• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2020 6:02 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2005
1393 posts
67 upvotes
London
Feedback.

Spent the weekend getting to know this. Conclusion? It's pretty good for size and price but I think I might be happier with the Zotac on sale for $190 and running a true XBMC box.

Most of the apps are begging for touchscreen control. Virtually useless out of the box with just the included remote for I/O. I spent a lot of time trying to use a N5901 with it and it was frustrating. Much MUCH better with a N5902 but still not perfect.

On the upside, everything I threw at it (except DVD ISOs> played fine and smoothly in the basic Movie Player.

Downsides, no standby on ICS. LOOOONNNG boot. No DD/DTS pass through. Wonky mouse control with most apps and bad libraries with most players. I expect things will improve over time, but I don't want to waste my time hunting for updates and reconfiguring this over time.

So $120 for the Xios, $70 for the hard drive, $20 for 32G mSD, $40 for the Lenovo remote. For that kind of money, shoulda gone XBMC.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
milhouse6 wrote: Feedback.

Spent the weekend getting to know this. Conclusion? It's pretty good for size and price but I think I might be happier with the Zotac on sale for $190 and running a true XBMC box.

Most of the apps are begging for touchscreen control. Virtually useless out of the box with just the included remote for I/O. I spent a lot of time trying to use a N5901 with it and it was frustrating. Much MUCH better with a N5902 but still not perfect.

On the upside, everything I threw at it (except DVD ISOs> played fine and smoothly in the basic Movie Player.

Downsides, no standby on ICS. LOOOONNNG boot. No DD/DTS pass through. Wonky mouse control with most apps and bad libraries with most players. I expect things will improve over time, but I don't want to waste my time hunting for updates and reconfiguring this over time.

So $120 for the Xios, $70 for the hard drive, $20 for 32G mSD, $40 for the Lenovo remote. For that kind of money, shoulda gone XBMC.
Thanks for the feedback,
Couple of notes:
- I have been using N5901 with the XIOS out of the box, drag and drop for swiping and click for touch, what was you problem with it ?
- There are many tricks to speed up boot time, move as many apps as possible from main to secondary storage. Uninstall anything that you are not using, install setCPU and set the power profile to "performance".
- There should be a motion based remote from Pivos hitting the shelves any time now, I think including a no frills remote and leaving us with the freedom of choice is better than jacking up the price by $20 and include it in the box.
- It gets as good as the apps you put on it (just like any other android based box out there), for example installing Plex gets a very powerful jukebox experience .. etc.

Here is what the XIOS hardware can do ... (skip to 7:00) ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
1291 posts
423 upvotes
Calgary
how much powerful this box cpu compare to allwinner A10?
Jan 3, 2004
143 posts
21 upvotes
aasorer, I'm not having any luck upgrading to ICS... when I try holding down the button (next to the power connector - I couldn't see any other button on the unit?) and plugging the power in, the front panel lights up for a moment then the unit just shuts off. Any suggestions?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4505 posts
2546 upvotes
Thornhill
aasoror wrote: Here is what the XIOS hardware can do ... (skip to 7:00) ;)
So is it official that XBMC is coming to XIOS?

Will it be an alternative firmware for XIOS DS or will it be sold as a separate model XIOS XS?
Jul 22, 2008
110 posts
23 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Here is what the XIOS hardware can do ... (skip to 7:00) ;)
Is XBMC available publicly for the XIOS? Makes this a serious alternative to hacked AppleTV2. If XBMC is out there for it, I am ready to buy!
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
ykhehra1 wrote: how much powerful this box cpu compare to allwinner A10?
Its comparable, cortex A9 running at 850 mhz with a mali400 GPU.
sbermunk wrote: aasorer, I'm not having any luck upgrading to ICS... when I try holding down the button (next to the power connector - I couldn't see any other button on the unit?) and plugging the power in, the front panel lights up for a moment then the unit just shuts off. Any suggestions?
The button isn't actually a button, its a hole accessible with a pin ;)
[IMG]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2227/xiosds017.th.jpg[/IMG]
nosnoop wrote: So is it official that XBMC is coming to XIOS?
Yup it is indeed official.
nosnoop wrote: Will it be an alternative firmware for XIOS DS or will it be sold as a separate model XIOS XS?
Thats whats being investigated at Pivos right now, even if the XIOS-XS is offered separately the XIOS-DS owners won't be left out in the cold.
jpleau wrote: Is XBMC available publicly for the XIOS? Makes this a serious alternative to hacked AppleTV2. If XBMC is out there for it, I am ready to buy!
Not publicly available yet, but its being actively developed (officially).
Aug 4, 2006
207 posts
107 upvotes
Burnaby
Aasoror
Are you telling us that they are going to port an open source app to android? Correct me if I am wrong. Does that mean I can get xbmc in my tablet?

I will buy their product just to support their effort!
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Cheezer88 wrote: Aasoror
Are you telling us that they are going to port an open source app to android? Correct me if I am wrong. Does that mean I can get xbmc in my tablet?
I wish that was the case, unfortunately its the other way around if you can't get XBMC on the Android then get Linux on the hardware ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2005
1393 posts
67 upvotes
London
aasoror wrote: Thanks for the feedback,
Couple of notes:
- I have been using N5901 with the XIOS out of the box, drag and drop for swiping and click for touch, what was you problem with it ?

Thanks for your responses.

Scrolling vertical content is cumbersome with the N5901. Counter intuitive to click and hold with one hand and roll in the opposite direction than desired with the other. The N5902 has the vertical drag area which solves this nicely, and moreover has a push, click and flick motion more similar to touchscreen flicking on a tablet. Much MUCH improved over the 5901. Still missing is multitouch gestures -- not sure if the new logitech touchpad might be compatible and helpful.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2005
1393 posts
67 upvotes
London
aasoror wrote: Not publicly available yet, but its being actively developed (officially).

An XBMC build is indeed exciting news. Best guess on availability timeline?
Jul 8, 2009
273 posts
67 upvotes
for anyone wanting to play flv's on this device. Try bsplayer, I have a tegra 2 tablet and it will only accelerate mkv's or .flv with bsplayer (for some reason mxplayer refuses to)
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
milhouse6 wrote: An XBMC build is indeed exciting news. Best guess on availability timeline?

not a hard line (yet) but more sooner than later.
Banned
Aug 9, 2005
1478 posts
229 upvotes
To clarify the XS model is running XBMC out of the box or what is the difference? I am looking to grab one of these ICS boxes but can wait if it is warranted
Is it really so hard to just be humble and nice? Turn the web around and it starts with you
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Geil wrote: To clarify the XS model is running XBMC out of the box or what is the difference? I am looking to grab one of these ICS boxes but can wait if it is warranted

Its warranted, and its also warranted that current XIOS-DS owners will be part of it.
That said, I can't give exact specs about the hardware of the XIOS-XS (yet).
Mar 4, 2007
351 posts
40 upvotes
I have tried several media players so far(LG, western digital,....) yesterday i bough a 199$ PS3-MW3 bundle at walmart. Ps3 hard too beat...It does everyhting and well.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
hellracer wrote: I have tried several media players so far(LG, western digital,....) yesterday i bough a 199$ PS3-MW3 bundle at walmart. Ps3 hard too beat...It does everyhting and well.

True, and happens to also cost double the price and consumes 6 folds the energy doing the same task ;) (assuming are not effected by the cinavia issue).

[IMG]http://www.belowyourmeans.com/wp-conten ... 3Power.png[/IMG]

For non gamers, this is the worst selection someone can make (IMHO).
Jun 1, 2011
594 posts
146 upvotes
Ajax
aasoror wrote: Its warranted, and its also warranted that current XIOS-DS owners will be part of it.
That said, I can't give exact specs about the hardware of the XIOS-XS (yet).

Hi aasoror,

This is exciting news. I have tried the XMBC on the Apple TV, and I must say it was one of the best media streaming software I have used so far. However,
Apple TV had some limitation in regards to some of my file types, i had some stutter issues. I sold that, and currently am using the WD Tv Live (3rd Gen) and I am not totally impressed with this either

I hope the XIOS-XS comes out soon, can't wait to get my hands on it.. love the XBMC, and combined with the prefect hardware makes it even better

BTW; I used to own a AIOS, sold it beacause of some network issue at home.

Thanks for your great support on this forum
Mar 4, 2007
351 posts
40 upvotes
aasoror wrote: True, and happens to also cost double the price and consumes 6 folds the energy doing the same task ;) (assuming are not effected by the cinavia issue).

[IMG]http://www.belowyourmeans.com/wp-conten ... 3Power.png[/IMG]

For non gamers, this is the worst selection someone can make (IMHO).

beside cinavia , i dont have any issue. ;-) Apparently some users are fighting back sony with this cinavia that is a treat to privacy.
Banned
Aug 9, 2005
1478 posts
229 upvotes
OK I try to resist and not buy it yet :D
Actually colleague had a Chinese PC Mag from HK and one of the ads showed a box w remote looking exactly the same as the Pivos Xios but branded MyGica. Looks like there is also another ICS model w build-in Wifi and also a gyro KBD option but no mention of XMBC yet either

[IMG]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7816/photo5gh.jpg[/IMG]

it could be just similar looking :P
Is it really so hard to just be humble and nice? Turn the web around and it starts with you

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)