XIOS DS Media Player Owners Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2020 6:02 pm
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
Phils wrote: If they are One-For-All remotes, you may be able to contact them about an update file.
no, like I said, these are generic $11 OfA remotes (no usb, no updates, just code lists) not the harmony-lite models.

on a bad note, I switched on my xios ds android box this morning and it popped up with "running gotham for the first time" message and erased all my repos, settings, add-ons, etc. wtf? is there any way to recover from this?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
I had an OfA remote without buttons - only pictures of buttons which changed depending on the device it was controlling. It also didn't have USB. They would send me a sound file which I would play to update my remote.

This is the text of a typical email I received from them to add a device that was not on the list. That isn't to say that yours would do the same however since it is a learning remote, I don't see why not.

Before playing the sound file:
• Turn your speakers' volume to half of MAX and turn the TONE to MAX (if any). If you have small speakers, it's better to turn up the volume more.

While the sound file is playing:
• You should hear a serial beeping sound from your speakers. The display will remain off until the sound has finished playing. If the download was successful, then the display will come back on and the IR Indicator will blink twice.
• If the display shows the Setup screen, and the IR Indicator blinks only once, or if the display does not come back on when the sound file has finished playing, you should wait for 30 seconds to allow the remote control to exit the upgrade state (please be patient, do not remove the batteries). Then you probably need to adjust the speakers' volume and/or remote's position on the surface of the speaker, and go to bullet point 1 here above and try again.

• Press and hold the 'P' key until the screen changes to the setup screen. Then press the ‘OTHER’ key and enter ‘997’ to prepare the remote control for the upgrade by entering its upgrade state mode. The IR Indicator will blink 3 times and the display will go out.
• Place the remote control on the face of the speaker. The remote should face you. It is recommended that the back of the remote touches the speaker.
Phils
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
Phils wrote: I had an OfA remote without buttons - only pictures of buttons which changed depending on the device it was controlling.
oh yeah, that's the really old one that the source was clearancing out a year or two ago - I bought one too, but it broke.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
JackWhyte wrote: on a bad note, I switched on my xios ds android box this morning and it popped up with "running gotham for the first time" message and erased all my repos, settings, add-ons, etc. wtf? is there any way to recover from this?
whew, turned it off the morning, then rebooted it a few times this aft and I now have all my old repos and settings back. scare-eeeee!
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
JackWhyte wrote: whew, turned it off the morning, then rebooted it a few times this aft and I now have all my old repos and settings back. scare-eeeee!
When the mSD card (where XBMC data resides) is not ready when XBMC starts (for whatever odd reasons) it will assume there is nothing there and gives you the "first run" messages.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
aasoror wrote: When the mSD card (where XBMC data resides) is not ready when XBMC starts (for whatever odd reasons) it will assume there is nothing there and gives you the "first run" messages.
well, we had a power outage while I was watching some really bad nic cage movie (dying of the light?) and when I tried it in the morning, it looked totally cleared. took a few boots to get back all my repos too, and only nfl network and nfl pass were there initially.

needless to say I am glad I don't have to refresh everything on the box.
Dec 2, 2006
594 posts
125 upvotes
Bradford
anyone get showbox app to work?
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3441 posts
746 upvotes
Winnipeg
any XIOS DS owners here who has any firmware that I can use? I found my old XIOS DS and when I tried turning it on, it just shows the PIVOS splash screen and the led on the unit keeps blinking... I saw some update.img files in the sd card in it, so I don't know if it tried updating and was interrupted or something, but I can never get it to go beyond the splash screen... if anyone has tofu linux or any update files for it, please point me out the link... pivosforum is gone, so I am unable to get any update files for it...