Site Comments & Suggestions

Cell phone plan hot deals—are they "cell phones" or "telecom"?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2018 12:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5603 posts
5575 upvotes
Vancouver

Cell phone plan hot deals—are they "cell phones" or "telecom"?

What hot deal subcategory should cell phone carrier plans be posted in? It seems like most of these get posted in "cell phones" but isn't that the category for actual phones? It makes it hard to search for phone hardware deals when that subcategory is cluttered up with carrier plan threads. It seems like "telecom" would be better for carrier plans but not much gets posted there.

How about a "cell phone plans" subcategory? It would be right under "cell phones" and so would be an obvious place to put them when first posting carrier plan hot deals. Then we wouldn't get carrier plans and phone hardware threads all mixed together.
3 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12079 posts
22339 upvotes
Scarborough
If I remember correctly those are the categories hard coded to the front page deals we post. I don't think those are easily modifiable however I do agree that an improvement needs to be made. There should be a clear choice for plans and also devices. I'll see what we can do about this.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5603 posts
5575 upvotes
Vancouver
Any update on this, Tom? Less than half of what is currently posted on the front page of the "cell phones" hot deals section is actual phones. It's mostly carrier plans, a few tablets, and even a smart watch deal thrown in there. It's hard to find what we're looking for with everything all mixed up together. Distinct sections for phone hardware and carrier plans would be really helpful.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
12079 posts
22339 upvotes
Scarborough
There's currently a big project going on which involves the system that powers the categories. Unfortunately until that's done we won't be able to make any changes to categories themselves. It should make it easier to do once completed though.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].