• Apr 18th, 2011 9:03 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 20, 2005
518 posts
Toronto, Ontario

Cell phone ghost lines?

I've ran into a few friends of mine, that can get those 10-4 phones for $200 with unlimited calling/txting for 5-6 months, then you have to get a new phone/number after it gets cut off....

$300 for a razr same plan, anyone know the deal with this?

Thanks
12 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12226 posts
303 upvotes
they have the hook ups to get you a ghost line. they usually have a specified time where they will assure you service (kindof like a warenty) that usually is up to 6 months. during that time it can be shut off at any point, you just need to make sure that the person offering the service is trusted enough to give a sh/t if you service gets cut.

they generally make you buy a new phone at regular price.

my friends that have used it have all had their service cut within 2 months. the service was gauranteed for 3 and 6 months. the provider did not get them a new number help in any way after the second month. during the first 2 months service was cut 3-4 times each (both once within the first week) but were reinstated.

if you are going to get it, you better know the person directly instead of a friend of a friend of a friend.q

but still, dont get to cozy with your new service cause you never know whats going to happen with it
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
[OP]
Jul 20, 2005
518 posts
Toronto, Ontario
Siefer999 wrote:they have the hook ups to get you a ghost line. they usually have a specified time where they will assure you service (kindof like a warenty) that usually is up to 6 months. during that time it can be shut off at any point, you just need to make sure that the person offering the service is trusted enough to give a sh/t if you service gets cut.

they generally make you buy a new phone at regular price.

my friends that have used it have all had their service cut within 2 months. the service was gauranteed for 3 and 6 months. the provider did not get them a new number help in any way after the second month. during the first 2 months service was cut 3-4 times each (both once within the first week) but were reinstated.

if you are going to get it, you better know the person directly instead of a friend of a friend of a friend.q

but still, dont get to cozy with your new service cause you never know whats going to happen with it
Thanks for the post....
My friend is guarenteeing 4-6months, and he's gone through 2.
He said it helps if you don't download crap too, if u dont download ringer tones, wallpapers and stuff ull get 6 months most likely....heh.

But i see what you mean about getting cozy, im currently on cityfido which is a great plan but its costing me like 1000/year after long distance and txting.

That's a bit ridiculous
May 9, 2006
61 posts
So... does that make this ghost line illegal?

Or like, grey area legal...?
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
This is not just Illegal, its stupid. STAY AWAY. I'll warn you, everything will be monitored/reported if your caught using a ghost line. They will know what model phone you are using, the proximity of where you live, which cellphone towers your ghost line has connected to, which channels/frequencies are used, etc.. dont even think about using your cellphone ever again once its been used with a GhostLine sim thats been flagged. They will track it.
[OP]
Jul 20, 2005
518 posts
Toronto, Ontario
Paolo wrote:This is not just Illegal, its stupid. STAY AWAY. I'll warn you, everything will be monitored/reported if your caught using a ghost line. They will know what model phone you are using, the proximity of where you live, which cellphone towers your ghost line has connected to, which channels/frequencies are used, etc.. dont even think about using your cellphone ever again once its been used with a GhostLine sim thats been flagged. They will track it.
lol, and what u go to jail?

im sure they have bigger fish to fry man, if ur not doing anything illegal, and have clean conversations im sure you will be fine, and if u do get stopped, ill say i bought it off some guy downtown, saying its a promotional package.

no harm can be done,
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
yes they may have bigger fish, but its considered fraud in the eyes of the service provider, someone has to pay the bill (account owner), an investigaion will be launched, police will be involved,. if u get caught, they will find the guy who sold it to you.
[OP]
Jul 20, 2005
518 posts
Toronto, Ontario
Paolo wrote:yes they may have bigger fish, but its considered fraud in the eyes of the service provider, someone has to pay the bill (account owner), an investigaion will be launched, police will be involved,. if u get caught, they will find the guy who sold it to you.
How do you figure?

I'll say i was at a mall and some chinese guy sold it to me saying its a promotional deal, being the naive white guy that I AM NOT i bought it, good luck finding these chinese guy, and linking him to me in anyway, dude ppl been using ghostlines before youve been pooping, if they catch on, it gets Disconnected
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
jcl wrote:How do you figure?

I'll say i was at a mall and some chinese guy sold it to me saying its a promotional deal, being the naive white guy that I AM NOT i bought it, good luck finding these chinese guy, and linking him to me in anyway, dude ppl been using ghostlines before youve been pooping, if they catch on, it gets Disconnected
fine, suit yourself... Just dont come crying on here when they track you down... there is no need to reply anymore. This conversation is over/
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
3762 posts
27 upvotes
I can't seem to find any info on this with Google ... how does it work ?
[OP]
Jul 20, 2005
518 posts
Toronto, Ontario
Paolo wrote:fine, suit yourself... Just dont come crying on here when they track you down... there is no need to reply anymore. This conversation is over/
Thanks for your advice though Paolo, better be safe then sorry, its a good rule to follow.

Just saying from people I've known, have been doing this for years without a problem, but you never know, i guess i'll just stick to my Classic City Fido Unlimited.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
nobody uses ghost lines no more.
with prepaid and pgp on smartphones these days there are cheaper and more secure ways to communicate now.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
2838 posts
180 upvotes
Kingston
infamouskid wrote:
Apr 18th, 2011 1:57 am
nobody uses ghost lines no more.
with prepaid and pgp on smartphones these days there are cheaper and more secure ways to communicate now.

Why are we bumping an almost 5 yr old thread??????
× < >