Tags:
None
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto

cell phone purchase scams

New a Galaxy S3 is $400 + tax with a plan.
used they are asking $300- $400.

Any scams or worries with a used phone?

thanks
tt
13 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
46968 posts
9263 upvotes
tungustungus wrote: New a Galaxy S3 is $400 + tax with a plan.

thanks
tt
Only way to avoid scams are to avoid people from Kijiji. Better to try RFD BST. That being said, always ask for a proof of receipt/purchase when buying the phone. Or a copy of it. You have the full right to test out the phone before you buy and if you don't feel satisfied, you can just walk away if you think something is wrong.
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6138 posts
2941 upvotes
Kanata
tungustungus wrote: New a Galaxy S3 is $400 + tax with a plan.

thanks
tt
Where are you seeing $400 + plan for SGS3? I saw one for $0 with a plan the other day.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
Wind Mobile $30 unlimited plan 2 year sign up.
where are you seeing it for $0?
Penalty Box
Nov 23, 2012
1451 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Only way to avoid scams are to avoid people from Kijiji. Better to try RFD BST. That being said, always ask for a proof of receipt/purchase when buying the phone. Or a copy of it. You have the full right to test out the phone before you buy and if you don't feel satisfied, you can just walk away if you think something is wrong.
thanks....I was almost forgetting about stolen phones.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6138 posts
2941 upvotes
Kanata
tungustungus wrote: Wind Mobile $30 unlimited plan 2 year sign up.
Oh Winf, Bell has it for $0 on 3 years.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
46968 posts
9263 upvotes
tungustungus wrote: thanks....I was almost forgetting about stolen phones.
Usually its the iPhones that are stolen apparently but hey, even Android phones can be. Best thing is to call up the carrier (Wind) if you're buying a Wind S3 used and provide them with the IMEI # to see if its blacklisted into their system. However, lets say that you buy a used Mobilicity S3 (same AWS network) and its unlocked and stolen, the IMEI will be blacklisted on Mobi's network. BUT you can use it on Wind.

So I would strongly suggest you ask the seller if he/she can provide you with the IMEI # or Serial # I think and call up Wind if a Wind phone or Mobilicity if a Mobi phone and see if its blacklisted as stolen or lost.
Blanka
Jun 9, 2007
874 posts
210 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
I think the general rule is don't buy something if it seems too good to be true.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
46968 posts
9263 upvotes
Theory wrote: I think the general rule is don't buy something if it seems too good to be true.
Aye. Good giveaway is price.
Blanka
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10715 posts
1254 upvotes
Vancouver
tungustungus wrote: Wind Mobile $30 unlimited plan 2 year sign up.
The reason the GS3 on Wind is so expensive is because they are a discount carrier that offers cheaper monthly plans - the trade-off is more expensive up-front costs for hardware.

Rogers, Bell, Telus, etc. are the opposite, they've got very cheap contract phones (GS3 has been offered for free on many occasions) but expensive plans.
<< Public Mobile, Zoomer Wireless, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital user >>
FS: 6TB HDD, Pixel 2, Phanteks LP cooler, free stuff
MY HEATWARE
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20776 posts
6618 upvotes
London
Don't forget that any phones reported stolen are going to be banned from all networks starting Sept 30.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
l69norm wrote: Don't forget that any phones reported stolen are going to be banned from all networks starting Sept 30.
link please.
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20776 posts
6618 upvotes
London
http://cwta.ca/blog/2012/11/08/canada%e ... one-theft/

Canada’s Wireless Carriers Take Action to Help Battle Smartphone Theft

Industry launches initiative to raise awareness about keeping personal data secure

OTTAWA – November 8, 2012 – The Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association (CWTA) and Canada’s wireless carriers today announced a plan of action to assist law enforcement agencies with their efforts to combat the theft of wireless devices. By September 30, 2013, the authorization of any GSM or LTE wireless device on any Canadian network will include verification that the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number of the device has not been reported lost or stolen on any Canadian network, as well as some international networks that are available in the GSMA IMEI database.
May 23, 2006
243 posts
17 upvotes
What about phone warranties when buying from craiglist etc.? Will Fido honour the warranty even if the proof of purchase is under the original owner's name?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)