Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canada Computers

Seagate 4TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive - $134.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2014 2:48 pm
Sep 20, 2010
252 posts
155 upvotes

[Canada Computers] Seagate 4TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive - $134.99

Seagate 4TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive - $134.99

Pretty decent price for a lot of space.
Pricematch FS/BB
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sea ... 44230.aspx
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 44230.aspx
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2236 posts
569 upvotes
Kelowna
hmmm... 1 year warranty. Could be a reason to avoid
Sep 27, 2014
397 posts
237 upvotes
Langley, BC
PM to BB / FS to get another 10%, that'll be a descent sale. thanks, op.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11723 posts
4919 upvotes
St-Fabien de Panet, …
BsxQ001 wrote: PM to BB / FS to get another 10%, that'll be a decent sale. thanks, op.
10% of the price difference, which is about $1.50
Aug 11, 2007
300 posts
44 upvotes
Sinyk wrote: hmmm... 1 year warranty. Could be a reason to avoid
That's not the only reason to avoid. Seagate is pretty much the least reliable drive. Better to choose Western Digital. Better Still to choose Hitachi.

If you Search the threads, lots of RFD experiences confirm this.

If you want a recent read on the reliability of Hard Drives, look at this:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/19 ... 0253547A5C
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
I bought this drive for $89 PMed with FS when the other similar drive from seagate was on sale on amazon and have been using it for close to a year now, and have two of it's 3 tb siblings going on 2 years and all are functioning just fine. In that time I have had a 2tb wd green drive fail on me. I don't think the segates are better but in my experience all drives brands have just about the same reliability, that is to say I wouldn't totally rely on any of them. As for the warranties, at cheaper hd prices I question if it even makes sense to pay to return a defective drive anyway.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
1426 posts
139 upvotes
Sinyk wrote: hmmm... 1 year warranty. Could be a reason to avoid
Or purchase the optional additional (2) or (3) year warranty. My storage needs have completely changed and I have been purchasing smaller more portable drives such as the my Passport Ultra’s which still carry a (3) year warranty.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3379 posts
710 upvotes
North Etobicoke
Moe Hunter wrote: Or purchase the optional additional (2) or (3) year warranty. My storage needs have completely changed and I have been purchasing smaller more portable drives such as the my Passport Ultra’s which still carry a (3) year warranty.
I don't they really care about the warranty time, it's more about the lost files.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2012
1318 posts
727 upvotes
EDMONTON
Streamrider wrote: That's not the only reason to avoid. Seagate is pretty much the least reliable drive. Better to choose Western Digital. Better Still to choose Hitachi.

WD & Seagate are owned by the same company and mostly likely share common components so I don't think WD is any more reliable than Seagate.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
1426 posts
139 upvotes
Check the individual manufactures failure rate per 1,000.

Retailers drive ratings are all suspicious, logically better built drives with longer warranties should have a lower failure rate.
We each have our sad stories of failure, Hitachi Desk-star or as I called them Death-stars as I personally had a 100% failure rate of all units, maybe they have recovered and are now building a more reliable unit in 2014-2015?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
I find many of these failure rate statistics suspicious.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Aug 8, 2008
414 posts
105 upvotes
Mississauga
I prefer Seagate over WD since there's no hardware encryption on the drive in case anything goes wrong with the housing.

Also, look into the Backup Plus over the Expansion series.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1119 posts
474 upvotes
I have 2 of these HDD's fail on me. Will not be buying seagate ever again.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11723 posts
4919 upvotes
St-Fabien de Panet, …
The major reason why these external drives fail is overheating, plastic does not dissipate heat. I bought a 3TB Seagate Backup Plus last year, removed the drive and installed it into an Aluminum Vantec HDD enclosure which also has an 80mm cooling fan.
Jun 26, 2009
813 posts
387 upvotes
Calgary
Streamrider wrote: That's not the only reason to avoid. Seagate is pretty much the least reliable drive. Better to choose Western Digital. Better Still to choose Hitachi.

never had a seagate drive fail. on the other hand had a faulty western digital drive. i've 3 WD drives. and about 6 Seagate (internal and external both). Seagate never failed for me. So i guess it's based on a bigger statistics that you're saying that seagate fails.
Jun 26, 2009
813 posts
387 upvotes
Calgary
bug wrote: The major reason why these external drives fail is overheating, plastic does not dissipate heat. I bought a 3TB Seagate Backup Plus last year, removed the drive and installed it into an Aluminum Vantec HDD enclosure which also has an 80mm cooling fan.
what would you say if i was only buying it to take out the drive and put it in my well ventilated desktop case? I suppose it would work just as good as a more-expensive internal HDD?
Dec 10, 2007
323 posts
42 upvotes
toronto
tabishz wrote: what would you say if i was only buying it to take out the drive and put it in my well ventilated desktop case? I suppose it would work just as good as a more-expensive internal HDD?
Imho it will probably help mitigate some chance of failure but no matter the brand there's always failure, given the mixed responses in this and other threads of people saying x brand never failed on me while y brand 100% died and vice versa.

Not sure how accurate/what brands they using but the logic here makes sense to me in terms of hard drives in general, regardless of brand.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-long ... ives-last/

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)