• Oct 8th, 2009 10:33 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 1, 2009
349 posts
35 upvotes

Ceiling Height Clearance for Treadmill

First, I apologise for the cross-posting, but I had posted a similar question in "Sports & Fitness" but am not getting any feedback advice. In any event, this is really more a "Home" question anyway, I suppose, so maybe this forum will yield more thoughts?

Anyway, my question is what would the height clearance need to be in a room for a treadmill? I plan to put it in the basement, which has pretty low ceilings. This information seems hard to fine, even from googling, so would welcome any insight? For example, taking into account the jogging/running (i.e. being a few inches off the ground) and the height of the running belt area (which is not listed in the specs for the product), assuming a person at, say 5'10", how high should the basement ceiling be, at a minimum?

Many thanks in advance!
7 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1970 upvotes
Why don't you take a measuring tape to the store and measure the height to the running surface and then add your height or the tallest person using it while wearing running shoes? Obviously you don't want your head touching the ceiling and so you will have allow clearance for that and any vertical motion that you make while running.
Dec 31, 2003
190 posts
16 upvotes
I had the same problem, so I bought one of these low profile ones from Canadian Tire. They are usually on sale for $399. It is not heavy duty but you can get a pretty good workout walking fast holding weights. Now it is just sittling there collecting dust.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5 ... admill.jsp
[OP]
Jan 1, 2009
349 posts
35 upvotes
Cheap Cat wrote:
Oct 6th, 2009 2:42 pm
Why don't you take a measuring tape to the store and measure the height to the running surface and then add your height or the tallest person using it while wearing running shoes? Obviously you don't want your head touching the ceiling and so you will have allow clearance for that and any vertical motion that you make while running.
The unit I'm considering is from Costco online, so I thought I would try and get ballpark figures. My basement ceiling is quite low (less than 7 feet) so I know it will be tight in any event. I just didn't know whether it's possible at all. I will try to hit a store and measure a few treadmills; presumably most treadmills have the same clearance from the floor to the top fo the running area?
Nov 10, 2008
49 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
if the treadmill has incline, you should factor that into the tallest person's height as well as the height of the actual unit, plus a few inches for vertical motion while running.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15137 posts
1580 upvotes
Is the manual available online? The manual may have some measurements.

If you're 5'10" + 1" for shoes, that only leaves you with 1' 1", which isn't very much. And considering you'll be jogging your head is going to be VERY close to the ceiling. It'rs probably going to be an uncomfortable experience...
[OP]
Jan 1, 2009
349 posts
35 upvotes
shawno20 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2009 1:43 pm
if the treadmill has incline, you should factor that into the tallest person's height as well as the height of the actual unit, plus a few inches for vertical motion while running.
That's true, though I am willing to do without using the incline. I can work harder by running faster, or do quick walking with incline, if need be.....
coolspot wrote:
Oct 7th, 2009 1:59 pm
Is the manual available online? The manual may have some measurements.

If you're 5'10" + 1" for shoes, that only leaves you with 1' 1", which isn't very much. And considering you'll be jogging your head is going to be VERY close to the ceiling. It'rs probably going to be an uncomfortable experience...
Good idea, coolspot. Unfortunately, google didn't turn up any manuals. Yeah, it will be tight for sure (assuming it's even possible). However, I don't really ever look up anyway when jogging, so it should be ok.....now if I could just figure out if it fits!!! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3055 posts
2393 upvotes
Toronto
Go to a dept store or sporting goods store that sells the same or comparable models from the same brand. Even if it's not exactly the same model, you'll have some sense of how high the base *can* be. If there's really nothing similar, measure the one with the highest base as a worse case scenario.

Then you'll need someone to help you judge how high you bounce while you run in place. Exaggerate your bouncing so that you'll have a bit of buffer in case running in place doesn't accurately simulate your true running. Your helper can just hold up a stick (think high jumping) or hand to a point where your head doesn't touch it and then measures how high the stick/hand is.

As others have said, even if it fits, think about incline. Many treadmill programs include a constant or variable incline in their run so you might need to put it in "manual" mode to get it constantly flat if it won't fit using an incline. Lastly, even if your head fits, most people, even though not claustrophobic, prefer to have several inches of additional clearance. If you think your head is very close to the ceiling, even though you've measured it and it shouldn't touch it, you might unconsciously adjust your run to bounce lower or even slightly slouch, which isn't good.
× < >