can't wait for next week's.

Next week's episode seems to go off script compared to the book, but I'm interested to see their take on it!
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
12227 posts
7313 upvotes
Toronto
FYI - if you missed episode 1 and can't wait for Netflix, the CBC app is Chromecast compatible. They have the first Anne on there plus a bunch of other great shows (Marketplace, Fifth Estate, etc)
Grandma was slow but she was old.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
7941 posts
1610 upvotes
Toronto
sprung wrote:
Mar 26th, 2017 10:02 am
FYI - if you missed episode 1 and can't wait for Netflix, the CBC app is Chromecast compatible. They have the first Anne on there plus a bunch of other great shows (Marketplace, Fifth Estate, etc)
CBC is also re-airing the premiere today at 5 pm EST with a new episode tonight at 8 pm EST

I was surprised how much I remembered of the 80s version as many story points of the new version seemed familiar to me having never read the book.
I think barn boy is a new character and I thought his line 'What's your problem?' was too contemporary for the time period.
As mentioned above it is darker with scenes of abuse which is probably an unfortunate reality for foster kids/orphans now and especially then
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel