Food & Drink

CBC Marketplace had chicken from 5 major fast food chains tested, Subway sandwiches could contain just 50% chicken (upd)

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2017 11:18 am
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9757 posts
846 upvotes
Jaytee wrote:
Feb 26th, 2017 10:05 am
I never thought the oven chicken roasted chicken was high quality but that's brutal. Most of their other meats are sliced processed deli meats which are also bad.

Ugh, I have a Subway across the street, this sucks.
Yeah I can't stand their cold cuts. Something about their cold cut combo.... to me it tastes vile. Their bacon looks almost see through. And who knows if there is any actual meat in in their meatballs. Marketplace needs to do that DNA test on all their meats. Subway used to be so great back when the subs were cut in that "V" pattern.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4752 posts
1545 upvotes
Siefer999 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 9:50 am
I don't frequently go to subway but I might if I'm in the mood for a sub. I never ordered that kind of chicken sub because you can tell visually that it is a disgusting piece of meat whenever they pick it up to throw into the microwave
When I go to Subway (which is like once a month), I get the cold cut combo. I know it's bad for me, but unless I eat it 2 or 3 times a week, who cares? I'm sure I'll die from biking downtown before the cold cuts.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3825 posts
465 upvotes
Aurora
Counter argument here. Well, when at just about any fast food place the choices are "pretty bad", "bad" and "very bad". Fact is, if I find myself at Subways, McD's, BK, etc, I've already accepted this and am not going to worry about % chicken, calories, salt content, or whatever. Must be why I rarely eat at these places. If nutritional value is a concern (and they certainly are to me), then I cook it at home as the chef did in the video. If I eat fast food, ignorance is bliss.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3366 posts
1318 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 1:22 pm
Yeah I can't stand their cold cuts. Something about their cold cut combo.... to me it tastes vile. Their bacon looks almost see through. And who knows if there is any actual meat in in their meatballs. Marketplace needs to do that DNA test on all their meats. Subway used to be so great back when the subs were cut in that "V" pattern.
They were so superior then (and I really preferred that cut - why the heck change it when it held the toppings so well).
Feb 22, 2016
742 posts
368 upvotes
And now Subway decides to use the Trump/GOP strategy - try to blame/discredit the messenger:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... is-chicken
Unfortunately for Subway this isn't "Muricuh" and we don't fall for those tactics (as easily?)

As an aside, I'm kinda disappointed the other 50% wasn't PORK....
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Mar 3rd, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11052 posts
1496 upvotes
Toronto
Toronto star is not helping any. I...think...I'll just...steer clear of Subway sub all together now...THANKS!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25631 posts
5810 upvotes
GTHA
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 1:16 am
And now Subway decides to use the Trump/GOP strategy - try to blame/discredit the messenger:

https://www.thestar.com/business/2017/0 ... -meat.html

Unfortunately for Subway this isn't "Muricuh" and we don't fall for those tactics (as easily?)

Updated opening post with CBC News version of this.
Feb 22, 2016
742 posts
368 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 2:57 am
Toronto star is not helping any. I...think...I'll just...steer clear of Subway sub all together now...THANKS!
The Star was just reprinting a Washington Post article, I edited my post to link back to the original.

But I agree, the Post (and the Star) aren't doing Subway any favours. Subway needs to fix the chicken, then ask CBC to retest the improved product and post the new result. Not try the Trump strategy.
If Domino's can come out, admit their pizza was crap, fix it, and successfully use that for an ad campaign, so can Subway.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4683 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, the same company that had a fake "whole grain" bread option. Why should we believe Subway of anything?
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Aug 22, 2014
898 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto, ON
No Frills wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 12:35 pm
Yeah, the same company that had a fake "whole grain" bread option. Why should we believe Subway of anything?
True, but then again CBC had a flawed Marketplace lab result regarding supplements last year. Now I don't know who to believe. Confused Face
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10910 posts
1484 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Look on the bright side, the meat wasn't adulterated with horse meat.
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
...As an aside, I'm kinda disappointed the other 50% wasn't PORK....
I'm sure some people of certain religions would not agree.
Sep 11, 2012
26 posts
18 upvotes
I mean, 1. Why would I be inclined to believe Subway's report v. the CBC report? As far as I can tell, the CBC doesn't benefit at all by publishing this information about Subway. Moreover, Subway was an obvious outlier in the group, which makes the test more credible to me; and 2. Anyone who has seen or tasted the chicken at Subway should find the CBC's report plausible. It doesn't taste like chicken.

One thing I don't see in the report that I would've liked to have seen was a 'control' sample what was actually a chicken breast - but that's hardly necessary for the purposes of a tv show.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3817 posts
1083 upvotes
Calgary
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... is-chicken

Why does Subway need a study? Just show a video of the chicken being cut and put in a sandwich, if it was chicken.

Shouldn't need to attempt to prove, if it was actual chicken.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)