• Sep 14th, 2013 7:46 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 10, 2004
1011 posts
8 upvotes

Cell Phone plans for small businesses

My company is thinking about signing up for small business plan with one of the big three cell phone providers.
Plan is to port over 5 lines/numbers, with data and decent Canadian roaming allowance(will be on the road few times a year).

To all the business owners out there, would you be willing to post your plan and how much you are paying?
Also any tips on negotiating for a better price on a small business plan? Maybe even contact to your dealer.
I know there is Bell Small Business Plan thread, which is a good start. Any offering/deals from Rogers and Telus?

Business plan dealers are welcome to post, provided RFD rules allows it otherwise via PM.

Thanks!
26 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
3810 posts
476 upvotes
I just use Mobilicity, you can get a cheap plan and add roaming, should be fairly cheap.
On mine i call long distance quite often so i have north america long distance which makes the plan about $30, don't think you can beat that to be honest.
Apr 21, 2011
58 posts
Toronto
Do you know how one can get a 416 number but a cellphone? I know 416 is normally associated with landlines but I want to it for a cell phone... Possible?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3743 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
I have 3 Telus lines

$57 + tax gives each line:
250 minutes outgoing
Unlimited incomming
Caller ID, voicemail
Unlimited sms, mms
6gb data

Overall, the 250 outgoing minutes is quite low, but for my company it's all about data. We e-mail a lot, use IM apps such as whatsapp, and we never go over the minutes because most of the time we use VOIP calling using the LTE network.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
3810 posts
476 upvotes
chibiks wrote:
Aug 11th, 2013 9:22 pm
Do you know how one can get a 416 number but a cellphone? I know 416 is normally associated with landlines but I want to it for a cell phone... Possible?
Used to be possible but might be hard now.
Just FYI though, they also ran out of 905 numbers and giving away 289 numbers. When i say now i actually mean in the last 3 years.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3743 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
flafson wrote:
Aug 11th, 2013 11:26 pm
Used to be possible but might be hard now.
Just FYI though, they also ran out of 905 numbers and giving away 289 numbers. When i say now i actually mean in the last 3 years.
If you really need a 416 number, try going on cell clients.ca and take over an existing contract that has a 416 number. I can't stand 647 and especially 289 lol
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
3810 posts
476 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2013 4:14 am
If you really need a 416 number, try going on cell clients.ca and take over an existing contract that has a 416 number. I can't stand 647 and especially 289 lol
That's an interesting idea but then again, most contracts over there are crazy silly, why would anyone get into a contract to begin with is stupid and then those kind of contracts are even worse. Drives me crazy to be honest.
Go Mobilicity with their cheaper plans and it will cost you less than half any other "business" plan you will find out there.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3743 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
flafson wrote:
Aug 12th, 2013 8:51 am
That's an interesting idea but then again, most contracts over there are crazy silly, why would anyone get into a contract to begin with is stupid and then those kind of contracts are even worse. Drives me crazy to be honest.
Go Mobilicity with their cheaper plans and it will cost you less than half any other "business" plan you will find out there.
I was with Wind n and off and honestly I couldn't stand it. So many missed calls even though my phone never rang, dropped cell phone calls, reception all of a sudden going completely static. I decided it wasn't worth the discount to go with a brand that was not reliable. For me reliability is King and I am willing to pay a premium for it. However, that's just my experience. Good to hear that you had a positive experience with Mobi and saving money!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2004
1011 posts
8 upvotes
flafson wrote:
Aug 11th, 2013 8:52 pm
I just use Mobilicity, you can get a cheap plan and add roaming, should be fairly cheap.
On mine i call long distance quite often so i have north america long distance which makes the plan about $30, don't think you can beat that to be honest.
Couple of us are actually currently with Mobi. Mobi's network is definitely NOT business ready, too many missed calls and on some occasion drop calls. Also, we don't want to worry about if we will have reception (dead zones or inside buildings) or not within the zone. Mobi for personal use is fine but definitely not for businesses. And with the uncertainty looming around Mobi we don't want to be caught scrambling for a new provider in the rare chance it shuts down.

I agree with NEMESIS_2008, both Wind are Mobilicity network are not business ready and its understandable as they are relatively young. Reliability is key for a business line.
But, if you can live with Wind or Mobilicity's network and save money, good for you!
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
3810 posts
476 upvotes
I guess it depends what you need with your phone. Maybe if i was making calls to clients and they would call me back 24/7 then it would bother me. I very rarely have any problem with them or the network, reception is fine and no dropped calls, from my experience it's very similar to Rogers and Bell in that regard.
For me though, most of my business related is about communicating with suppliers and other behind the scene business so the phone isn't stressed to the level that i feel anything different.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2004
1011 posts
8 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2013 9:39 pm
I have 3 Telus lines

$57 + tax gives each line:
250 minutes outgoing
Unlimited incomming
Caller ID, voicemail
Unlimited sms, mms
6gb data

Overall, the 250 outgoing minutes is quite low, but for my company it's all about data. We e-mail a lot, use IM apps such as whatsapp, and we never go over the minutes because most of the time we use VOIP calling using the LTE network.
NEMESIS_2008, is this a business plan or consumer plan? How did you get it?
Something like this would be ideal, but I do agree 250 min outgoing is little on the low side but VOIP is defiantly an option given the 6gb data. Also, I assume Unlimited evening (starting 6 PM) and weekend mins?

Cheers.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3743 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
I0s wrote:
Aug 13th, 2013 1:51 pm
NEMESIS_2008, is this a business plan or consumer plan? How did you get it?
Something like this would be ideal, but I do agree 250 min outgoing is little on the low side but VOIP is defiantly an option given the 6gb data. Also, I assume Unlimited evening (starting 6 PM) and weekend mins?

Cheers.

These are business plans.
The 250 weekday minutes did not bother me at all. It was all about data. 90% of the time I make and receive calls using voip on the cell so it don't even go past 100 minutes. Plus I subscribe to comwave and their app has a feature where you would dial the number you wish to call, and their server will call you. You pick up and the call (meaning it's incoming and incoming is free) and then it connects the call.

Unlimited calling kicks in after 6pm on weekdays and all weekend.

I go this plan from a Telus rep who was advertising her services on Craigslist.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
3810 posts
476 upvotes
I can't believe you go through all that trouble just to make a phone call... But i guess whatever works for you.
OP, if i were you, i'd try Mobilicity for a month and see if it works for you or not, if not then do what NEMESIS_2008 does. With Mobilicity you don't have any contracts so your only cost will be the 1 month plus whatever they charge to sign up (which is usually just a sim card, like $20)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2011
5908 posts
750 upvotes
Vaughan
Rogers business plan
$50 each line

Unlimited north American calling, from anywhere in canada
Unlimited text video picture messaging
Call display
Voice mail
1gb data