Food & Drink

CBC Marketplace had chicken from 5 major fast food chains tested, Subway sandwiches could contain just 50% chicken (upd)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2017 2:57 am
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12285 posts
323 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 1:16 am
And now Subway decides to use the Trump/GOP strategy - try to blame/discredit the messenger:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... is-chicken
Unfortunately for Subway this isn't "Muricuh" and we don't fall for those tactics (as easily?)

As an aside, I'm kinda disappointed the other 50% wasn't PORK....
Now I'm conflicted as I know Maxxam to be a credible 3rd party analysis company that is used by various government agencies, restaurants and companies in food industry
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Jun 21, 2016
756 posts
258 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 5:38 pm
It actually is all over the news. People drop dead from it all the time.
you mean the people who smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, get cancer and then blame it on the subway sandwich they had 10 years ago? lol
Nov 25, 2007
675 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
So weird that I never thought the chicken I ate at these fast food places wasn't 100% chicken. They always advertise their burgers as 100% beef but say nothing about their chicken.. I should have made the connection
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1093 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
So this basically amounts to suing the Canadian public since we fund them lol.
Sep 1, 2013
343 posts
80 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah, it won't hurt CBC if Subway wins, it will only hurt the taxpayers who'll end up with the bill.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6143 posts
440 upvotes
TM2Megatron wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 10:40 pm
Yeah, it won't hurt CBC if Subway wins, it will only hurt the taxpayers who'll end up with the bill.
They cant win what they cant disprove. If they come out with paperwork and some random "testing" of their own, it will amount to nothing if the CBC's data is proper. They'll have to conclusively show that CBC made a mistake, somewhere, somehow.

Not only that, but CBC's report was carefully worded. "may contain" etc and that alone can be enough to make it stand on its own, since the content of the chicken product could differ from place to place. Basically CBC never saying ALL subway chicken is fake, which is what Subway is trying to allude to, and why they havent filed yet. Its a scare tactic to save face.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7321 posts
326 upvotes
Vancouver
They haven't filed to actually sue. The only action subway has taken is basically one step before filing a suit. Or something like that. I don't know all the technical terms.

So they waiting to see how CBC reacts to the first step.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
17206 posts
3032 upvotes
Toronto
subway should do their own testing first from their supplier's sample (if sourced from single supplier or multiple suppliers network) and see if it is indeed the case or not before fire off their mouth and threaten to sue.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9442 posts
704 upvotes
In the article:
“We have issued a notice of action in Canada against the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation that asks for $210 million in damages over allegations made by its program, Marketplace, that are defamatory and absolutely false,” said Subway.

“Despite our efforts to share the facts with the CBC about the high quality of our chicken and to express our strong objections to their inaccurate claims, they have not issued a retraction, as we requested. Serving high-quality food to our customers is our top priority, and we are committed to seeing that this factually incorrect report is corrected.”
Does this mean we can sue Subway for false claims?
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10295 posts
506 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 8:10 am
subway should do their own testing first from their supplier's sample (if sourced from single supplier or multiple suppliers network) and see if it is indeed the case or not before fire off their mouth and threaten to sue.
I would think they wouldn't go this far if they didn't already do that. Either way, Subway will find someone to blame. It's either CBC and Trent University (if its found out that the testing was imperfect) or eventually the supplier for providing food that they didn't request.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
6241 posts
160 upvotes
What sad about Subway is that CBC makes retractions all the time if they find out they made a mistake.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/blog/we-g ... t-happened

For example.

Threatening CBC just makes them look like a bunch of clowns. And this is not the first time subway got caught with their marketing scams.

Jared pedofogle. Just look at how fake it is.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3029 posts
914 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
lol it's in the NY Post, but this bit is notable:
Grewal added that Subway’s poultry supplier in Ottawa, Grand River Foods, also supplies Wendy’s and Tim Horton’s, raising doubts about the differing levels of chicken DNA found in CBC’s report.
http://nypost.com/2017/03/16/subway-sue ... legations/
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
17789 posts
4457 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 1:54 pm
Grewal added that Subway’s poultry supplier in Ottawa, Grand River Foods, also supplies Wendy’s and Tim Horton’s, raising doubts about the differing levels of chicken DNA found in CBC’s report.
That doesn't mean squat.
The customer dictates what quality of meat they want (or at least that's how it SHOULD work)
Then again... judging by the quality of Tim's chicken, maybe they do supply junk.
Either that or Tim's and Subway both order garbage.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel