• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2018 8:25 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 28, 2017
66 posts
185 upvotes

Ceiling stains

I have been googling quite a bit on this but wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience with this. I don't know much on this sort of stuff besides the basics of caulking so apologies in advance.

So, some ceiling stains have come up. This is in the living room and the bathroom is located just above the ceiling. The most likely cause of all this is from the bathroom, one would assume. The caulking looks good and there doesn't seem to be any cracks anywhere in the bathroom but I am going to start caulking later today.

Now, yesterday I noticed the spot was very faintly wet to the touch. The bath has not been used today and won't be for a few days. The strange thing to me is that the stain runs opposite the bathtub (so if you consider the stain streak to be horizontal, the bathtub is placed vertically). I'm not sure if that has relevance to the issue, though.

My biggest fear would be that this is going to end up being a leaky pipe (the house is 20 years old). If nothing helps in the next few days, I'll be calling a plumber in to inspect.

Worst case Ontario, taking out drywall/patching up the pipes, does anyone know how much that is going to potentially cost depending on severity of damages?

Picture:

11 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1998 posts
624 upvotes
Mississauga
You have to open up the drywall to inspect whether its from your water supply or drain line. My guess is drain related as the pressure from the supply line will make a bigger mess.
The streak is probably where 2 drywall sheet meet. The leaking water usually rest on the low point of the drywall and then slowly sip through.
Feb 25, 2015
920 posts
276 upvotes
York Region
You have to open the ceiling or else you are just guessing where the water is coming from. Perfect time for smooth ceilings Smiling Face With Open Mouth
[OP]
Jul 28, 2017
66 posts
185 upvotes
Thanks for the quick responses.

Not sure that's something I'd be comfortable completing myself.

First call should be to a drywall experts or plumber?
Feb 25, 2015
920 posts
276 upvotes
York Region
Retrodude wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:40 am
Thanks for the quick responses.

Not sure that's something I'd be comfortable completing myself.

First call should be to a drywall experts or plumber?
I think a plumber would be willing to remove the drywall and find the issue assuming it is a plumbing issue but that will really add on the cost if that is a concern for you. You do need to get this resolved asap or there will be more ceiling to replace.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4871 posts
2699 upvotes
If caulking doesn’t resolve the issue and end up finding a pipe issue, Call your home insurance. water damage and repair from a burst pipe is covered. But you have to stop the leak ASAP.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7705 posts
4460 upvotes
Markham
Here's the skinny. If you hire a plumber, he's just going to rip open your ceiling. You may as well do it yourself then fix the problem yourself. Then you can use all the money you saved to hire a guy to fix your ceiling.

Problem solved.
May 13, 2010
83 posts
25 upvotes
Pulling down the ceiling is easy. Poke a hole and start ripping it down......don't pay someone to do that part! Once you have a hole open you can get a flashlight and start looking for a leak. Have someone upstairs in the bathroom while you are downstairs looking.....flush the toilet....see anything? Turn on the sink....see anything?.....turn on the shower....see anything?
From there, then you can call a plumber to fix the issue or diagnose it if you can't find it. Then you'll want someone in to repair the ceiling after the plumber has fixed the issue.
Good luck OP.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4756 posts
821 upvotes
Thornhill
cut a square piece of the wall, see what's is giving the leak. You can use that piece of drywall to plug the hole after(or not)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6960 posts
2905 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Another concern is the proximity of those water stains to the light fixture.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Jul 28, 2017
66 posts
185 upvotes
Appreciate all the comments.

I'm not much of a DIY'er but I think it's time to read/watch youtube and give it a go.

Going to be a busy weekend. If you hear of a house collapsing in the GTA, sorry.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1998 posts
624 upvotes
Mississauga
Recheck your caulking around the bath tub, toilet and sink before your start ripping out drywall.

My mom’s place had a similar stain below the upstairs bathroom. Luckily for her turned out to be the caulking at the base of the tub where it meets the floor.

I too have had leaks but caught them before it made a stain on the drywall in the room below. One was a toilet tank which had excess condensation, the other was a sink faucet that only leaked when in use and the water just followed the path of the copper supply line down.