Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1633 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Cell phone "noob" needs help selecting a cheap carrier

I'm a cell phone "noob", despite getting one more than twelve years ago. I'm a "noob" because I don't actually like cell phones and because I've gone years without one. I didn't touch a smartphone until this year, and as someone who can troubleshoot his own computer, they make me feel like an idiot.

Just under three years ago my mother surprised my brother and I with cell phones, even though she knows I don't like them. She insisted I have one for emergency calls*. The plan cost her only $25 per month (no data), which is probably a good deal, but neither my brother or I like using them, so it's doubtful it's a good deal for us. She is paying all the costs. My mother is not computer-literate and doesn't really know anything about computers or cell phones, and didn't consult either of us beforehand, which probably explains the poor choices. She got one for herself.

So I've had a cell phone for just under three years. It was a dumb phone, but used a touchscreen and had an issue with it auto-muting my calls, so instead of using it maybe twice a month I probably use it once every three months, and mostly just for text messaging. The cell phone does not have call display (would have to pay for that) or voicemails (ditto, plus I hate voicemail so much I would pay a cell phone company to not put voicemail on my phone). The cell phone is constantly on mute so I never hear it ringing. Since there is no way for me to know who tried to call, I don't feel guilt when I see messages saying I have missed calls.

A few months ago a friend lent me an old Android smartphone. He put my chip in it, so it's still on the same plan. Like just about any smartphone it has a touchscreen, but it actually works. It took me two months to discover this, because I hadn't made a phone call in that period of time. Like I said, I pretty much never use the things. Because it's old, and I don't have a manual for it, my computer refuses to recognize it (via USB or bluetooth) so I can't give it the one upgrade I'm interested in: Google maps. I've tried using it at the library and TTC (free wireless) and at a friend's place but the phone has always refused to recognize wireless.

I am terrible with directions, to the point that I literally bought a map of the city and created my own table of contents (such as "this place can be found on page 4, grid section V3") which consists of several small pieces of paper stapled to the booklet.

So the smartphone is both good and bad. I'm sure it was amazing a few years earlier, the sound quality being stunning. Now the contracts are running out in a few months and my mother wanted me to research a good plan. I used Google and ended up being thoroughly confused. It probably doesn't help that I don't really know what I want.

My brother and I are different people, and might have to go on two different plans.

Myself:

I'm comfortable with pre-paid, a plan isn't actually necessary. I use a phone so little that a pay-per-minute "plan" (or pre-paid minutes) might be much cheaper.

I never call outside the city. Long distance is not a consideration.

I don't need free calling during evenings and weekends, etc. At most I would be making one call per week.

I don't care about most smartphone bells and whistles. The only thing I'm interested in there is assisted GPS, which might not even require a smartphone. I know it's possible to use Google maps without an internet connection (other than the installation) so I don't want or need any sort of data plan. (I've only failed to use it because the current smartphone is old and unfamiliar to me.)

Windows phone. This is key. I'm Windows-literate but have almost no clue what I'm doing on an Android. I've never touched an iPhone or a Blackberry and would be similarly clueless. Since I hardly use any features I don't actually care that Android is "better" than Windows. Alternative a dumb phone that can handle assisted GPS.

I have heard really good things about 7 Eleven Speakout, supposedly you can buy $100 worth of minutes and not have to re-up for a whole year, but it's hard to get reliable information on them and I'm not sure they have any Windows phones. Since I converted my phone from dumb to Android with no issues whatsoever I might be worrying about nothing. Then again, maybe my current cell phone is "jailbroken" or whatever the term is. I'm a cell phone noob so I don't know many of the words I'm using.

My Brother:
A plan is probably better for him. He has an issue, and probably would not call my mother to re-up the phone if it runs out of minutes. However, he hardly uses his cell phone either.

He frequently calls people in other parts of Canada.

He doesn't want a smart phone at all, and I don't think he has even sent a text message in his life. I bookmarked a page with a dumb phone that has giant buttons that would be perfect for him.

My Mother:
She wants a plan. She calls outside the country a lot. She is practically cell-phone only.

She is computer-illiterate. She is currently using a touchscreen, but I think it's a dumb phone. She still hasn't figured out how to save numbers and instead asks me to delete most of her call logs, only keeping the phone numbers of her friends. As I've gradually become less competent at using cell phones as they evolve I can hardly help her do this ridiculously easy task. Needless to say, no advanced tasks required.

*This doesn't (just) mean 911. I just find that I hate taking calls on a cell phone, in part because it convinces people I'm always available, and if I want to call someone, I will probably do so from home on my landline anyway. However, if I'm trying to meet up with someone or need to call a cab (or use UberX, I suppose, haven't ever used them yet) finding a payphone might be too much of a hassle. I don't give out my cell phone number except to family or girlfriends.
19 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
That was interesting

I suggest you find a friend that can help you move into the 21st century. If your apprehension to cell phones is over monthly costs, then I understand. But if you refuse to use them because you are not willing to learn about the technology, then I suggest you just forgo them all together and stick to pay phones.

Anyways, to answer your question.

Koodo Prepaid is your best bet.

$15 per month gives you unlimited SMS worldwide, no minutes or data.

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans

You purchase vouchers (Boosters) for voice and data and they never expire as long as you pay the $15 monthly.

$25 - 500 minutes
$30 - 1 Gig of Data

The minutes are good Canada wide.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
cityfone (a.k.a talk and save) is cheaper. i used to be with koodo until i discovered cityfone through rbc (carrier is owned by rogers).
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1633 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Gee wrote: That was interesting

I suggest you find a friend that can help you move into the 21st century. If your apprehension to cell phones is over monthly costs, then I understand. But if you refuse to use them because you are not willing to learn about the technology, then I suggest you just forgo them all together and stick to pay phones.
I don't like getting calls because I used to have friends who would leave messages boiling down to "why didn't you leave your cell phone on?" I don't like the "always available" nature. Unfortunately I don't actually have a choice in this case. I'm not going to buy a cell phone, but my mother will get me one anyway, so I might as well get one that's cheap and has GPS.
Anyways, to answer your question.

Koodo Prepaid is your best bet.

$15 per month gives you unlimited SMS worldwide, no minutes or data.

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans
I'll take a look at this and Cityfone.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I agree with you if you don't want to be accessible to your friends. A cell phone should be there for your convenience and not theirs.

But that is no excuse for not having one. I suggest you get a decent cell phone (LG G3), sign up for Koodo Prepaid, get a talk and data booster and keep your phone turned off. You can turn it on when you need it.

The data will help especially if you're bad with directions. The GPS works a lot better if you have a data plan.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1311 posts
667 upvotes
Toronto, ON
FoFai2015 wrote: my mother surprised me with cell phones, even though she knows I don't like them. She insisted I have one for emergency calls. She is paying all the costs.
FoFai2015 wrote: The cell phone does not have call display (would have to pay for that) or voicemails (I hate voicemail so much). The cell phone is constantly on mute so I never hear it ringing. Since there is no way for me to know who tried to call, I don't feel guilt when I see messages saying I have missed calls.
FoFai2015 wrote: A few months ago a friend lent me an old Android smartphone. It took me two months to discover this, because I hadn't made a phone call in that period of time. Like I said, I pretty much never use the things.
FoFai2015 wrote: I am terrible with directions, to the point that I literally bought a map of the city and created my own table of contents (such as "this place can be found on page 4, grid section V3") which consists of several small pieces of paper stapled to the booklet.
FoFai2015 wrote: At most I would be making one call per week.
FoFai2015 wrote: My Brother:
He doesn't want a smart phone at all, and I don't think he has even sent a text message in his life.
FoFai2015 wrote: I don't give out my cell phone number except to family or girlfriends
JESUS CHRIST, what did I just read? What on earth is this, is this a serious post?
Why are you mommy's boy? Grow up and accept that its 21st century. You went out of your way to type all of that wall of text to say that cell phones are not for you...yet you wouldn't mind using technology for things like Maps and Uber. I don't want to sound mean, but you are one strange person. I hate blabbing on the phone as well, I prefer real life talking with the person...but how on earth is it possible to never make a phone call in 2-3 months? Why even carry a phone with you?
And stop letting your mom control your life.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Varian wrote: JESUS CHRIST, what did I just read? What on earth is this, is this a serious post?
Why are you mommy's boy? Grow up and accept that its 21st century. You went out of your way to type all of that wall of text to say that cell phones are not for you...yet you wouldn't mind using technology for things like Maps and Uber. I don't want to sound mean, but you are one strange person. I hate blabbing on the phone as well, I prefer real life talking with the person...but how on earth is it possible to never make a phone call in 2-3 months? Why even carry a phone with you?
And stop letting your mom control your life.
You and I came to the same conclusion.

But I disagree about one thing, his mother is trying to bring him into the 21st Century he is just stuck in the stone age. If it wasn't for his mother forcing a cell phone on him he wouldn't know what it is.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20459 upvotes
TL;DR. Just get the most basic pay as you go plan and be done with it. Having a smart phone and being always connected is not for everyone. Someone who has not adopted by now won't/don't need to.
Jan 22, 2015
662 posts
180 upvotes
Not sure if OP is a man/woman child or a 12 year old lol
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6433 posts
1239 upvotes
Canada
Op, it might help if you state your age.
Then we can choose the phone and plan that might suit you.

My brother in law was also in stone age with cell phones.
Then I bought him an android and it took him a month to get used to it.
He's 35 yrs old.

Some people are just aren't into tech as others and don't care for it
Mar 15, 2006
187 posts
28 upvotes
For you, 7-11 Speakout Wireless would be the best option since a $25 voucher has a one year expiry date. Text messages are 15 cents each but they also have a $10 unlimited texting add-on. You should buy either a cheap Android or Windows phone and use an app that supports offline maps so you can get by without data.

Not sure what to suggest for your brother or mother but Wind has a cheap Canada-wide unlimited talk and text plan for $25 since your brother calls other provinces. Your mom can use the $8 World Saver add-on for cheap overseas calls. I just don't know if you want to go through the difficulty of determining whether they will get coverage because it's not a given based on dead spots in their network.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
rssdale wrote: Not sure if OP is a man/woman child or a 12 year old lol
It's safe to say he is male. He did mention a girlfriend. That puts him in the late teens to early adult. Since his mother is paying the bill he is probably not working.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
1228 posts
696 upvotes
mississauga
also the Microsoft store is selling the blu hd lte jr for 65 dollars, I have a nokia 520 and just got the big brother blu hd lte, loving it so far
crymsonian wrote: For you, 7-11 Speakout Wireless would be the best option since a $25 voucher has a one year expiry date. Text messages are 15 cents each but they also have a $10 unlimited texting add-on. You should buy either a cheap Android or Windows phone and use an app that supports offline maps so you can get by without data.

Not sure what to suggest for your brother or mother but Wind has a cheap Canada-wide unlimited talk and text plan for $25 since your brother calls other provinces. Your mom can use the $8 World Saver add-on for cheap overseas calls. I just don't know if you want to go through the difficulty of determining whether they will get coverage because it's not a given based on dead spots in their network.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
1228 posts
696 upvotes
mississauga
also windows phones have here maps which you can use without a data plan, I do this all the time
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2075 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
jensen1 wrote: also windows phones have here maps which you can use without a data plan, I do this all the time
Here maps is free on Android, not limited to Windows phones.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
1228 posts
696 upvotes
mississauga
I had 2 bad experiences with here maps on android, no problems on the nokia
libballeng wrote: Here maps is free on Android, not limited to Windows phones.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3873 posts
1142 upvotes
GTA
jensen1 wrote: I had 2 bad experiences with here maps on android, no problems on the nokia
What experiences? Can you share?
I have had Here Maps since its beta time, never encountered any sort of problem.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
1228 posts
696 upvotes
mississauga
1 have a nokia 520 which I bought specifically for the free here maps, works great in the gta, gva and Calgary. I put here maps on my nexus 4 and input an address which was by Dixie and derry and it took me one street over, the other time id did the same thing for another destination. google maps on android works like a charm
terry0703 wrote: What experiences? Can you share?
I have had Here Maps since its beta time, never encountered any sort of problem.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3873 posts
1142 upvotes
GTA
jensen1 wrote: 1 have a nokia 520 which I bought specifically for the free here maps, works great in the gta, gva and Calgary. I put here maps on my nexus 4 and input an address which was by Dixie and derry and it took me one street over, the other time id did the same thing for another destination. google maps on android works like a charm
I see, thanks for sharing your experience.
I also have had the same situation a few times before - I enter an address and Here Maps would find some other location...but it was the same with my GPS navigation unit too. Well even Google Maps sometimes pointed me to the unexpected location when I just quickly entered an address (for example, I wanted to see ABC street in Toronto, but it would point me to ABC street in Chicago in the States).
Oct 24, 2013
396 posts
175 upvotes
Smoke signals. If it's used to choose a Pope, then it can work for you.