Food & Drink

CBC Marketplace had chicken from 5 major fast food chains tested, Subway sandwiches could contain just 50% chicken (upd)

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2017 11:18 am
Dec 28, 2004
740 posts
154 upvotes
I wish they did comprehensive tests on fast food chains i.e. comparing the american vs canadian as i know for sure we are screwed here for same products not only in cost but quantity and ingredients as we don't have the lobbyist and consumer protection groups and laws like US has even though they don't mean that much in whole scheme of things but still would be interesting to see the big business being shamed in public for their various business practices when compared worldwide to how they do things differently in every country to make money
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18579 posts
3946 upvotes
Toronto
Panera bread restaurant - chicken Angry Face is so bad and inedible

I went there for a quick lunch today and ordered their BBQ grilled chicken flatbread, the few pieces of chicken in the sandwich was so tough, rubbery and chewy that I could not even eat them at all. I voiced my concern to the kitchen servers there and all they have to say to me was they changed supplier in the last few weeks and they are aware they have issue from some customers as well and yet they made no apology for their bad food. Very disappointed.

I have been a regular customer for the past 6+ yrs and I will not be going back there at all. CBC should also do a testing on the panera bread's chicken too and see if they are come from the same supplier as Subway. LOL.
Dec 28, 2004
740 posts
154 upvotes
soy should be outlawed as criminal/treason charges along with any fake meat fillers if advertised as chicken, beef, pork or fish products :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4661 upvotes
Interesting.

I did notice ads for Subway stating 100% chicken recently but didn't think they'd go through with a lawsuit.
I hope someone somewhere retained some samples from before this happened as a reference point.

Not that I think Subway could instantly change production if they were guilty.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
18579 posts
3946 upvotes
Toronto
I think Subway can switch supplier within days from the news report. I doubt It is not hard to do.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3361 posts
1308 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
booblehead wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 8:51 am
I think Subway can switch supplier within days from the news report. I doubt It is not hard to do.
They could also ask for a better grade of product too. Easily.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7260 posts
2285 upvotes
ON
booblehead wrote:
I hope the lab kept the remainder of the sample frozen and it is verified by a third party to be the same/similar result as the first. That would be beautiful.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4661 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
I wonder if it actually is that easy.
I mean... if it was a smaller shop? Sure. Suppliers have a ton of chicken.
But to convert a national chain overnight? That seems a bit harder.

Then again... I have no idea how much chicken Subway actually goes through.
It's not like they're KFC where they exclusively deal in chicken.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
3997 posts
308 upvotes
Even before CBC ever ran this story, I have on many occasions mentioned to my friends that Subway's chicken was "rubbery" & "off". I did not make the same comments about other chain's chickens, so it wasn't like I had a bias against chains or anything. I was not surprised at all that Subway scored so much lower than other chains for the amount of chicken DNA in their chicken.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12330 posts
353 upvotes
Maybe a group of franchisees banded together and decided to skip buying chicken from subway directly due to price gouging from subway corp and found an alternative source for chicken; One that was cheaper and appears similar. Franchisees aren't happy with the pricing of the ingredients. Franchisees aren't happy in general with the company with their lack of innovation and a pedophile spokesman. Why buy produce from their contracted supplier when they can buy it from a regular grocery store for 5-10% cheaper or on sale for 10-20% cheaper??? Even though they have a low startup fee, their 8% franchise fee is among the highest in the QSR industry. Their total revenue growth over the years was from opening additional stores, not growing sales in individual stores. You would expect your business to grow at least 2-4% each year but franchisees have been seeing year over year decline in sales at stores for a while now so they have been getting creative and ways to save money.

Then again, their chicken really is and always was garbage though. Even if it were 100% chicken, it is a poor quality chicken product and shouldn't be fit for human consumption. It always looked like a soggy sponge with fake grill marks.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10904 posts
1484 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Today's episode (Thursday) of Dr. Oz discusses fast food chicken and refers to the CBC Marketplace report. There is a Subway rep on the Dr Oz set defending Subway. The Dr. Oz show did their own independent tests on US fast food chicken and found no soy. Said that CBC Marketplace also admitted that DNA testing doesn't give percentages.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
3863 posts
44 upvotes
Siefer999 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 6:19 pm
Maybe a group of franchisees banded together and decided to skip buying chicken from subway directly due to price gouging from subway corp and found an alternative source for chicken; One that was cheaper and appears similar.
I am not too familiar with franchises, but I imagine "headquarters" keeps track of performance. So if your store is doing well in terms of selling chicken sandwiches but you are buying close to no chicken, surely you'll show up as an outlier on a report somewhere, no?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
A woman at the grocery store commented quite loudly that Marketplace needed to do a segment on the quality (or lack thereof) of the store's antibiotic free chicken. She was quite correct - it was grey and dated best before a date a week or more ahead.

Just once I bought the product, a few years ago. Never again.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
3863 posts
44 upvotes
Blanche123 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 3:36 pm
A woman at the grocery store commented quite loudly that Marketplace needed to do a segment on the quality (or lack thereof) of the store's antibiotic free chicken. She was quite correct - it was grey and dated best before a date a week or more ahead.

Just once I bought the product, a few years ago. Never again.
Which store and brand was this?