Entertainment

CTV Sci Fi/Paramount+ Star Trek: Picard - TNG send off Feb 16 2023 - series finale Apr 20 2023

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2023 7:35 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12700 posts
15951 upvotes
jenviea wrote: Seminal Trek writer DC Fontana has passed away

https://ca.startrek.com/news/dc-fontana-1939-2019
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/star-t ... 203422727/

Having co-written the TNG pilot pity she didn't get to see the new Picard show (OTOH perhaps she wouldn't care?)
Interestingly, the actor who played Charlie X on DC Fontana's first episode on Star Trek died three days after she did. Robert Walker, Jr died Dec. 5.
Have a nice day!

Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
wow that was awesome! super excited for the rest of the series to play out.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13165 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
Great start to the new series. I like how it only introduces us to a few new characters so we don't get overwhelmed.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10121 posts
10230 upvotes
I haven't been this excited for a show in a long time where I actually watch it on tv at its scheduled time instead of streaming a day or so later
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10121 posts
10230 upvotes
Okay just finished episode 1..now MORE MORE MORE..NOW NOW NOW
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10165 posts
8292 upvotes
Toronto
It was a decent start to the series.
Not quite the jolt I'm used to from Earl Grey.
Must be decaffeinated.

With s2 renewed, my fingers are crossed for de-aged full enterprise crew flashbacks (tied in to s2 arc).
How expensive would it be for something like that?
Such is my hope. Would love to see y'olde gang on a mission using today's standards of tech.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
Premiere was fantastic, take my $ now and let me binge the rest.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
2095 posts
1083 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Okay it was a good start. Def in for the ride. I liked that subtle hint when Picard put down his poker hand.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
Taking bets on who the real villains are.... Who turned the synth ? Sleeper Borg tactic ?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12013 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
not bad. but I wager all who saw it felt the same thing. Everything that connected to the past was above par, excellent job. Special effects excellent job. Script very good so far. Picard maybe was better written and acted than what he had done previous. Example Picard bashing star fleet was brilliant. Mining the borg cube was an awesome idea. Totally reminded of the planet :NoWhere" from Guadians of the galaxy which was actually the giant head of ancient long dead celestial life form that people mined for minerals.

So whats potentially bad??

I'm afraid none pre-existing characters are the potential weak points. Their needed for the action scenes of course but the girl I was only ....eeeehhhh about. So I hope they casted well because thats like asking an unknown musican to perform their own song after the stones just sang "start me up"!
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
768 upvotes
Finally - the return of true Star Trek!

Not the ADD millennial bullshit they've been trying to pass off under the brand name for the past decade. This is proper storytelling with proper characters. Instead of dreading it, I can now not wait till next week.

Bravo!
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2017
1343 posts
324 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
I enjoyed the first episode, it left me intrigued wanting more. Does anyone else think that Bruce Maddox might be working for the Romulans since he is "missing"?
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10165 posts
8292 upvotes
Toronto
brandonly wrote: I enjoyed the first episode, it left me intrigued wanting more. Does anyone else think that Bruce Maddox might be working for the Romulans since he is "missing"?
For those who may have forgotten, Bruce Maddox was the guy from the federation who wanted to take Data apart in the famous trial episode.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10165 posts
8292 upvotes
Toronto
Episode spoilers .. ...

coilz wrote: Taking bets on who the real villains are.... Who turned the synth ? Sleeper Borg tactic ?
My bet would be towards people within federation who were unwilling to accept Romulans as anything other than "the enemy". This would mesh with the series being relevant to modern times. Hard to say about Borg - Isn't the gist at the end that it is Borg tech that is being deployed to give Romulans a new square world?
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10745 posts
7903 upvotes
Global Village
brandonly wrote: I enjoyed the first episode, it left me intrigued wanting more. Does anyone else think that Bruce Maddox might be working for the Romulans since he is "missing"?
Nope, after the attack the remaining Romulans would only want to eliminate that tech.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12013 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
coilz wrote: Taking bets on who the real villains are.... Who turned the synth ? Sleeper Borg tactic ?
well I.m no Sheldon Cooper so I don't know what language was what. But weren't the "ninjas" or whatever those bad guys were speaking Romulian?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2004
5450 posts
2433 upvotes
lead wrote: well I.m no Sheldon Cooper so I don't know what language was what. But weren't the "ninjas" or whatever those bad guys were speaking Romulian?
The romulan being bad guys is too obvious, I just hope it's not section 31 like discovery
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17424 posts
12773 upvotes
Toronto
coilz wrote: The romulan being bad guys is too obvious, I just hope it's not section 31 like discovery
You mean who's pulling strings, 'cause the henchmen that attacked Dahj and her boyfriend then later Dahj and Picard were unambiguously Romulan
I see a lot of love for Picard's housemates on the net
A lot of shows would reveal they're working for the bad guys
I don't even like the idea of Section 31 but it's canon now

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)