Shopping Discussion

Cdn Tire staff giving out "refund cards" for returns on purchases paid with gift cards

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2017 5:01 pm
[OP]
Jul 11, 2008
326 posts
39 upvotes

Cdn Tire staff giving out "refund cards" for returns on purchases paid with gift cards

Has anyone else encountered this recently? Previously, when I would return items purchased with a gift card at Cdn Tire stores, I would get another gift card back. Lately (and I've noticed this at several Cdn Tire locations), when I've returned items purchased using a gift card, I've been getting back refund cards that are valid for up to a year (before they expire) and cannot be used as a method of payment at gas bars. I was under the impression retailers are supposed to return purchases on the original method of payment so If I pay using a gift card, I should be getting a gift card back if I return the purchase, no?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
1790 posts
1986 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
I don't see any mention of this on their website:

RETURN POLICY

Unopened items, with a receipt, in original packaging and returned within 90 days of purchase will receive a refund to the original method of payment** or will receive an exchange. Items that are opened, damaged and/or not in resalable condition may not be eligible for a refund or exchange. Click on the tabs below for a list of exceptions and exclusions to our returns policy.

Valid photo ID may be required.

** Less the value of any Canadian Tire ‘Money’ or other benefit given at the time of the original purchase.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
1941 posts
688 upvotes
Barrie
adilh53 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 5:20 pm
Has anyone else encountered this recently? Previously, when I would return items purchased with a gift card at Cdn Tire stores, I would get another gift card back. Lately (and I've noticed this at several Cdn Tire locations), when I've returned items purchased using a gift card, I've been getting back refund cards that are valid for up to a year (before they expire) and cannot be used as a method of payment at gas bars. I was under the impression retailers are supposed to return purchases on the original method of payment so If I pay using a gift card, I should be getting a gift card back if I return the purchase, no?
This is common practice at many retailers. Gift Cards are regulated by the government to be treated like cash, however a return is not regulated nor mandatory and can be refunded to any type of "credit" the retailer wishes. A Merchandise Credit is the term that you are reffering to and they are indeed different than Gift Cards. They have a 1 year expiry at most retailers and are more limited to what they can buy.

Whenever I get these at retailers I either buy a real gift card with them (some stores don't allow this) or buy and return something within the 12 months to keep a fresh card rolling.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4420 posts
182 upvotes
You also don't earn CT Money on purchases paid with a Refund Card.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6796 posts
899 upvotes
I did some returns few weeks in Oshawa and Scarborough. They either returned it to my GC, or they grabbed on off the shelf and returned it
Mar 11, 2017
72 posts
25 upvotes
if you already purchased something with the original gift card you got your CT money on that purchase.... if you did not return the CT money when you returned that item then they deducted it from the refund. they wont let you double dip on the CT money.... also, if you read the small print on best buy gift cards they don't qualify for best buy points. you only get points on the amount minus taxes when you pay the difference using cash/debit or CC. found that to be a sneaky rip off as i bought a PS4 pro and half the amount was from gift cards... so i only got points for the difference i paid in cash minus the taxes (roughly 170 points). got home to look at my account to see a grave error in the points should have been 1 point shy of 500... only to find some tiny tiny exemptions stating that fact.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5183 posts
1373 upvotes
Sounds like they're trying to circumvent the lifetime validity of a gift card by using a refund card instead.
Perhaps not illegal (would have to check with authorities) but definately bad customer service.

Home Depot once refund me on a refund card, but it had no expiry date, just like a regular GC.
Mar 11, 2017
72 posts
25 upvotes
always ask before accepting what they are planning on doing.... and don't ask the clerk who is waiting on you as they in most cases have no idea about the validity of cards and the full disclosure on them... ask for the manager. you will always get butt humped if you take a clerks word for it as they just want to move you along to the next customer and then go home.
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13766 posts
2323 upvotes
Toronto
They have been doing this for years now. If you return without a receipt, they give you one of these cards.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1425 posts
377 upvotes
Victoria
It's not illegal since stores can do pretty mush whatever they want for their return policy as long as they are up front about it. That being said, I rarely shop at Canadian Tire because returns always seem to be a major hassle there
Jun 5, 2009
92 posts
36 upvotes
Vancouver
MaxPower19 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 6:50 pm
It's not illegal since stores can do pretty mush whatever they want for their return policy as long as they are up front about it. That being said, I rarely shop at Canadian Tire because returns always seem to be a major hassle there
+1. CT is the worst place for returns for a mass-market chain (in the GVA at least and probably VI as well...) I've read the individual dealers have considerable power in the company (much more than most chains) and how they operate their individual stores so perhaps they aren't as bad everywhere? I recall reading people saying CT stood behind their merchandise in other areas of the country... but I could be wrong or perhaps that was long ago.
[OP]
Jul 11, 2008
326 posts
39 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 6:29 pm
They have been doing this for years now. If you return without a receipt, they give you one of these cards.
None of the returns were without a receipt so that has nothing to do with getting refund cards. The returns were also within the 90 days and items were all in re-saleable condition.

Thanks to everyone that replied. I was wondering if this was a chain wide change that had been made as many of the cashiers made it sound like. Now that I know its not, I know to ask before they process the refund and to ask for a manager if the customer service staff are offering refund cards and going against their own policies
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13766 posts
2323 upvotes
Toronto
adilh53 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 2:36 am
None of the returns were without a receipt so that has nothing to do with getting refund cards. The returns were also within the 90 days and items were all in re-saleable condition.

Thanks to everyone that replied. I was wondering if this was a chain wide change that had been made as many of the cashiers made it sound like. Now that I know its not, I know to ask before they process the refund and to ask for a manager if the customer service staff are offering refund cards and going against their own policies
Why didn't they refund the amount to your Credit Card?
[OP]
Jul 11, 2008
326 posts
39 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:06 pm
Why didn't they refund the amount to your Credit Card?
I paid using gift cards
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
13766 posts
2323 upvotes
Toronto
adilh53 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 1:28 pm
I paid using gift cards
I see. Ya it's strange they don't give you gift cards back. Another reason not to shop at Canadian Tire.