Food & Drink

CBC Marketplace had chicken from 5 major fast food chains tested, Subway sandwiches could contain just 50% chicken (upd)

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2017 11:18 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
23345 posts
4885 upvotes
GTHA

CBC Marketplace had chicken from 5 major fast food chains tested, Subway sandwiches could contain just 50% chicken (upd)

Subway defends its chicken after CBC Marketplace report
Sandwich chain calls story 'false and misleading,' but CBC stands behind DNA test results
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/subway- ... -1.4005268

If you do not want to watch the video...
What's in your chicken sandwich? DNA test shows Subway sandwiches could contain just 50% chicken
Marketplace had chicken from 5 major fast food restaurants tested
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/marketp ... -1.3993967

Fast food chicken: Testing Subway, McDonald's, A&W, Wendy's & Tim Hortons (CBC Marketplace)

How to make fast-food chicken strips: What's really in them (CBC Marketplace)
Last edited by tk1000 on Feb 24th, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
122 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10534 posts
1383 upvotes
City of Vancouver
"Sodium phosphate is used in all the samples except Wendy's"

Marketplace said that sodium phosphate could be the next "transfats" because there aren't long term studies on how it impacts people.
Nov 10, 2015
794 posts
172 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I saw this last night. It was interesting and they eventually picked out the worst of the bunch, but all of sudden their thirty minutes were up and the show ended.
Hey, how about telling us about the best of the bunch? And the additives in it?
They left us hanging.
Anyone But Justin 2019
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1178 posts
392 upvotes
are you all really going to trust a 'nutritionist' that doesn't even look fit?
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13767 posts
2324 upvotes
Toronto
These types of studies are pretty pointless. Obviously fast food is not healthy. People know it. You can't compare fresh food to frozen processed food at Fast Food places.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
3842 posts
1107 upvotes
High River, AB
I always enjoy when subways reputation for being healthy is disproven.
Feb 10, 2017
77 posts
9 upvotes
Subway got away with this for so long. None of the other chains even dared to do this to this extent
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3430 posts
155 upvotes
I had Subway for the first time in years this week and when I ate the chicken it just tasted like a slice of bread...it's gross. I wish Harvey's was included in their list.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6771 posts
1355 upvotes
quizno's must be using the same crap subway does. tried a "chicken" sandwich there for the first time in ages and it definitely had a significant amount of soy...a texture-less, flavourless mess.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13767 posts
2324 upvotes
Toronto
Ya Subway has got away with the whole healthier option for years now. Bread, veggies and fake meat is not healthy especially with all the dressings.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3250 posts
971 upvotes
About 18 months ago:

Processed meat can cause colon cancer, World Health Organization says
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/meat-canc ... -1.3288355

I think that put a dent in Subway's business because it is essentially carcinogen-based. (A month after the WHO report Jared Fogle was sentenced.) It's just been a rough time for this company.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10652 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Shimso wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 3:54 pm
I wish Harvey's was included in their list.
Yes that would have been good, and compare it to the chicken burger @ Swiss Chalet. Same company, but are they the same burger, and what are we really getting?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2265 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
Shimso wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 3:54 pm
I had Subway for the first time in years this week and when I ate the chicken it just tasted like a slice of bread...it's gross. I wish Harvey's was included in their list.
Harvey's chicken burger ingredients- Grilled chicken ingredients.
Chicken, water, soy protein, salt, flavour (contains modified corn starch, soy sauce powder, gelatine), spice, sodium phosphate, maltodextrin, onion powder, smoke flavour (contains maltodextrin, modified corn starch), garlic powder, autolyzed yeast.

Gross!!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3250 posts
971 upvotes
Look at it this way:

Chicken,
soy protein, soy sauce powder, autolyzed yeast - all umami/savoury flavour boosters; reads better than "MSG"
salt, spice, onion powder, smoke flavour, garlic powder, maltodextrin - all your seasonings; the last one is just sugar
modified corn starch, gelatine - for texture/mouthfeel, to help the seasonings stick, etc. "modified" just means it is instant gelling at room temps
water, sodium phosphate - an additive that holds water in the meat and the water you want to hold in